• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Texas Judge allows collection of.....sperm

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:21 PM
  • 7 Replies

As the mother of a 24 year old son who is an only child..  I'm extremely understanding in regards to this mother's grief over losing her child. But.........  I just could not imagine doing this.....

How about you moms.............

Texas judge allows collection of dead son's sperm

AP 

Wed Apr 8, 5:55 am ET

AUSTIN, Texas - A judge has granted a mother's request to have someone harvest sperm from her dead son's body, so she can have the option of carrying out his wish to have children.

Nikolas Colton Evans, 21, died Sunday at a Brackenridge hospital after being punched and falling outside an Austin bar March 27.

His mother, Marissa Evans, told the Austin American-Statesman newspaper that he wanted to have three sons someday and had even picked out their names: Hunter, Tod and Van.

"I want him to live on. I want to keep a piece of him," she told the newspaper.

Travis County Probate Judge Guy Herman ruled Monday in an emergency hearing requested by the mother, because of the urgency of collecting the sperm intact.

Court documents said the sperm had to be collected within 24 hours of Nikolas Evans being removed from life support unless the body was cooled to no more than 39.2 degrees.

Herman ordered the county medical examiner's office to continue storing the body at the proper temperature until the sperm could be collected.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090408/ap_on_re_us/dead_son_sperm

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
imasurvivor
by Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:17 PM

surprisedGood Lord!

I'm actually speachless...but on second thought, I guess this sheds a whole new light & meaning on the old saying... "Life Goes On" & perhaps even, "Only In America"...don't you think?!!

Mergath
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:39 PM

The actual collection of the sperm doesn't creep me out too much.  I can't help wondering what she'll do with it, though...  If she's planning on trying to impregnate herself with it, on the other hand, that would be highly creepy.  Ew.  Hopefully she'll just find a surrogate or something.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

gilbertgrl627
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:46 PM

I agree with a PP: I don't see anything wrong with the act itself. But if she's going to have them implanted in herself, that's just creepy. I honestly don't think I'd have the presence of mind to think about collecting the sperm.

imasurvivor
by Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:49 PM

I wasn't even thinking about THAT!!! '

That would be creepy & just plain wrong!

I just figured it would go into a sperm bank somewhere! 

spoiled_wife
by Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:53 PM

My understanding from the article, is that that she plans on finding a surrogate sometime in the future.

Even that seems odd to me.. 

"Can I pay you to carry my dead son's child?" or "would you be willing to be a surrogate for my dead son's child".........

But it's better than picturing her carry the child herself....... That thought just gives me the heebies........

imasurvivor
by Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Does that mean she plans to raise the babies herself?

PS...heebie-jeebies indeed! (lol) 

spoiled_wife
by Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Quoting imasurvivor:

Does that mean she plans to raise the babies herself?

PS...heebie-jeebies indeed! (lol) 

I'm assuming so...  There was not any mention in the article in regards to the son having a wife or even a  girlfriend..  So, I'm not real sure if the young man an SO or not..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)