Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So every morning and every evening I watch the news. Sometimes I watch WPIX news or ABC news. Every now and then I'll tune into CNN. Sometimes I read the paper, whether it be the NY Times, the Daily News, or The Post. All we ever hear these days is about the economy, the job market, unemployment rates, and all the horrible things attributed to either the president, the governor, the senators, the legistlature or some other person in politics. The economy, both national and global are completely down the tubes. I get that. I don't understand why people just can't understand. It is not Obama's fault that the global economy is bad. It is not (in NY's case) Governor Patterson's fault that the state budget is in shambles. So in NY's case, Governor Patterson asks state workers to please take a pay cut. Union offcials are up in arms saying "NO NO NO. Our workers won't take a pay cut." Meanwhile the alternative is if the workers don't take the pay cut, 8,900 people will be out of work come August. The union's response to this is that "The Governor won't save as much money for the state as he thinks by forcing pay cuts or laying off employees." Ummm.... Let's see.... Lemme do the math here. Now if all the employees take even a pay cut of $1,000 per year and there are about 1.5 million state workers then that is

1,500,000 x $1,000 = $1,500,000,000. I think 1.5 billion is a big savings, don't you?

Now if he lays off 8,900 state workers who go home with about $25,000 per year starting (he'd be laying off the newbies not people who have been employed more than two years) that is still 8,900 x $25,000 = $222,500,000. That is a bare minimum. Which granted, by laying off those 8,900 employees he's only saving less than a quarter of what he'd save if EVERYONE took a paycut, but still, that $222,500,000 he can put elsewhere or put towards the stupid fare hikes the MTA wants to put in place. Sighs. If everyone would do their part to help rather than bitch and moan maybe this world wouldn't be as fucked up as it is.

by on Mar. 25, 2009 at 8:51 AM
Replies (11-19):
blondekosmic15
by on Mar. 25, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Quoting jalex:

I think that he has done a great job so far.  Ridiculous to judge him just yet....

I'm sure by 2012 the cheers for change will turn into tears. Did not vote for the man.....he has 0 excecutive * nat'l security * foreign policy experience...end of story!

blondekosmic15
by on Mar. 25, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Quoting Katie911:

Obama was protrayed as a miracle worker.  He was suppose to be elected, take off and fix it all.  And he didn't.  So they say he is horrible.

I am not an Obama fan.  Since he was elected he has cut my sons disability, and he is working to lift restrictions on abortion.  He also cleared the way for stem cell research.  I am waiting to see him do what he promised during his campiegn.

A few of my numerous reasons for not liking or trusting the man.....I think we will be waiting & waiting & waiting for his empty promises to be fulfilled!

dr_m
by on Mar. 25, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting jalex:

I think that he has done a great job so far.  Ridiculous to judge him just yet....

I'm sure by 2012 the cheers for change will turn into tears. Did not vote for the man.....he has 0 excecutive * nat'l security * foreign policy experience...end of story!

I agree, jalex,  he has done a great job so far !   He's got all he can do with a ton of probems not the least of which is the economic mess he inherited ....He is doing very well at handling this extremely difficult situation / crisis .... It's so refreshing. whew, Not to have a President who is protecting big oil...   and who cares about we, the people of the USA       ...      NOT the end of story.. 

chesiretuff
by Member on Mar. 25, 2009 at 10:20 AM
Quoting Jax_mommy:

If my job was to ask if I would take a thousand dollar pay cut, so others wouldn't be laid off, I would do it without a thought.

That's just me though.  I believe in helping my fellow "man".  My husband would do it too... He is an assistant plant supervisor at a distribution company, and he has taken steps to help his employees.  (IE cutting all around hours to keep his employees on the job.) 

It's about relearning empathy ladies... Ya know empathy "how would I feel if I were laid off, how would MY life change???"

This is how I feel too. 

Even if they didn't want to do it to help their fellow man, can't they do it for the selfish reason:  they could very well be laid off.  A pay cut seems a lot better than no job at all.

acrogodess
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Quoting chesiretuff:

Quoting Jax_mommy:

If my job was to ask if I would take a thousand dollar pay cut, so others wouldn't be laid off, I would do it without a thought.

That's just me though.  I believe in helping my fellow "man".  My husband would do it too... He is an assistant plant supervisor at a distribution company, and he has taken steps to help his employees.  (IE cutting all around hours to keep his employees on the job.) 

It's about relearning empathy ladies... Ya know empathy "how would I feel if I were laid off, how would MY life change???"

This is how I feel too. 

Even if they didn't want to do it to help their fellow man, can't they do it for the selfish reason:  they could very well be laid off.  A pay cut seems a lot better than no job at all.

I'd rather take a pay cut than be unemployed right now. It's harder to find a job than it has ever been!

aidansmommy961
by Member on Mar. 25, 2009 at 10:24 AM

*Sigh* If we were all judged on how fast we were able to perform miracles after being at our jobs less than 100 days the unemployment rates would be sooooo much higher. Just some food for thought.

A President can only do so much on his own. He has to deal with Congress and States still reserve the right to do certain things their own way if they so choose.

Please give the man a break. And for the record, I think he's doing a great job. I am much more comfortable bringing my son into an Obama presidency despite current economic conditions than a Bush presidency

~Catherine~

Wife to Ryan and mommy to be to Aidan.

cm08
by on Mar. 25, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting Katie911:

Obama was protrayed as a miracle worker.  He was suppose to be elected, take off and fix it all.  And he didn't.  So they say he is horrible.

I am not an Obama fan.  Since he was elected he has cut my sons disability, and he is working to lift restrictions on abortion.  He also cleared the way for stem cell research.  I am waiting to see him do what he promised during his campiegn.

A few of my numerous reasons for not liking or trusting the man.....I think we will be waiting & waiting & waiting for his empty promises to be fulfilled!

rofl

cdgoldilocks
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Quoting Jax_mommy:

I could not afford to take a paycut right now. I live in CA, and my take home pay has not gone up in 5 years. My husband lost  about 25% of his income working for a small business owner. We are hurting. All the while, the cost of food, utilities, clothing, healthcare, etc continue to climb. I cannot afford it. There is only so much you can ask the American people to cut. I think our government needs to cut out its spending.

2egbhgx.jpg Eleanor Roosevelt image by whatadollx3

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have. -Barry Goldwater

jalex
by on Mar. 25, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Yea, well, I think that you'll be wrong ;)  Apparently the majority of US citizens disagree with you too.  Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting jalex:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured