Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

*UPDATE*Look at these pics...do they make you upset too???

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2009 at 10:33 AM
  • 8 Replies

I know this girl and she recently posted these pics on her myspace. The horse does not belong to her but whoever it belongs to should (JMO) take better care of it!!!! I am very upset to see these pictures. The horse is young, about 4 yrs old. I will post a couple pictures of the horse and then the last pic I post will be a picture of mine so you can compare the WEIGHT difference! It disgusts me to see a horse so young and so malnurished and skinny!!! People who cant take care of their animals SHOULDNT OWN ANY!!!!

first pic:

second pic:

third pic:

Now here's a pic of my horse...can YOU see the difference in WEIGHT or is it just me???

THESE HORSES ARE THE SAME AGE.

This is the message I sent her. I made sure I wasn't putting the blame on her because this horse is NOT hers.

-Hey, I'm not trying to hurt anyones feelings or anything but the horse in them new pics you put up is WAY too skinny! Even for riding! Regardless of whether or not she is old your young she should NOT look like that. Thats borderline abuse! And it sickens me to see the horse looking like that. I'm guessing the horse is between the ages of 2 and 4 right? Greenbroke? Young? I'm sorry i'm taking my frustration out on you about it but im not going to sit here and say nothing. I am very angry to see that the horse was even being ridden when it looks like its damn near ready to collaps from its own body weight and then to have someone on its back to top it off??? I know you have way more horse knowlege than that Sarah. That horse needs a good vet check IMMEDIATLY, it needs to be de-wormed, AND it needs its weight built back up before any riding or excercising takes place! Any knowlegable horse person knows these things. Did you see how thick and long the horses winter fur is? Thats from lack of nutrition in its diet which you can obviously tell from how skinny it is. You should NEVER be able to see the ribs on a horse ( if you can feel them under a good thick layer of fat that is alright) but to see them sticking out like that is disgusting, also those hip bones...I AM NOT HAPPY TO SEE THOSE PICTURES AT ALL! Whoever owns that horse is lucky I dont report them for animal neglect and abuse, THATS HOW PISSED OFF I AM! And you know its not easy to piss me off. Take a look at the pics I have of my mare. The one where I am standing next to her in a black tank top was when she was 4, and that was her prime weight...perfect bill of health. When you look at that picture compare the two of the horse in your pics to my horse. HUGE DIFFERENCE! That horse is sooooo malnurished and so skinny I almost want to cry!

I am willing to give as much advice and tips on how to get that horses weight back up, BUT DONT TAKE MY ADVICE FOR GRANTED! When I tell you how it can be brought back up DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT OR MAKE THE PEOPLE WHO OWN THE HORSE DO SOMETHING! and DO NOT BY ANY MEANS let what I have said in this message go to waiste. THIS IS SERIOUS SHIT! That horse is very sick.

1) GRAIN the horse (about 2 cups to start out for about a month because the horse is soooo skinny and then after a month of 2 cups double it to 4 or so but dont go any higher!) once in the morning, and once in the afternoon. I recommend going to either fleetfarm for grain or a local feed mill. If you go to fleetfarm i would recommend SPROUT or ULTRA grains. NOT STRAIGHT OATS. If you go to a regular feedmill ask for regular horse grain.
2) Get the horse on a supplement! We used SOY MASH and BEET PULP for our horses, it works GREAT and they loved it! We had that little colt on the beet pulp (the one that was rejected by its mom and he loved it and it worked great on getting his weight up. When i first got Dreamer she was real skinny and once we got her on the soy mash she filled out within months (I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE SOY MASH). The SOY MASH AND BEET PULP you can get at your local feed mill (BUT DO NOT MIX THE TWO) OR also at fleetfarm they have FARNAM WEIGHT BUILDER. its a premium high calorie supplement that provides added fuel for preformance without the risk of colic and provides extra calories in the form of fat for maintaining body condition. Also improves skin and coat condition as well.
3) Make sure the vet checks the horses teeth to make sure nothing is obstructing him/her from eating.
4) DEWORM THE HORSE. Dewormer you can get at fleetfarm for pretty cheap. I always got Farnam Ivercare Ivermectin Dewormer Paste. Its a one dose supplement and will run you about $7.00. Before you deworm her make sure you measure out the right amount in weight. it has it right on the tube of paste. I would start out at 800-1000lbs, its hard for me to tell how much she would weigh because I haven't seen her myself or stood next to her to get a good idea BUT inbetween 800-1000lbs sounds right, and you cant over dose so dont worry about that.
5) DO NOT RIDE THE HORSE ANYMORE UNTIL IT IS UP TO HEALTH!!!
6) At fleetfarm they have mineral blocks for horses, maybe get one of those also. They are great for extra calories and vitamins, they also improve hooves.
*ALSO* Do not ride the horse or excercise it until of course its weight and health are WAY up AND do not work it until after it eats every day. I would recommend afternoon rides or workouts and then after you or they are done working the horse make sure it is grained and fed.

If you want, you can write all this down so you know or you can tell whoever owns the horse exactly what to get.
The horse should be grained every day (morning and night). The soy mash<--- (highly recommended) or beet pulp (whichever you or they decide to get) can be mixed right in with the grain. Horses love that.
Sorry this message was so long but I felt I had to write it.

by on Mar. 26, 2009 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mama2b709
by Member on Mar. 26, 2009 at 10:35 AM

PS: The breed of the skinny horse is AQHA. (Registered Quarter Horse) just to let you know. I know alot of you were asking if it was a mule and its not, it just looks that gangly.

My horse (last pic) is quarter horse, arabian, and appaloosa.

realtorshelly
by on Mar. 26, 2009 at 10:40 AM

The first horse is definitely thin. I think his winter coat makes him look worse than he is...maybe? I've seen worse.

Yours is gorgeous, and very healthy looking !

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Mar. 26, 2009 at 10:47 AM

What was the update?

Were you actually trying to help her?

You started off the message by saying "I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings" but then wind up saying you're ready to report for neglect...if people get mad at you, it's always possible they will take it out on the animal.  It's never wise to say things like that online especially. 

The horse is clearly too thin, but did she just get it, if the pictures just went up?  Is it possible she bought the horse in that condition? 

mama2b709
by Member on Mar. 26, 2009 at 10:49 AM

The horse was not bought in that condition, they have owned it since birth.

Quoting anxiousschk:

What was the update?

Were you actually trying to help her?

You started off the message by saying "I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings" but then wind up saying you're ready to report for neglect...if people get mad at you, it's always possible they will take it out on the animal.  It's never wise to say things like that online especially. 

The horse is clearly too thin, but did she just get it, if the pictures just went up?  Is it possible she bought the horse in that condition? 

mama2b709
by Member on Mar. 26, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Thank you! She is a doll :) Best horse i've ever owned and first horse I've ever broke to ride myself...completely kid safe.

Quoting realtorshelly:

The first horse is definitely thin. I think his winter coat makes him look worse than he is...maybe? I've seen worse.

Yours is gorgeous, and very healthy looking !

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Mar. 26, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Gotcha...has she said anything back?

I also just saw where the OP was....and that this was the update...

mama2b709
by Member on Mar. 26, 2009 at 10:55 AM

She hasn't said anything back yet, I just really hope something is done to make the horse healthier. I had previously asked the girl if the horse had been dewormed and she said no and that there were worms in its poop.

Quoting anxiousschk:

Gotcha...has she said anything back?

I also just saw where the OP was....and that this was the update...

jzsgrandma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2009 at 11:13 AM

First off your horse does not look chunky it looks perfect! I have a 15yr old stock QH and he is the picture of health and looks just like yours. I had a thoroughbred off the track a few years back who was a hard keeper. Lots and lots of work to keep him beautiful but it can be done. Be careful when reporting a thin horse. Often people just move the horse out of sight and then you worryeven more. My mother befriended our neighbor when I was a kid because their pony was way too thin. She asked if she could help by bringing over some feed for the pony. The owners had divorced and they tied the pony under a apple tree for the poor thing to eat apples all day. By being nice my mother eventually got the pony and we had her until she died a happy old gal. I completely understand being angry but sometimes being nice can get you further.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN