Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Boy Dies after Mom Denied Cancer Meds - Should the mom be chanrged?

Boy Dies after Mom Denied Cancer Meds

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Boston Herald: A 9-year-old boy whose mother is accused of withholding his cancer medication has died, and prosecutors say they have not ruled out bringing new charges against her.

canmeds270.jpg

AP

Jeremy Fraser, who had autism and who was diagnosed with leukemia in 2006, died in hospice care Monday.

Prosecutors in July said his mother, Kristen Anne LaBrie, canceled at least a dozen appointments for chemotherapy treatment and did not fill at least half the prescriptions her son had been given. She has pleaded not guilty to reckless child endangerment.

"We are saddened by Jeremy's death," said Steve O'Connell, a spokesman for Essex District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett. "As for enhanced charges, we will reserve any judgment regarding that until we have complete information."

LaBrie did not appear at a previously scheduled pretrial hearing in the endangerment case today. Her attorney, Kevin James, did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

James said previously that LaBrie had taken her son more than 100 times to Massachusetts General Hospital and had been "extensively involved in this child's care."

Eric Fraser, who is the boy's father and who is estranged from LaBrie, told reporters Tuesday after the hearing in Salem District Court that he was relieved his son's suffering was over, but he said he wants justice.

"He doesn't deserve any of this. None of it. He is an innocent boy that relies on his mother and that just didn't happen," he said.

The boy's cancer was in remission last fall, but returned within months.

LaBrie is due back in court on April 16, when a trial date will be set.

Feel free to join us on these CafeMom Groups:

The CafeMom  Newcomers ClubThe CafeMom Newcomers Club     Current Events & Hot TopicsCurrent Events & Hot Topics  
Advice for MomsAdvice for Moms 
  Kids, Fun & Photos!Kids, Fun & Photos!   The Cafe @ CafeMomThe Cafe @ CafeMom

by on Apr. 1, 2009 at 9:54 PM
Replies (11-16):
Raintree
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2009 at 8:27 AM

Chemotherapy is poison. Sometimes it works- sometimes IT kills the patient. I don't think there is enough information here to make a 'judgement' call. And we might never know anyway.

Stand up, this is comedy. The DNA lotto may have left you smart, but can you stand up to beauty- dictator of the heart. I can stand up for hope, faith, love but while I'm getting over certainty. Stop walking God across the road like a little old lady. - Bono

ShadowRaven
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2009 at 8:50 AM

I agree with BooBooCat that there is not enough info. WHY did she withhold the medication and refuse the chemo? 

I knew a little girl who had leukemia a few years back. She suffered so much more because of the treatments and medications her parents made her go through. I actually overheard her tell her older brother one day that if she had been given a choice, she would have wanted to stop all treatments and live the rest of her short life as comfortably as possible than having to go through all of that and prolong her suffering.

Quoting BooBooCat:

There is just not enough info to decide.  It could be that she did not want him to go through chemo again.  Maybe it was really hard on him.  I can only imagine.  Chemotherapy is very hard.  If she was told that he was terminal even with chemo, then why put him through that?  

BooBooCat   

Come join my group, The Speakeasy!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/TheSpeakeasy

ellyc19111
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2009 at 1:17 PM

If he was under hospice care, aren't there attendants who keep watch on him? They must've given him something to ease his pain. I'm not sticking up for her by NO means, but maybe it got to her and she snapped and couldn't take any more. I'm surprised nobody questioned her actions prior to his death. She couldn't have been stable.

sweetie00
by on Apr. 2, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Quoting cdgoldilocks:

I don't have enough information to really make a judgment call on this one.  He was in hospice care, that means he is terminal. I just think a lot of details have been left out. As for the bio dad, if he felt he kid didn't get the care he needed, he should have taken her to court.

aqsgwama
by Member on Apr. 2, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Quoting mommy2isabella:

Quoting cdgoldilocks:

I don't have enough information to really make a judgment call on this one.  He was in hospice care, that means he is terminal. I just think a lot of details have been left out. As for the bio dad, if he felt he kid didn't get the care he needed, he should have taken her to court.

I agree as well

grandma

Gwama to Ama, Quanah, Savannah and ??? (Logan or Paige)

photofamilyof7
by on Apr. 2, 2009 at 2:33 PM

If she gave him his meds at her conveince then yes it is neglect. If he was terminal and she refused all medical treatment that is her right in this screwed up country we call America that says parents can choose or refuse medical treatment including anything from vaccines to chemotherapy-imo it is all the same. If a parent doen't get their child vaccinated from a disease that they could have prevented and dies from it are the convicted of murder? Not in America, its called a RIGHT.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured