Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Vasectomies and Abortions on the Rise Due to Recession

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2009 at 12:28 PM
  • 2 Replies

Vasectomies on the Rise Due to Recession

Thursday, March 26, 2009

CBC: Doctors in the U.S. are reporting an increased demand for abortions or vasectomies during the recession.

Doctor

A pregnant woman in Oakland, Calif., told her doctor she walked to the medical center in flip-flops and tears to save bus fare after her boyfriend lost his job. She was seeking an abortion to prevent what would have been her fourth child.

"This was a desired pregnancy -- she'd been getting prenatal care -- but they re-evaluated expenses and decided not to continue," Dr. Pratima Gupta told the Associated Press.

"When I was doing the options counselling, she interrupted me halfway through, crying, and said, 'Dr. Gupta, I just walked here for an hour. I'm sure of my decision.'"

In Illinois, Planned Parenthood said it performed a record number of abortions in January, many of them motivated by economic worries, said CEO Steve Trombley, who declined to give exact numbers.

Planned Parenthood said it has no up-to-date national abortion figures, nor do other private or government agencies .

The Network of Abortion Funds, which helps women in need pay for abortions, said calls to the network's national helpline have nearly quadrupled from a year ago.

"A lot of women who never thought they'd need help are turning to us," said Stephanie Poggi. "They're telling us, 'I've already put off paying my rent, my electric bill. I'm cutting back on my food.' They've run through all the options."
'Babies are expensive'

Others, like Brooke Holycross, 25, of Port Orange, Fla., have changed their mind after they were offered financial assistance for an abortion.

After seeing an ultrasound of her 15-week-old fetus, Holycross decided to keep the fourth child.

"We're in a spot where we're scared," said Holycross, whose common-law husband was laid off. "Babies are expensive.... I'm just praying to God I did the right thing."

Urologists are also seeing more men seeking vasectomies.

Dr. J. Stephen Jones, a urologist at the Cleveland Clinic, said his monthly caseload rose from about 45 to more than 70 since November 2008.

"Several articulated very forcefully that the economy was the motive," Jones told AP. "I have a long discussion with them and ask if there's any chance they still might want kids. They say they know it's time."

In an interview with HealthDay News, Jones said some patients were concerned about losing their health insurance, but the motivation mainly seemed to be a reluctance to commit to raising another child in uncertain economic times.

Concerns over the recession could also affect the overall U.S. birth rate, experts said.

Last week, a government report showed a record number of babies were born in the U.S. in 2007.

Feel free to join us on these CafeMom Groups:

The CafeMom  Newcomers ClubThe CafeMom Newcomers Club     Current Events & Hot TopicsCurrent Events & Hot Topics  
Advice for MomsAdvice for Moms 
  Kids, Fun & Photos!Kids, Fun & Photos!   The Cafe @ CafeMomThe Cafe @ CafeMom

by on Mar. 27, 2009 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
forsythia_18
by on Mar. 27, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Yeah, my husband's getting a vasectomy.  We just don't think it would be financially responsible to bring another child into the world.  We're happy with what we have now.  I would never get an abortion however.  Even if the vasectomy failed, I would carry the baby to full term and love them just as much. 

Ohliveeeah
by Member on Mar. 28, 2009 at 3:28 PM

I agree.  I would never kill my kid just because I have made bad financial decisions.  I think that the majority of people, not EVERYONE, might not be in such a pickle if they had made better finacial decisions.  And as for the people that made ALL the right decisions and still are in a jam and can't afford another child, CLOSE YOUR LEGS!!!!!  No one forces you to have sex and if you do, have sex, there are ALOT of helpful ways to prevent pregnancy.  Come on, ultimately, if you get pregnant, it is most likely becuase you were being irresponslble.  GROW UP AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS, DON'T TAKE THE "EASY" WAY OUT AND KILL YOU KID!!!!!!! Sorry, I am just little bit passionate about this topic! LOL!

Quoting forsythia_18:

Yeah, my husband's getting a vasectomy.  We just don't think it would be financially responsible to bring another child into the world.  We're happy with what we have now.  I would never get an abortion however.  Even if the vasectomy failed, I would carry the baby to full term and love them just as much. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)