Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hot Topic (3/28): Medicating children to keep them quiet

This was reported last December by msnbc.msn.com:

"Some children showing up in emergency rooms with overdoses of cough or cold syrup may have been intentionally medicated to keep them quiet, doctors cautioned on Thursday." 

From time to time, you hear about parents administering Benadryl or something similar to keep a child drowsy during an airline flight.  A few years ago, a daycare provider in Montana was convicted in the death of a baby after she medicated him (and others in her care) with an antihistamine. 

Would you ever use medication to keep your child calm and/or quiet? 

What do you think about parents who choose to do so? 

How is this different from using medication to control ADHD or similar disorders? 

Feel free to join us on these CafeMom Groups:

The CafeMom  Newcomers ClubThe CafeMom Newcomers Club     Current Events & Hot TopicsCurrent Events & Hot Topics  
Advice for MomsAdvice for Moms 
  Kids, Fun & Photos!Kids, Fun & Photos!   The Cafe @ CafeMomThe Cafe @ CafeMom

by on Mar. 28, 2009 at 1:33 AM
Replies (81-85):
JESUSCARES4YOU2
by on Mar. 30, 2009 at 8:39 AM

Quoting momaof8:

I have my facts straight. I was posting my opinion, what we have done, and how it turned out. Many of these medications leave the child drone like, that is the purpose. Also many drugs can damage the organs hence the blood tests to check. I was correct I just have a different opinion.

Iam sorry for your sons side effects from the vaccinations.

Quoting JESUSCARES4YOU2:

Quoting momaof8:

I do not agree with ADHD meds. There are other ways to educate your child without giving them drugs that turn them into drones and damage their organs and minds over time. We have had several hyper ADHD kids of our own. So we homeschooled used several breaks to keep the stress down. Moved where we did class so the location was fresh, schooled on the trampoline so they could burn energy and learn. They grew up college bound honor students without a drugged body.

MY SON HAS ADHD.. OR BETTER KNOWN AS MERCURY POISONING. BUT WE WILL NOT DIGRESS INTO THAT AREA. HE HAS BEEN GIVEN ADDERALL. AND HE IS NOT  A MINDLESS DRONE. HIS ORGANS ARE FINE.. AS WE ACTUALLY DO THE BLOOD TESTS TO MAKE SURE. AND ALL HIS CURRENT VACCINATIONS ARE ONLY DONE BY A DOCTOR WHO DOES NOT USE THE MERCURY RIDDEN VACCINES.

SO I SUGGEST YOU GET YOUR FACTS STRAIT.

thank you for your heart felt feelings about how your sorry about what vaccinations did..

but i  do have one other thing to say..

IF A CHILD WAS LEFT  "DRONELIKE" then the medicine or the dosage was wrong for that child.

momaof8
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Then every ADHD kid I ever had in the tudor program for the last few years was on the wrong meds. If it works for your kid and is DR monitored great. My problem is with using drugs as a babysitter many times without a DR's knowledge. Kids are dieing from this on a regular basis.

Quoting JESUSCARES4YOU2:

Quoting momaof8:

I have my facts straight. I was posting my opinion, what we have done, and how it turned out. Many of these medications leave the child drone like, that is the purpose. Also many drugs can damage the organs hence the blood tests to check. I was correct I just have a different opinion.

Iam sorry for your sons side effects from the vaccinations.

Quoting JESUSCARES4YOU2:

Quoting momaof8:

I do not agree with ADHD meds. There are other ways to educate your child without giving them drugs that turn them into drones and damage their organs and minds over time. We have had several hyper ADHD kids of our own. So we homeschooled used several breaks to keep the stress down. Moved where we did class so the location was fresh, schooled on the trampoline so they could burn energy and learn. They grew up college bound honor students without a drugged body.

MY SON HAS ADHD.. OR BETTER KNOWN AS MERCURY POISONING. BUT WE WILL NOT DIGRESS INTO THAT AREA. HE HAS BEEN GIVEN ADDERALL. AND HE IS NOT  A MINDLESS DRONE. HIS ORGANS ARE FINE.. AS WE ACTUALLY DO THE BLOOD TESTS TO MAKE SURE. AND ALL HIS CURRENT VACCINATIONS ARE ONLY DONE BY A DOCTOR WHO DOES NOT USE THE MERCURY RIDDEN VACCINES.

SO I SUGGEST YOU GET YOUR FACTS STRAIT.

thank you for your heart felt feelings about how your sorry about what vaccinations did..

but i  do have one other thing to say..

IF A CHILD WAS LEFT  "DRONELIKE" then the medicine or the dosage was wrong for that child.

sweetpal
by New Member on Mar. 30, 2009 at 12:27 PM

dear moms....

childr r part off our life...  we r there to get them in this world.. child  cannt be siolent and if they r nt around us will nt like it at all so i advice not to givr medecine unneccessary ... it may cause some other prob... so be dear and loving as every parents   do...... i lov my child as they r........r....baby dust

ellyc19111
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Quoting sweetpal:

dear moms....

childr r part off our life...  we r there to get them in this world.. child  cannt be siolent and if they r nt around us will nt like it at all so i advice not to givr medecine unneccessary ... it may cause some other prob... so be dear and loving as every parents   do...... i lov my child as they r........r....baby dust

Did you just take a course in speedwriting or did you go to the Rachel Ray school of abbreviations?  It took me twice as long to actually read what you wrote and try to understand it than it would have had you written it out. What? They got no abbreviation for the word '  unnecessary'? How about 'un-no-no'? Rhymes with EVOO.

starandseen
by Member on Mar. 30, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Would you ever use medication to keep your child calm and/or quiet? 

No.  I get nervous about medicines because they have so much potential to be harmful.  I barely take medicines myself, only when I can't bear the symptoms anymore, let alone giving it to my children.

What do you think about parents who choose to do so? 

I wish they wouldn't do this.  It's almost like stuffing a sock into the child's mouth to stop them from crying.  It's cruel.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)