Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hot Topic (3/31): Tipping: How much is too much?

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2009 at 2:11 AM
  • 31 Replies

Most of us would agree that tipping 15-20% to your server in a restaurant is to be expected.

But who else do we tip?

The barista at the espresso shop?  Your hair stylist?  A taxi driver?  The teenagers at Cold Stone Creamery?  Your babysitter?  The worker at the drive-thru fast-food window?  (There is a tip jar at the local taco place here.)  The newspaper delivery person?

Where does it end?  Who gets a tip?  How much?  Why? 

Or don't you tip at all? 

Feel free to join us on these CafeMom Groups:

The CafeMom  Newcomers ClubThe CafeMom Newcomers Club     Current Events & Hot TopicsCurrent Events & Hot Topics  
Advice for MomsAdvice for Moms 
  Kids, Fun & Photos!Kids, Fun & Photos!   The Cafe @ CafeMomThe Cafe @ CafeMom

by on Mar. 31, 2009 at 2:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lexy2518
by Member on Mar. 31, 2009 at 9:49 AM

I tip my waitresses all the time because I have friends who waitress and I know for a fact they make a whopping 3 dollars an hour so they def. depend on tips! I am a hairstylist and although we make more than 3 dollars an hour we depend on tips as well. Unless you go to a salon where their prices are outrageous and they work off of commision then I tip everytime. If I make a big order at my local coffee place I leave 1 or 2 dollars in their tip jar. That's as far as it goes for me though. I don't have all this money to be throwing around!

JanMarie225
by on Mar. 31, 2009 at 10:16 AM

I tip pizza delivery $3-$4 cuz I used to deliver back in the day and I will tip waitress/waiter who takes my order, brings my food and drink $5-$10 depending on where we eat. I won't tip someone who works at a place where I have to get everything myself like a buffet.

tgiamt
by Member on Mar. 31, 2009 at 1:46 PM
I always tip servers. Even if the suck. I know how hard it is to be a server. I tip hair/nail, because I have friends that work in that industry. I tip pizza only if they deliver. And if I have cash I'll throw a dollar in the tip jar at a coffee shop. Because I worked at one and I know how nice it is to have that extra cash. but I think fast food is excessive. and a baby sitter you are paying anyway, maybe if they go above and beyond I could see it.
T.G.I.A.M.T.. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr
.Tiggeroo87.
by on Mar. 31, 2009 at 1:52 PM

I tip only when I get extremely good service, which is quite rare.

Other than that, I do not tip because I am low income, and that change can go to diapers, food, or gas. 

I'm a pro-choicepro-optionsSingleStay at homeWelfare bummin'unemployedPart-time schoolin' Universitydisposable diapering 'cause it's easier than cleaning shit off clothSelective vaccinating 'cause I said soex-formula feeding 'cause I was just too damn lazy to breastfeedNon-circumsizing but don't give a shit if you cut your son's pludegive my kiddo pop once in a pink moonCIO since my kid was old enough to roll overCANADIANABORIGINALMAMA

acrogodess
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2009 at 3:41 PM

I tip my waitresses 15% usually. If the service is super great then I'll tip 20%. I don't have money to throw around, but I know they depend on tips and so we don't go to a restaurant UNLESS I can afford to tip.

I don't go to the salon so I don't tip the hair stylist, but my aunt is a beautician so IF I DID go then I'd tip $3 for either JUST a cut or blow dry, $5 for a cut AND blow, and $10 for cut, color and blow. I'd tip the shampoo person $2 if they just shampooed me for a cut or blow, and $5 if they shampooed me after color. I was the shampoo girl at my aunt's salon for awhile. Lol. I only made $50 for an 8-10 hour day so I depended on those tips.

The pizza delivery guy gets a $2 tip. No more than that because here Domino's charges a $1.75 for delivery. They make minimum wage by the hour.

My taxi driver gets a $1-2 dollar tip. Now if I have to tell the driver how to get me home and they try and overcharge me, they don't get a tip.

.Tiggeroo87.
by on Mar. 31, 2009 at 4:25 PM

I tipped a taxi cab driver $15 once because he wasn't arrogant, drove calmly and didn't piss off other drivers. Oh, and he was really funny! He was telling me and my mom jokes, lol!

Usually the cab drivers I get in with are fucking assholes. I am on edge all the time because some of them are crazy, and will cut other vehicles off. One time I said "Holy shit man, slow down" and he started talking in some foreign language, probably cursing me out. I gave him exact change, and didn't tip.

I'm a pro-choicepro-optionsSingleStay at homeWelfare bummin'unemployedPart-time schoolin' Universitydisposable diapering 'cause it's easier than cleaning shit off clothSelective vaccinating 'cause I said soex-formula feeding 'cause I was just too damn lazy to breastfeedNon-circumsizing but don't give a shit if you cut your son's pludegive my kiddo pop once in a pink moonCIO since my kid was old enough to roll overCANADIANABORIGINALMAMA

christina0607
by on Mar. 31, 2009 at 8:49 PM

For me

Wiatresses always get at least 20%. If they are good they get 30%...if they knock my socks off I have been known to tip the entire amount of the bill.

Pizza delivery gets a 5, everytime. No matter what I buy.

Hair salon gets 30%

I don't take taxis or get the newspaper.

Tip jars...i'm random. 50% of the time I won't put anything in it, 50% of the time they might get my loose change.

I always tip the kid that spraysthe car before going in the car wash, he gets $2.

I can't think of any others.

Mommy_Jenn
by on Mar. 31, 2009 at 9:00 PM

*  15%-20% at food joints that serve us

*  3-5$ for the hair cut...

*  1-2$ for pizza delivery

*  Only time I've ever ridden a taxi was in Vegas, we tipped him 20$,  Not only did we have no change but we had shoved me, my husband, my 1 YO son, my father and mother into a cab.  He drove safe [since there was no car seat], and pointed out some really cool night time sight seeing stuff on the strip and told us some good places to eat off the strip that would cost less. 

sooga_booga
by on Mar. 31, 2009 at 9:05 PM

I tip for everything.

Bad service.. low end tip of 10-15%

Fabulous service.. I have tipped up to 50% before **but that was a huge dinner and the bill alone was triple digits**...........

Personally for me it boils down to this.

If  I'm having someone do something for me whether it be: cook my meal, deliver my meal, do my nails, do my dry cleaning.. whatever....... They are doing something for me that I either: Don't want to do (which is usually the case)........ Don't know how to do.........or........ Can't do..... Therefore.. I tip.. and I tip very generously.

khandalogo.gif SIKH....... image by 00-H-B-K-RULZ-00

luckcharm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2009 at 11:13 PM

I tip at restaurants if I get decent or good service... if the service is below decent then no I don't tip... it doesn't take much to give decent service so if they can't bother in the least bit then I don't tip.  I know they depend on tips, I've done the job and I didn't expect tips if my service was bad,  if they depend on the tips then they should make an effort to earn them. If the service is good or excellent then they get more.

I don't tip at fast food restaurants,  I do tip my hairstylist or if I get my nails done or go to a spa then I tip there.

I don't tip my babysitter,   the trash man, or the newspaper delivery man.  But I have given them something at the end of the year for Christmas or a bonus type thing in the past.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured