Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

NFL player and the police with MIL dying!

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2009 at 10:18 PM
  • 24 Replies

Police delayed NFL player as relative died

Dallas Morning News - ‎6 hours ago‎
AP A Dallas police officer who detained an NFL player in a hospital parking lot despite his pleas that his mother-in-law was dying inside has been placed on ...

by on Mar. 26, 2009 at 10:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
erimar2
by on Mar. 26, 2009 at 11:03 PM

bump

MandSMOM
by on Mar. 26, 2009 at 11:26 PM

I watched the video. I agree with the officer pulling them over. He didn't know why they were driving that way. That said when they told him what was going on, he should have let them all go. He took it too far. 

BabyGracesMommy
by Member on Mar. 27, 2009 at 2:47 AM

Some cops just feel the need to abuse their power. I would have ran into the hospital as well, despite what the officer said, had that been my mom!

PestPatti
by on Mar. 27, 2009 at 8:48 AM

The cop was an asshat. Yes he should have pulled them over, but the rest was pure BS.     

Junebug926
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Cops should never believe anything coming out of people's mouths. They are lied to daily. However, he should have rushed them up there to see if it was true then take action after that.

sassyandy124
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2009 at 10:03 AM

I really wish we would let cops do their job. Who gives a shit if it was an "NFL player"? Is that supposed to make it ok? Are they supposed to get a free pass? You know what makes this pathetic? If the cop had let him off, the SAME people bitching about how 'bad' the cop is, would have been bitching that he let off a NFL player. Anyone can say ANYTHING, and  they do especially when they have been pulled over. That guy was abrasive and rude. No wonder the cop went on the offensive with him. "He pointed his gun at me" HAHAHAHAHA Whatever.

Those who can't get behind our troops should feel free to stand in front of them!!!!!

Melissa0741
by New Member on Mar. 27, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Quoting sassyandy124:

I really wish we would let cops do their job. Who gives a shit if it was an "NFL player"? Is that supposed to make it ok? Are they supposed to get a free pass? You know what makes this pathetic? If the cop had let him off, the SAME people bitching about how 'bad' the cop is, would have been bitching that he let off a NFL player. Anyone can say ANYTHING, and  they do especially when they have been pulled over. That guy was abrasive and rude. No wonder the cop went on the offensive with him. "He pointed his gun at me" HAHAHAHAHA Whatever.

I didn't get to see the video, but I read about this yesterday. I think the fact that he was an NFL player is irrelevant. From what I read, I agree with most other people -- the cop did have a reason to pull him over, but once he found out where he was going he could have let him off (or at least hurried up). He could have even walked with him up into the hospital if the ticket was really that important to him. I would think this way even if it was a "regular" person.

And I understand that a lot of people do use excuses to get out of tickets, but wasn't he pulled over right by the hospital?? I mean, I think that's a pretty good indication that he was at least there visiting somebody...

sassyandy124
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Quoting Melissa0741:

Quoting sassyandy124:

I didn't get to see the video, but I read about this yesterday. I think the fact that he was an NFL player is irrelevant. From what I read, I agree with most other people -- the cop did have a reason to pull him over, but once he found out where he was going he could have let him off (or at least hurried up). He could have even walked with him up into the hospital if the ticket was really that important to him. I would think this way even if it was a "regular" person.

And I understand that a lot of people do use excuses to get out of tickets, but wasn't he pulled over right by the hospital?? I mean, I think that's a pretty good indication that he was at least there visiting somebody...

You have to remember that the truthfulness of his statement came later. The police officer had ONLY this man's word, and that of his passengers at the time. He and his passengers were loud, abrasive, and moving around after they were told not to. This is the kind of situation police are TAUGHT to be VERY careful of, because you can't KNOW what the people are going to do. Sure they could be telling the truth, they could also be lying and have a gun. You just don't know, so you have to take precautions. The police DO have a right to protect themselves against posible threats. The man ran a red light. That is very serious. He could have caused an accident, or killed someone that was crossing the street. I wonder if people would be so sympathetic if he had? I have been in situations where I was rushing to the hospital for an emergency. I understand it is stressful and scary. However it does NOT give you carte' blanche' to put other people's lives at risk. Here is another thought. If his wife was SOOOOO concerned about her mother, and she was already IN the hospital for breast cancer, WHY wasn't the family WITH her already????? Things that make you go HMMMMMM.....

Those who can't get behind our troops should feel free to stand in front of them!!!!!

gilbertgrl627
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2009 at 10:45 AM

They were talking about this on the radio yesterday while I was at work. They had people call in who had similar things happen to them. And there were several, where all the PO had to do was follow them up to the hospital room, or over to the friend's house. One girl missed her mother dying, another got to her friend minutes before he bled out from trying to kill himself. Luckily, the cop called an ambulance while following the girl over to the house, and they were able to save him. But still. In all honesty, I don't care if he's an NFL player. I don't care if he's Bill Gates. Just follow them to where they're going, and see what's up.

Quoting sassyandy124:

cdgoldilocks
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2009 at 10:49 AM

I think we should treat people as we want to be treated. How would the officer have reacted if his wife wanted to get to the hospital to say goodbye?

A PP wondered why the family wasn't already there at the hospital. The truth is, we don't know the circumstances. Maybe family had been taking turns being with mom and she took a turn for the worst. For all we know, there were other family members inside that alerted the NFL family her death was imminent. I have a mom. I love my mom. If she were dying, I would want to be there for her and comfort her.

I have seen many people die. No one should die alone. It means a LOT to family members to be there when a loved one dies. You only have one mom. Shame on that cop for not having some sympathy. He wasn't a criminal. He could have run his DL and when they saw he wasn't a wanted man, let them go inside.

That said, the woman shouldn't have been rude to the officer. I don't think it made things better.

2egbhgx.jpg Eleanor Roosevelt image by whatadollx3

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have. -Barry Goldwater

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)