Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hot Topic (3/28): Medicating children to keep them quiet

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2009 at 1:33 AM
  • 85 Replies

This was reported last December by msnbc.msn.com:

"Some children showing up in emergency rooms with overdoses of cough or cold syrup may have been intentionally medicated to keep them quiet, doctors cautioned on Thursday." 

From time to time, you hear about parents administering Benadryl or something similar to keep a child drowsy during an airline flight.  A few years ago, a daycare provider in Montana was convicted in the death of a baby after she medicated him (and others in her care) with an antihistamine. 

Would you ever use medication to keep your child calm and/or quiet? 

What do you think about parents who choose to do so? 

How is this different from using medication to control ADHD or similar disorders? 

Feel free to join us on these CafeMom Groups:

The CafeMom  Newcomers ClubThe CafeMom Newcomers Club     Current Events & Hot TopicsCurrent Events & Hot Topics  
Advice for MomsAdvice for Moms 
  Kids, Fun & Photos!Kids, Fun & Photos!   The Cafe @ CafeMomThe Cafe @ CafeMom

by on Mar. 28, 2009 at 1:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Mar. 28, 2009 at 1:42 AM

When my son was a baby I always fed him a bottle, gave him some tylenol, and then the binkie right before we got on a plane.  I don't think I'm a bad mom for doing so because it was for his benefit not just mine.  I've done it 3 times... on 3 flights... and it was never a full dose for his age, just enough to help him with the take off and make sure his ears were going to pop for sure. 

*My pediatrician said that if the child is sleeping then their ears will naturally pop*

Wife of a Marine - Mommy to a Little Prince

& Expecting a Princess in May!                

Kittismama
by Member on Mar. 28, 2009 at 2:07 AM

I think it depends on the exact situation honestly, if it is being done for no reason other then the parents comfort and to make mommy's life easier I think it's wrong.  I think certain medications are just always wrong, like benadryl.  Frankly most medications aren't considered safe for children anymore.  My daughter has had Tylenol and Motrin, and that's it.  That's all she is likely to have till she is 4 or 6, and I personally wouldn't give her those for anything other then pain or fever, but I don't see them as being overly harmful occasionally (excessive periods of use of either has shown to have problems even within recommended doses). 

The difference between medicating a child like this and medicating them for ADHD or some other disorder is simple, and double.  One is done with a doctor's approval and direction the other isn't.  Secondly one is taking something that isn't behaviour within normal range and making it within norms, the other is taking normal behaviour and trying to force a change. 

(and I probably shouldn't be answering this, I may or may not make it back this weekend to see if anyone had questions or comments about my post)

I must take issue with the term 'a mere child,' for it has been my invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely preferable to that of a mere adult. -  Fran Lebowitz                                                            

hsteele
by on Mar. 28, 2009 at 3:57 AM

I guess I'm just one of those bad moms. I did give my toddler benedryl in a dose adequate for her weight when we went on planes. I think my toddler would rather be asleep than sitting bored on the plane or getting in trouble for acting up.

Heather

Proud Pagan Mama

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin~

cm08
by on Mar. 28, 2009 at 7:48 AM

Sad5 news stories are sad

Personally I never used those cough medicine on myself because they never worked on me so why use them on my children.

momaof8
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2009 at 7:49 AM

I agree with you medicine is meant to be used to heal your child not drug them, so yes you are in the bad mom category on this topic.

Quoting hsteele:

I guess I'm just one of those bad moms. I did give my toddler benedryl in a dose adequate for her weight when we went on planes. I think my toddler would rather be asleep than sitting bored on the plane or getting in trouble for acting up.

momaof8
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2009 at 7:52 AM

I do not agree with ADHD meds. There are other ways to educate your child without giving them drugs that turn them into drones and damage their organs and minds over time. We have had several hyper ADHD kids of our own. So we homeschooled used several breaks to keep the stress down. Moved where we did class so the location was fresh, schooled on the trampoline so they could burn energy and learn. They grew up college bound honor students without a drugged body.

hsteele
by on Mar. 28, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Quoting momaof8:

I agree with you medicine is meant to be used to heal your child not drug them, so yes you are in the bad mom category on this topic.

Quoting hsteele:

Well, I guess that I will just be a bad mom in this category cause my kid was happier on that flight than all the other screaming ones since she slept the entire time.

Heather

Proud Pagan Mama

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin~

momaof8
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2009 at 8:52 AM

You mean you were happier. Isn't that the point?

Quoting hsteele:

Quoting momaof8:

Quoting hsteele:

Well, I guess that I will just be a bad mom in this category cause my kid was happier on that flight than all the other screaming ones since she slept the entire time.

forsythia_18
by on Mar. 28, 2009 at 9:11 AM

I'll give my son medicine when he's SICK.

anziomom
by Member on Mar. 28, 2009 at 10:16 AM

I feel OTC's are overused in many ways. My children are nine and four. They have had Tylenol less times than I can count on one hand. I would never drug them to keep them calm without medical necessity. I would never drug them to keep them quiet.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN