Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

'Dr. Zhivago' composer Maurice Jarre dies at 84

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2009 at 9:20 AM
  • 7 Replies

Poll

Question: have you seen Dr. Zhivago ?

Options:

yes !

no !

am definitely going to now !

who cares ?

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 3

View Results

I have not seen this movie in so long, it was one of my mom's favorites ...

'Dr. Zhivago' composer Maurice Jarre dies at 84

PARIS – A French musicians guild says Oscar-winning film composer Maurice Jarre has died at the age of 84.

Jarre is best known for writing the haunting song "Lara's Theme" from the film "Doctor Zhivago."

SACEM head Bernard Miyet cites Jarre's family Monday as saying the composer died in his California villa.

Jarre penned dozens of scores for some of Hollywood's most prominent directors.

He won Oscars for his music for "Doctor Zhivago," "Lawrence of Arabia," and "Passage to India," and was nominated for an additional six Academy Awards.

Jarre was born in 1924 in Lyon, France, and studied music at the Conservatoire de Paris before starting his career composing scores for theatrical productions. He has lived in the U.S. for decades.

by on Mar. 30, 2009 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
dr_m
by on Mar. 30, 2009 at 10:00 AM

dr_m
by on Mar. 30, 2009 at 10:44 AM

I really like "Lara's song"  (or theme fr the movie)   it's so sad....

WildKat
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2009 at 12:30 PM

I love this song...   My dad used to play it all the time when I was a kid, and I have his old sheet music, and play it myself often.   It has a lilting quality to the rhythm and the intro especially has beautifully haunting harmonies...

This movie has been on my list for awhile now, as I've never seen it.  Now I'm DEFINITELY going to have to.  Maurice Jarre's immense songwriting talent will be missed. 

My piano...

Peace,

Kat

dr_m
by on Mar. 30, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Quoting WildKat:

I love this song...   My dad used to play it all the time when I was a kid, and I have his old sheet music, and play it myself often.   It has a lilting quality to the rhythm and the intro especially has beautifully haunting harmonies...

This movie has been on my list for awhile now, as I've never seen it.  Now I'm DEFINITELY going to have to.  Maurice Jarre's immense songwriting talent will be missed. 

My piano...

Peace,

Kat

thanks for the nice pic !

WildKat
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2009 at 12:38 PM

I just watched the first video you posted - the montage one with the song...  How many times was this movie made?  Was it a novel first?

Peace,

Kat

WildKat
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2009 at 12:41 PM

you're quite welcome - thanks for the post!  Didn' t know anyone else on here knew him... 

Just for the record - that is NOT Maurice Jarre on the sheet music - it's Ray Conniff - I guess he's the guy who sang the pop version back in the day.  I think I've heard this exactly ONCE on the radio 10 years ago or so.  (On an oldies channel)  Honestly, the verson of the song that sounds most "normal" to me is my Dad playing it on piano...  I wish he would play again.  My folks got rid of their own piano and he's too embarrassed to play mine in front of DH.  Which is too bad, because he's quite good.  Oh well...

Peace,

Kat

Quoting dr_m:

Quoting WildKat:

My piano...

Peace,

Kat

thanks for the nice pic !

dr_m
by on Mar. 30, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Quoting WildKat:

you're quite welcome - thanks for the post!  Didn' t know anyone else on here knew him... 

Just for the record - that is NOT Maurice Jarre on the sheet music - it's Ray Conniff - I guess he's the guy who sang the pop version back in the day.  I think I've heard this exactly ONCE on the radio 10 years ago or so.  (On an oldies channel)  Honestly, the verson of the song that sounds most "normal" to me is my Dad playing it on piano...  I wish he would play again.  My folks got rid of their own piano and he's too embarrassed to play mine in front of DH.  Which is too bad, because he's quite good.  Oh well...

Peace,

Kat

I don't recall the lyrics totally, but   "  Somewhere my love, there will be songs to sing,  ..   ...  you'll come to me, out of the long ago..  "    Definitely romantic..

It's funny, cause when I saw the news, he reminded me of my mother, who was the pianist in our family  and..  although I lost her in 2002 (she was 85 )  I HAD actually recorded her playing the piano..  mostly classical !   She really didnt mind that i was recording it.. and made jokes into the camera  lol...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)