Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

African American Disney Princess Controversy

I saw this in CafeMom's Daily Buzz:

African American Disney Princess Controversy

April 1, 2009 at 12:42 PM

black princess

photo by Disney

The Princess and The Frog set for release late this year will be Disney's first animation starring an African American princess. I want to jump up and down on my bed for all the little girls who look as I did as a child, but unlike the girl me, will have a chance to actually see themselves reflected in a fairy tale. Yay for Princess Tiana! Go on, girl!

There is a controversy surrounding this movie however.

Prince Naveen, the dashing guy who eventually scoops the beautiful princess off of her feet, is apparently white. In response to this, some people are charging Disney with being uncomfortable with idea of a black prince, and by extension, "black love" to represent a fairy tale.

Could that be possible?

What do you think about Disney's decision not to have a black prince?

Issue or non-issue?

Feel free to join us on these CafeMom Groups:

The CafeMom  Newcomers ClubThe CafeMom Newcomers Club     Current Events & Hot TopicsCurrent Events & Hot Topics  
Advice for MomsAdvice for Moms 
  Kids, Fun & Photos!Kids, Fun & Photos!   The Cafe @ CafeMomThe Cafe @ CafeMom

by on Apr. 1, 2009 at 2:39 PM
Replies (41-50):
sweetie00
by on Apr. 2, 2009 at 5:39 PM

it's the hair. Black guys don't have "prince" hair. Dumb, right? If wer'e really gonna get P. c. , let's make her single...or gay.

teenmomofagirl
by New Member on Apr. 2, 2009 at 5:52 PM

why does it even matter there shouldn't be any type of controversy just because they're different races first of all he doesnt even look completly white and i think it's kind of good that they're different races kids can see that you can fall in love with anyone no matter what even if their skin color is different than their own

ellyc19111
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Quoting BooBooCat:

He looks either hispanic or biracial to me.  Definitely not white

BooBooCat 

Know what's funny? You all make it look like just because the guy may be Hispanic  that it's ok for him to go with a black girl. Maybe people of the Hispanic race don't like the idea of their boy seeing a black girl either. Why does it just have to be whites with that bias?

Biancas_mommy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Oh yeah and repunzel is going to be the summer of 2010 disney movie!!

athenax3
by on Apr. 2, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Being white, my view may not be as fine tuned as some others, but I'm happy about the black princess, I think it's wonderful and sorry it took so darn long- who knows why they made the prince that wierd not quite anything color? I don't, and frankly won't be putting much thought into it and niether will the children the cartoon is geered toward- but it's a step in the right direction if you ask me.

MissMarce
by on Apr. 2, 2009 at 10:46 PM

I am so sick of the race issue. Our world will never be right, because people always see color. Why can't we just all get along?

Da1nOnlyDestiny
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2009 at 8:37 AM

This is a list of the film's major characters. All of them are now revealed on the official website.

Name Description Voice Actor/Actress
Princess Tiana1 The 19-year-old heroine of the movie. Anika Noni Rose
Elizabeth Dampier (Young Tiana]
Charlotte La Bouff An 18-year-old spoiled, southern debutante, diva and Tiana's main rival. Jennifer Cody
Breanna Brooks (Young Charlotte)
Dr. Facilier2 A palm reader and A Voodoo practitioner. He is the villain of the movie and serves as its witch character. Keith David
Mama Odie A 200-year-old Voodoo priestess who serves as the film's fairy Godmother. Jenifer Lewis
Ray A lovesick Cajun firefly. Jim Cummings
Louis Jazz singing alligator who's comical, manic, high-strung and plays the trumpet.

Michael-Leon Wooley

JuJu Mama Odie's pet snake.
Prince Naveen3 An early twenty something gregarious, fun-loving Prince who comes to the French Quarter for the Jazz scene and who Tiana and Charlotte had fallen in love with. Bruno Campos
Lawrence Prince Naveen's pompous valet. Peter Bartlett
Eli "Big Daddy" La Bouff Wealthy, Southern Sugar Mill owner and father of Charlotte La Bouff. John Goodman
James Tiana's father. Terrence Howard
Eudora Tiana's mother who's in her fifties. Oprah Winfrey[3]
  1. Originally named "Maddy" on the casting call sheet and listed as a chambermaid. Both details have been confirmed as having changed in development.
  2. The villain's name was originally "Dr. Duvalier" and was going to be a black Voodoo magician/fortune teller. In a recently updated script, he is both a palm reader and a Voodoo practitioner.
  3. The prince's original name "Harry" has been replaced by "Naveen" in a revised script.

Dayija
by on Apr. 3, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Quoting Da1nOnlyDestiny:

This is a list of the film's major characters. All of them are now revealed on the official website.

Name Description Voice Actor/Actress
Princess Tiana1 The 19-year-old heroine of the movie. Anika Noni Rose
Elizabeth Dampier(Young Tiana]
Charlotte La Bouff An 18-year-old spoiled, southern debutante, diva and Tiana's main rival. Jennifer Cody
Breanna Brooks (Young Charlotte)
Dr. Facilier2 A palm reader and A Voodoo practitioner. He is the villain of the movie and serves as its witch character. Keith David
Mama Odie A 200-year-old Voodoo priestess who serves as the film's fairy Godmother. Jenifer Lewis
Ray A lovesick Cajun firefly. Jim Cummings
Louis Jazz singing alligator who's comical, manic, high-strung and plays the trumpet.

Michael-Leon Wooley

JuJu Mama Odie's pet snake.
Prince Naveen3 An early twenty something gregarious, fun-loving Prince who comes to the French Quarter for the Jazz scene and who Tiana and Charlotte had fallen in love with. Bruno Campos
Lawrence Prince Naveen's pompous valet. Peter Bartlett
Eli "Big Daddy" La Bouff Wealthy, Southern Sugar Mill owner and father of Charlotte La Bouff. John Goodman
James Tiana's father. Terrence Howard
Eudora Tiana's mother who's in her fifties. Oprah Winfrey[3]
  1. Originally named "Maddy" on the casting call sheet and listed as a chambermaid. Both details have been confirmed as having changed in development.
  2. The villain's name was originally "Dr. Duvalier" and was going to be a black Voodoo magician/fortune teller. In a recently updated script, he is both a palm reader and a Voodoo practitioner.
  3. The prince's original name "Harry" has been replaced by "Naveen" in a revised script.

Looks as though the actor who plays the prince is from Brazil...How cool!!!

I'm excited that it's biracial. It's more common now-a-days. I think it's time to start looking past color. Black w/ black or white w/ white...it's too cliche. Let's shake it up! 

Glitter Text
Make your own Glitter Graphics

vlester
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2009 at 2:25 PM

yes he does

I do wonder what so hard of having a black Prince

Quoting Melissa0741:

He looks biracial to me...

ashleehoward
by Member on Apr. 3, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Is he white with just a nice tan? Did he go on a Vacation somewhere where the sun is always shining and there is a beach? lol I think they should make the prince black since there hasnt been one either. I don't really care,it's just a cartoon. Kids will enjoy it and not even think other wise unless their parents point out things like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)