Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

No rights for pregnant women!!

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2009 at 10:18 AM
  • 11 Replies

Jennifer, Crunchy Student Midwife, Wife and mother to Hannah 12, Abby 8 and  BABY BOY  In June. Ask me about freebirthing?

by on Apr. 2, 2009 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Da1nOnlyDestiny
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2009 at 10:18 AM

boo i cant see the video.... transcript maybe?

curlykit
by on Apr. 2, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Wow, that is insane. I believe you should be able to make your own decisions. I believe that a fetus is a person, it is not going to turn into a cow or a horse, but I don't believe any legal system has the right to tell anybody how to deliver their baby or when. Before you know it, they'll be telling us when and how to conceive the children!

The difficulty comes in when you try to place value over a life. Whose is more important? Aren't we all created equal? The bond a mother and child forms is one of the most important bonds and to force situations onto people in which the mother's life is endangered for the well being of the child seems irresponsible. Every situation is going to be different and I believe it should be up to the doctor to inform the family of the best possible situation for everyone involved. CHOICES.

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Apr. 2, 2009 at 10:35 AM

I'm very concerned about the women in the States passing these laws giving fetus' personhood with all the rights attached.

Here is a link http://www.thenation.com/doc/20040426/pollitt that further explains the case of Melissa Rowland, the woman charged with murder for the stillbirth of one of her twins.  The stillborn tested positive for cocaine.  The murder charges were dropped, but she plead guilty to 2 charges of child endangerment.  Her history is sad and tragic. 

It doesn't matter if you are pro-life or pro-choice, these laws will take away your rights to control what happens to your body while pregnant.  It also angers me that these laws are being written and voted on by men.  Grrrrrr....

Sherri
JanMarie225
by on Apr. 2, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Well if you're in favor of UHC, this will become the norm.

cm08
by on Apr. 2, 2009 at 10:41 AM

You can also see the video here.

National Advocates for Pregnant Women

curlykit
by on Apr. 2, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Wow, the video "mysteriously" forgot to add that!

Quoting PurdueMom:

I'm very concerned about the women in the States passing these laws giving fetus' personhood with all the rights attached.

Here is a link http://www.thenation.com/doc/20040426/pollitt that further explains the case of Melissa Rowland, the woman charged with murder for the stillbirth of one of her twins.  The stillborn tested positive for cocaine.  The murder charges were dropped, but she plead guilty to 2 charges of child endangerment.  Her history is sad and tragic. 

It doesn't matter if you are pro-life or pro-choice, these laws will take away your rights to control what happens to your body while pregnant.  It also angers me that these laws are being written and voted on by men.  Grrrrrr....

forsythia_18
by on Apr. 2, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Why does everything have to be made so complicated?!  I think if people who are pro-choice were forced to witness an abortion and look at an aborted fetus, they'd see how atrocious it is.  But giving a fetus personhood on paper could potentially turn cases of honest miscarriage into a possible murder charge for the mother.  I believe life/personhood occurs at conception but if it's all written down into specific laws it could potentially become a huge problem.  If you get pregnant, give the baby a chance at living their well-deserved life.  These laws could just put innocent women behind bars.

MyLittleMan6405
by Member on Apr. 2, 2009 at 12:12 PM

I personally don't think a fetus is a person until it has a heartbeat. Until then, in my opinion, it is just a rapidly growing lump of cells. But to make a fetus a person from moment of conception is just ridiculous. It will open too many doors that are dangerous. We risk losing our rights as soon as we get pregnant because if those laws passed, in their eyes you are just a human incubator and the baby has more rights than you do. It's bullshit and it is foolish. I don't think men should be allowed to vote on this issue, either. They are our bodies - we ought to be the ones to make the decisions about them. Men have no place trying to dictate what we women can and can't do with our bodies. What is this? The 1950's? It is a slippery slope, my friends, and one that you can't climb back up once it's done. Plus in the case of rape, you would be forced to carry that child or else face murder charges. That opens the door for your rapist to come back and file for partial custody and be in your life forever. It has actually happened before and the courts ruled in favor of the rapist. Don't think for a minute that things like that couldn't happen to you. The lawmakers are taking away more and more of our rights every day. Where will it end?

sweetie00
by on Apr. 2, 2009 at 12:17 PM

This is so messed up. I can't believe this is America. I can't stand religious conservatives. I can't stand them.

PamR
by Pam on Apr. 2, 2009 at 12:42 PM
The Georgia legislature was attempting to pass a bill giving embryos personhood. It passed the state Senate, but was left in the house at the end of the session. This is another back door attempt at making abortion illegal.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN