Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Kills Son, Self at Gun Range

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:39 AM
  • 14 Replies

Mom Kills Son, Self at Gun Range

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

CFNews13: Brand new video has been released in the gun range shooting case in Seminole County.

gunshootson270.jpg

News 13

News 13 has obtained the surveillance pictures of the woman and her son just moments before they were shot.

Investigators said Marie Moore, 44, and her son, Mitchell, were taking target practice at the Shoot Straight Gun Range and Store on U.S. 17-92 Sunday afternoon.

That's when Marie came up from behind and shot Mitchell in the back of the head before taking her own life.

Investigators also said she never should have been there in the first place.

A police report released Monday said Marie was suicidal since a mental breakdown seven years ago, and at one point was banned from the gun range.

A motive for the killing remains a mystery, but friends of Marie told News 13 they believe she may have shot her son in some kind of effort to "protect him from the world."

Family members didn't want to talk.
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yiayiaann
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:58 AM

THIS IS SO SAD. MY FAMILY WILL GO THE GUN RANGE SHORTLY TO PRACTICE..I GUESS THE GUN CONTROL PEOPLE WILL BE ALL OVER THIS ONE TOO..I WILL USE GUNS TO PROTECT.

Katie911
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:01 AM

I was pretty sure some with severe mental problems could not handle a gun.  Anyway that is very sad.

dr_m
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:04 AM

this is so sad..  i wonder what her son was like, if he was either helping his mom (??)  or was he unstable too?   anyway, it's really a shame.. 

admckenzie
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:38 AM

there have been many stories over the years where a suicidal parent feared for their children if they left them behind so they took them "with them". Sad but true. 

mamawmom
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:26 PM

WITH THE NEW GUN LAWS IM AFRAID WE WILL BE SEEING A LOT OF THIS.YOU CAN TAKE A GUN INTO A BAR NOW.ALCOHOL AND GUNS DONT MIX IN GENERAL AND NEITHER DOES MENTAL PROBLEMS AND GUNS .SO SORRY FOR THE FAMILY. 

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Quoting mamawmom:

WITH THE NEW GUN LAWS IM AFRAID WE WILL BE SEEING A LOT OF THIS.YOU CAN TAKE A GUN INTO A BAR NOW.ALCOHOL AND GUNS DONT MIX IN GENERAL AND NEITHER DOES MENTAL PROBLEMS AND GUNS .SO SORRY FOR THE FAMILY. 

Actually you can not carry a gun in a bar.  Well at least not in Washngton State.  Myhusband conceals and carries and we can not eat at the bar in any restraunt unless he disarms....and he won't so we don't.

ellyc19111
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 11:42 PM

Had there been no guns or gun range, I wonder what she'd have used?

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 11:51 PM

Quoting ellyc19111:

I can guarantee you that on that day no matter what she and her son would have died.  She had it in her mind to do it, so she would have.  Guns or not.

ellyc19111
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Quoting ellyc19111:

I can guarantee you that on that day no matter what she and her son would have died.  She had it in her mind to do it, so she would have.  Guns or not.

That's what I was saying.

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Quoting ellyc19111:

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Quoting ellyc19111:

That's what I was saying.

It breaks my heart to read about situations like this.  I can not even begin to understand the train of thought this mother had.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)