Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you think the Confederate flag is racist ?

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2009 at 11:12 AM
  • 21 Replies

Poll

Question: Is the Confederate flag is racist ?

Options:

yes

no

don't know

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 35

View Results

this question was debated is several other posts here

by on Mar. 30, 2009 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Da1nOnlyDestiny
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2009 at 11:16 AM

no, no it's not.

Eilish
by on Mar. 30, 2009 at 11:18 AM

No. If this is the flag of racism

Then this is the flag of terrorism

You can't just stick a stigma to something like this because you don't like what it stands for. Ridiculous!

Origins

The banner which we now recognize as the Confederate flag was conceived as a battle flag after the first battle at Mannassas. The original flag, the stars and bars, proved to be too similar to the Union flag for soldiers to recognize in the haze of battle.

The Stars and Bars

The new, easily distinguishable battle flag consisted of a square blue St. Andrew's cross, on a red background. The cross contained 13 stars, one for each of the 11 states that seceded plus one for both Kentucky and Missouri.

The battle flag

The rectangular shaped flag that is most common today is called the Navy Jack flag (pictured on Introduction page). For a more detailed history of the succesion of flags of the Confederacy, see Battle Flags of the Confederacy, another U.Va. American Studies project.

Now that we have established the technical origins of the flag, the task is to trace how it has arrived at the status it holds today. The flag was a symbol of the Confederate States of America, the losing party in the Civil War. Volumes upon volumes have been written about the causes of the Civil War, but most historians agree slavery was the one single issue without which the war could have been avoided. The war was not fought over slavery in the South, but slavery in the territories, especially those acquired from Mexicoin 1848. Southerner's feared any kind of government regulation of their "peculiar institution," and saw the outlawing of slavery in the territories as a sure sign that slavery in the South would soon end as well. Southerners became strong advocates of state's rights and sympathized with all those who were persecuted for being different, like the Mormons. Most historians will also agree that the war was not fought over concerns about racial inequality. Abolition was never a widely popular movement, even in the North, in the years leading up to the Civil War. The primary source of anti-slavery sentiment in the North grew from the fact that slavery was incompatible with free labor. If slavery was allowed to exist in the territories, working class white citizens would simply not be able to compete. What wage worker could compete with a slave? Northerners generally wanted the territories to be a place where white people could go to earn an honest living, without the menacing negroes. The South, on the other hand, looked at the "wage slavery" in the North as worse than slavery in the South. Southerner's thought that at least they took care of their slaves even in old age or when they were not able to work. So, at the time of the Civil War, the North and South were generally in agreement on white supremacy.

• Help keep an eye on what Congress is doing. Stay informed and spread
    the message by posting Bills that need the People's attention - either
    positive or negative. This forum is open to ALL Cafemom Members.
metalcowgirl34
by on Mar. 30, 2009 at 11:18 AM

It wasn't originally.....but people use it that way.  People have done this to all kinds of symbols...like the swastika, for example, was originally used as a symbol of peace and good luck!

gogetem
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2009 at 11:21 AM

nope

(interesting poll  =)

It's okay.   

My rats think you're gross, too.

<:3  )~~          ~~~(,,,,*>

dr_m
by on Mar. 30, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Quoting gogetem:

nope

(interesting poll  =)

justgrape723
by Member on Mar. 30, 2009 at 11:35 AM

I think for some it is....

For my former SIL ...it wasn't she displayed her flag cause she is a proud red neck country girl from the south

so I think it depends on the person

Da1nOnlyDestiny
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2009 at 11:48 AM

it always depends on the person.

Quoting justgrape723:

I think for some it is....

For my former SIL ...it wasn't she displayed her flag cause she is a proud red neck country girl from the south

so I think it depends on the person

sassyandy124
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2009 at 11:52 AM

*SIGH* NO NO NO NO If the battle flag is 'racist' simply because some groups/people use it than the Christian cross is ALSO racist because that is used as well. Along with red suspenders, Doc Marten boots, and buzz type hair cuts. Oh and mustaches ( Hitler), white sheets, (including any and all 'ghost' costumes) the iron cross, and many many more.

Those who can't get behind our troops should feel free to stand in front of them!!!!!

tgiamt
by Member on Mar. 30, 2009 at 11:55 AM
I must say I love this reply!

Quoting sassyandy124:

*SIGH* NO NO NO NO If the battle flag is 'racist' simply because some groups/people use it than the Christian cross is ALSO racist because that is used as well. Along with red suspenders, Doc Marten boots, and buzz type hair cuts. Oh and mustaches ( Hitler), white sheets, (including any and all 'ghost' costumes) the iron cross, and many many more.

T.G.I.A.M.T.. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr
Scorpio359
by on Mar. 30, 2009 at 12:05 PM

No!   We cannot just start taking down certain items that a few oppose. Why was it not considered racist before? Things are getting out of control.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN