Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spanking Illegal? Another Country Considers a Ban

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2009 at 10:01 PM
  • 15 Replies

This was posted in CafeMom's Daily Buzz:

Spanking Illegal? Another Country Considers a Ban

Phillipines considers spanking banThe Phillipines is inching closer to a ban on all forms of corporeal punishment against kids -- including spanking, according to a recent article on Babble.

Supporters of the bill cite evidence that spanking or other forms of corporeal punishment do not improve a child's behavior over time, and in fact increases his chances of distrusting authority and acting out. In the US, it's legal to spank, paddle and whip children in all 50 states.

This is a controversial subject. Many CafeMoms are vehemently opposed to spanking, while a lot of others support it as a valid and effective form of discipline.

Because such a law, if it ever came to the US, might directly affect CafeMoms like those in the Moms who spank group, I asked group owner SalemWitchChild to weigh in with her opinion.

She feels it's wrong for the Philippines to lump spanking and child abuse together. Spanking moms absolutely do not condone things like whipping or burning. Her group defines spanking as:

• Light spankings on the bum only.
  • No more swats than the child is old.
  • Only as a last resort -- never as the sole form or first line of punishment.
  • It should be done with love (never anger) but with firm authority.
  • Before the spanking, the parent should always explain what the child has done wrong, what should have been done or not done, and why they must have a spanking.

"Real children are not like those on a TV show, where Dad comes in at night and talks to their child, and then the child miraculously sees why their actions are wrong and they will never do it again," SalemWitchChild says. "Spanking mothers realize that without obedience, a child will run wild. Spankings are just one way to demand that obedience. We have all tried time-outs, taking away privileges, etc. To some children, these things quickly make no difference."

A blogger on Babble, Hannah Tennant-Moore, who is obviously opposed to spanking, said it's no wonder that many teens believe it was right for Chris Brown to express anger at Rihanna by beating her up.

SalemWitchChild disagrees there is any connection between spanking and the making of criminals or women who stay with abusive husbands. She's unaware of any study to prove it, and if there is, she doubts that it differentiates between abuse and responsible parental spanking.

Do you think there's a connection?

Feel free to join us on these CafeMom Groups:

The CafeMom  Newcomers ClubThe CafeMom Newcomers Club     Current Events & Hot TopicsCurrent Events & Hot Topics  
Advice for MomsAdvice for Moms 
  Kids, Fun & Photos!Kids, Fun & Photos!   The Cafe @ CafeMomThe Cafe @ CafeMom

by on Mar. 30, 2009 at 10:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Da1nOnlyDestiny
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2009 at 10:11 PM

eye rolling

gogetem
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2009 at 10:25 PM

same here.  lol

Quoting Da1nOnlyDestiny:

eye rolling

luckcharm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2009 at 10:28 PM

No,  I don't think spanking your children is going to cause them to become criminals or beat on their girlfriends. 

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Mar. 31, 2009 at 2:28 AM

Ditto

Quoting gogetem:

same here.  lol

Quoting Da1nOnlyDestiny:

eye rolling

Wife of a Marine - Mommy to a Little Prince

& Expecting a Princess in May!                

texanmommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2009 at 2:48 AM

What she said...my oldest is 23, married, & if a wife ever deserved a swift kick it is her...he has never & will never lay a hand on her. He was spanked several times in his young life, and he is not a criminal, or abusive. His spankings were for discipline, not abuse. Never in anger did I spank him, and I always talked to him about why! He was taught to respect other people, kept him out of trouble.

Quoting luckcharm:

No,  I don't think spanking your children is going to cause them to become criminals or beat on their girlfriends. 

sassyandy124
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2009 at 9:25 AM

No there is no connection between someone being  spanked and then becoming an abuser. Seriously that's just ridiculous. I am not surprise though. There was a study that also came out that said time outs were now bad as well. So I guess kids should just be able to do what they want with no consequencesat all. Then people wonder why kids today have such entitlement problems, respect issues, and are so selfish. I do have to add that since the Philippines has a HUGE problem with child prostitutes and corruption in their gov't and police, you would think spanking would be one of their least concerns.

Those who can't get behind our troops should feel free to stand in front of them!!!!!

Penny136
by Member on Mar. 31, 2009 at 9:50 AM

frustratedEveryone was spanked....back in the day. {including me] It's just BS that they will just ACT OUT or it won't do any good. HA! That's WHY most kids are soooo bad today....not enough SPANKING !! There is a big difference between spanking and abusing. I spanked my children , when they were bad. One is a nurse and the other a happy mother of two...stay-at-home , great daughter !! Let's get REAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

vlester
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Quoting Da1nOnlyDestiny:

eye rolling

JanMarie225
by on Mar. 31, 2009 at 10:28 AM

I do have to add that since the Philippines has a HUGE problem with child prostitutes and corruption in their gov't and police, you would think spanking would be one of their least concerns.

My thoughts exactly. I lived there for 3 loooong years in the early 90's.

Wyldbutterfly
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2009 at 11:37 AM

I personally feel that had more children been spanked in their lifetime that there would not be so many spoiled p pots who do not know how to respect anyone or anything!

Let the bashing begin!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured