Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think this is racist?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:02 PM
  • 27 Replies

Hairy uproar over drugstore Obama

Banished from two cities, Chia Obamas are headed here.

New Yorkers may soon get a chance to say hail to the Ch-Ch-Chia Obama at local drugstores.

The grassy-headed figurine of President Obama was pulled from Walgreens shelves in Chicago and Tampa after some people called it racist and company brass decided the new collectible was wrong for their image.

But Chia Obama's maker says he won't cut and run, and he is in negotiations with drugstore chains in the New York market to bring Chia Obama here in the coming weeks.

"As quickly as they can take them, we will send them," said Joseph Pedott, 76, founder of the as-seen-on-TV Chia Pets empire.

In the meantime, Pedott added, Chia Obama is for sale online - in "Happy" or "Determined" poses - for the amazingly low price of just $19.99 (three seed packs included!).

It's already a top seller and "could be the biggest I have ever had," Pedott said.

Pedott said he was stung by suggestions that there was something racist about Chia Obama, which, if left untrimmed, appears to give the 44th President a healthy, if very green, Afro.

"Since when is an Afro racist?" asked Pedott, a Republican who voted for Obama. Owners can trim Chia Obama's "hair" to any length they want, he added.

The presidential bust is also emblazoned "Yes We Can," Obama's campaign slogan, as well as with the words "liberty," "opportunity," "prosperity" and "hope."

"We all need hope," said Pedott.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joys.world
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:05 PM

No.  Obama is a big market right now, and everyone is trying to cash in.

Dayija
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:07 PM

I'm gonna have to also say no...I'm starting to think it's getting a little out of hand now with calling the racist card. Good Grief. 

mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:11 PM

Quoting Dayija:

I'm gonna have to also say no...I'm starting to think it's getting a little out of hand now with calling the racist card. Good Grief. 

Stephanie a non vaxxing/cloth diapering/full term breastfeeding sahm who is wanting another but waiting/WoW addicted momma to a 2yr old princess
Momof3cuties
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:11 PM

No....I don't!  There is Obama everything out there right now! 

gilbertgrl627
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:12 PM

I agree.

Quoting Dayija:

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:31 PM

Why would this be racist?  Because is can grow an afro?   Is that somehow implying in anyway that Obama is of an inferior race just because he can grow an afro, too?  How silly.

Chia pets make great Christmas gifts.  I plan on having one of these under my tree for my conservative, Republican, McCain-votin' brother.   ; )  

Sherri
Eilish
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:47 PM

Haven't they made a Chia pet for Bush and Clinton .... if this is racist can we call the ones of Bush and Clinton reverse racism?

• Help keep an eye on what Congress is doing. Stay informed and spread

the message by posting Bills that need the People's attention - either

positive or negative. This forum is open to ALL Cafemom Members.
mrs.c123
by New Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:30 AM

i dont think its racist, i see obama merchandise everywhere...today i was at the movie store and even saw an obama movie, i thought to myself   "really already a movie??" lol i think its just another way for a company to make money, hell id love to have a chia of myself...lol how cool would that be!! lol

** Lindsey**

ashleehoward
by Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:47 AM

lmao,I think it looks freakin hilarious and stupid!! like all chia pets!!

kim121672
by New Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:53 AM

Omg, this is not racist at all.  I think it is cute in a way.  This is something my mom would buy, lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)