Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hot Topic (3/26): Should the drinking age be lowered to 18?

As reported by MSNBC.msn.com last summer:

"College presidents from about 100 of the best-known U.S. universities, including Duke, Dartmouth and Ohio State, are calling on lawmakers to consider lowering the drinking age from 21 to 18, saying current laws actually encourage dangerous binge drinking on campus."

Do you think it's a good idea to lower the drinking age from 21 to 18 in the United States? 

Did you drink before you were 21? 

Would you want your children to drink before age 21?  

What would you do if you were in charge of law-making?  

Feel free to join us on these CafeMom Groups:

The CafeMom  Newcomers ClubThe CafeMom Newcomers Club     Current Events & Hot TopicsCurrent Events & Hot Topics  
Advice for MomsAdvice for Moms 
  Kids, Fun & Photos!Kids, Fun & Photos!   The Cafe @ CafeMomThe Cafe @ CafeMom

by on Mar. 26, 2009 at 1:33 AM
Replies (51-55):
Aaronsmommy19
by on Mar. 27, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Do you think it's a good idea to lower the drinking age from 21 to 18 in the United States?  yes cuase 18,19,and 20 yr olds are doin it anyway.

Did you drink before you were 21?  im not 21, im 20 and yes i do drink underage, but i do it responsibly. if my hubbys drinken then i dont so i can be the dd.

Would you want your children to drink before age 21?  yes as long as their responsible about it.

What would you do if you were in charge of law-making?  i'd change the drinking age to 18. my hubby thinks if ur old enough to buy ciggs u should be old enough to buy beer. which i agree.. and their doin it anyway weather their old enough or not.

LavenderMom23
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2009 at 11:27 AM
As much as I'd like to say that it's not a good idea, I agree with the other mom. If you are old enough to die for your country, you should be considered old enough to buy a beer.
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Mar. 27, 2009 at 2:02 PM

Quoting ellyc19111:

Why not? People smoke and take drugs then. If they're gonna drink at age 18 I'm sure they'll find a way. I was married at age 18 and drank champaign at my wedding. Nobody carded me.

Me too   :)

Wife of a Marine - Mommy to a Little Prince

& Expecting a Princess in May!                

vanessa31087
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:21 AM

Do you think it's a good idea to lower the drinking age from 21 to 18 in the United States?  yes I do

Did you drink before you were 21?  yup started drinking at 17

Would you want your children to drink before age 21?  if they want to drink and I feel they are responsible enough to handle it and the consequences then Ill let em

What would you do if you were in charge of law-making? lower the drinking age to 18 but make it so after the first time you get a DUI your license is taken away forever

cowgirlsr2
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:49 AM

I say hell to the NO! I rarely drank then and never now.If they lower the drinking age in little towns like mine were teens already go out drink and drive it will just get worse. I'm aware they can smoke and join the military but joining the military helps teach discipline which I hope will teach them to not drink and drive.

Smoking it either will or will not happen and with the cost of smokes good luck with that.You can get shit faced drunk cheaper than you can buy cigs.I don't know what you think of my dads trick but this might work if you catch your kids smoking or drinking he did this with my sisters He made 1 smoke a whole pack of menthol back to back till they got extremely sick.

The other he made her drink a bunch of water and eat raw eggs and she got so sick she never came home drunk again.My dad did stuff like this if we got in to something we were not supposed to be in .Like oreos I hate the I found his stash he made me eat them all I got sick and now I hate them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)