Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Kansas Governor Signs Abortion Rights Bill

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2009 at 10:05 PM
  • 6 Replies

Kansas Governor Signs Abortion Rights Bill

Saturday, March 28, 2009

kansas_goveror_270.jpg

Getty Images

Fox News: Gov. Kathleen Sebelius signs a bill ensuring that women and girls seeking abortions can see ultrasound images before the procedure.

The legislation, signed Friday and taking effect July 1, also ensures that abortion patients can listen to the fetal heartbeat.

Sebelius signed the measure as she awaits U.S. Senate confirmation as federal Health and Human Services secretary. Anti-abortion groups in Washington have criticized her nomination because of her abortion rights stance.

The Kansas governor offered no explanation of why she signed the bill, though she's never targeted such provisions when she's vetoed past abortion measures.

The bill amends a state law requiring doctors to obtain a patient's informed consent before performing an abortion.

Feel free to join us on these CafeMom Groups:

The CafeMom  Newcomers ClubThe CafeMom Newcomers Club     Current Events & Hot TopicsCurrent Events & Hot Topics  
Advice for MomsAdvice for Moms 
  Kids, Fun & Photos!Kids, Fun & Photos!   The Cafe @ CafeMomThe Cafe @ CafeMom

by on Mar. 28, 2009 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
hsteele
by on Mar. 29, 2009 at 12:17 AM

This is interesting. I hope this is optional. Not something that is going to be forced on those seeking abortions. Whats really nice is seeing a woman making these decisions that affect women's health.

Heather

Proud Pagan Mama

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin~

luckcharm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2009 at 12:47 AM

Is this to be done on request only?  They aren't making this mandatory are they?

hsteele
by on Mar. 29, 2009 at 1:01 AM

Quoting luckcharm:

Is this to be done on request only?  They aren't making this mandatory are they?

The article says "can" not "must" so I am hoping its not mandatory. There may be people who for some reason have to get an abortion and doing this will make them feel even worse.

Heather

Proud Pagan Mama

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin~

fullofhope325
by on Mar. 29, 2009 at 2:35 AM

I hope that it would be the persons choice to see & listen.

moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2009 at 9:11 AM

I think this is FANASTIC and should be in place in every state.  I don't believe a woman can have true informed consent if she doesn't know WHAT she's aborting.  The only way to TRULY know WHAT is in your belly is to SEE what is in your belly via ultrasound.

If they have seen what is in their belly via ultrasound and have been given all of the information regarding the risks of not only pregnancy but the abortion as well (higher rates of miscarriage, higher likelihood of future infertility issues, bleeding out causing death, etc) and STILL make the choice to abort then and ONLY then have they made TRUE informed consent.

Amy

vlester
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2009 at 3:24 AM

Quoting fullofhope325:

I hope that it would be the persons choice to see & listen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN