Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

'World's cheapest car' to be launched in July

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2009 at 8:59 AM
  • 32 Replies

This is amazing, would you buy this car ?

'World's cheapest car' to be launched in July

• Story Highlights
  • Tata Motors to begin delivery of the Nano in July
  • Tata aims to make 350,000 Nanos a year from 2010
  • Car is billed as the world's cheapest, costing $2,000
  •  

NEW DELHI (CNN) -- India's Tata Motors Monday announced it would begin delivery of the Nano, billed as the world's "cheapest car", in July.

Tata Motors expects to begin delivery of the Nano, billed as the world's cheapest car, in July.

Tata Motors expects to begin delivery of the Nano, billed as the world's cheapest car, in July.

The four-door Nano is currently being built in "limited numbers" at a company plant in the north Indian hill state of Uttrakhand.

Tata Motors, however, aims to make 350,000 Nanos a year from 2010 at another unit elsewhere in the country, a company statement said.

"It is to the credit of the team at Tata Motors that a car once thought impossible by the world is now a reality. I hope it will provide safe, affordable, four-wheel transportation to families who till now have not been able to own a car. We are delighted in presenting the Tata Nano to India and the world," company chief Ratan Tata told a news conference in Mumbai to announce the "commercial launch" of the $2,000 car.

Tata Motors said the Nano would initially be available through bookings or reservations filed on a request form priced around $6, or Rs 300. Tata will accept the bookings from April 9 to April 25.

by on Mar. 30, 2009 at 8:59 AM
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Replies (1-10):
    Madge1428
    by Member on Mar. 30, 2009 at 9:12 AM

It's not the most attractive car but if the mileage is right and it's really only $2,000, I bet it will boom. GM and Chrysler should watch and learn.

sunglasses miniMadge

christina0607
    by on Mar. 30, 2009 at 9:15 AM

In reality does anyone actually think this will be sold in the US for $2,000?

If it was, yes I would buy one.

tgiamt
    by Member on Mar. 30, 2009 at 9:20 AM
    Hell NO. How the hell would you even put a carseat in that!?

We need a practical, safe, good MPG, thats inexpensive. That is not the size of a Big Rig tire! Oh and can I say, an AMERICAN car company. Oh wait they're not going to be around much longer because people would rather buy foreign POS's.

T.G.I.A.M.T.. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr
    christina0607
    by on Mar. 30, 2009 at 9:28 AM

I just looked it up, there are no plans of selling this in the US.

dr_m
    by on Mar. 30, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Quoting christina0607:

where ?   anyway..  $2,000 ??  i'd totally rather buy American.. but..  2 k  ???  wow...  Probably if it actually works, someone will import it..  and yeah it will prob be more exp, 3  or 4 K  still unbelievable...

christina0607
    by on Mar. 30, 2009 at 9:46 AM

What I read said it is being launched in India in July, Europe in 2011 and there are no plans for the US.

I doubt anyone would import it. It would cost so much to import it that it would no longer cost $2k(the article also says the $2k is base without taxes or any extras like AC). Not to mention I am sure this car wouldn't pass some US regulations.

But if for some reason it did end up here for under $10k, yeahI would buy it. I have no problem not buying american made, especially when it comes to cars.

Quoting dr_m:

Quoting christina0607:

where ?   anyway..  $2,000 ??  i'd totally rather buy American.. but..  2 k  ???  wow...  Probably if it actually works, someone will import it..  and yeah it will prob be more exp, 3  or 4 K  still unbelievable...

JanMarie225
    by on Mar. 30, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Looks like a coffin on wheels!

tgiamt
    by Member on Mar. 30, 2009 at 10:05 AM
    in the US thats exactly what it would be.

Quoting JanMarie225:

Looks like a coffin on wheels!

T.G.I.A.M.T.. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr
    JanMarie225
    by on Mar. 30, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Anyone remember the GEO? It was put out by GM/Chevy and it didn't stick around long even tho it was super cheap (and super ugly).

dr_m
    by on Mar. 30, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Quoting JanMarie225:

Anyone remember the GEO? It was put out by GM/Chevy and it didn't stick around long even tho it was super cheap (and super ugly).

yes .. i remember the GEO !  a friend had one.. 

I'd kind of like to just use a golf cart for very local driving !  lol

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
    other members!
    Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN