Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

'Torture' Could Haunt Bush Officials

'Torture' Could Haunt Bush Officials

Spanish Judge Who Went After Pinochet Considers Charges for Gonzales, Others

In what may turn out to be a landmark case, a Spanish court has started a criminal investigation into allegations that six former officials in the Bush administration violated international law by creating the legal justification for torture in Guantanamo Bay.

PHOTO Spanish prosecutors may decide this week whether to press ahead with a probe into six former Bush administration officials, including  ex-U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales
Spanish prosecutors may decide this week whether to press ahead with a probe into six former Bush... Expand
Spanish prosecutors may decide this week whether to press ahead with a probe into six former Bush administration officials, including ex-U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, shown in this file photo (inset), in connection with the torture of detainees at the U.S. military's Guantanamo Bay prison, court sources said. Collapse
(Reuters/Getty Images)

The officials named in the 98-page complaint include former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, who once famously described the Geneva Conventions as "quaint" and "obsolete."

Others include John Yoo, a former Justice Department lawyer who wrote the so-called "torture memo" that justified waterboarding and other extreme interrogation methods for terror suspects.

Also named are: former Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Douglas Feith; former General Counsel for the Department of Defense William Haynes II; Jay S. Bybee, formerly of the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel; and David S. Addington, former chief of staff and legal advisor to former Vice President Dick Cheney.

Feel free to join us on these CafeMom Groups:

The CafeMom  Newcomers ClubThe CafeMom Newcomers Club     Current Events & Hot TopicsCurrent Events & Hot Topics  
Advice for MomsAdvice for Moms 
  Kids, Fun & Photos!Kids, Fun & Photos!   The Cafe @ CafeMomThe Cafe @ CafeMom

by on Mar. 29, 2009 at 8:46 PM
Replies (11-11):
blondekosmic15
by on Mar. 30, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting hsteele:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I'm one of those that doesn't have an issue with what went on in Gitmo...   so...

Some take exception to acting like those we condemn as being evil, in addition to the fact that the prisoners in Gitmo had no trials and were therefore never found guilty of any crime that would warrent torture (not that I believe there is ever a justification for torture).

That is the only thing I think should be changed.  They should be tried quicker and punished. 

I agree w/ this......too many times the delays allow the guilty to escape justice or a diminshed form of justice~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)