Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do Not Say That You Were Not Warned! Expansion on the GIVE Act coming.

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:45 PM
  • 25 Replies

Here it is, as promised. HR 1444, if passed, will a create a committee that will attempt to make "volunteerism" involuntary ... this is the link to the bill:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-1444

Here are the segments that you should be concerned about:

Quote: Sec 4 (b) (6)

(6) Whether a workable, fair, and reasonable mandatory service requirement for all able young people could be developed, and how such a requirement could be implemented in a manner that would strengthen the social fabric of the Nation and overcome civic challenges by bringing together people from diverse economic, ethnic, and educational backgrounds.

Note this says "able" NOT "willing."

Quote: Sec 4 (b) (8)

(8) The means to develop awareness of national service and volunteer opportunities at a young age by creating, expanding, and promoting service options for primary and secondary school students and by raising awareness of existing incentives.

This means they are looking to make service mandatory for "young people" as young as elementary school.

This is illegal under the US Constitution! The Congress NEVER has the right to even "explore" the idea of making service mandatory.

Write, call, email, and/or fax your Congressman and tell them "no," that you do no give them the authority to pass this bill.

And please .... for the love of all things Holy, go read the bill for yourself.

• Help keep an eye on what Congress is doing. Stay informed and spread

the message by posting Bills that need the People's attention - either

positive or negative. This forum is open to ALL Cafemom Members.
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NattysMommy
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:47 PM

So what would happen if you refused to "volunteer"?

Eilish
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:00 AM

Quoting NattysMommy:

If it becomes law, and you disobey the law, you will likely be arrested.

silver1diamond
by New Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:01 AM

I don't understand what this bill is about.I tried to read it,and couldn't make heads or tails of it.It is all in legal mumbo jumbo.Could someone explain the reason for this Bill?In simple words please.And be nice.

Eilish
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Quoting silver1diamond:

I don't understand what this bill is about.I tried to read it,and couldn't make heads or tails of it.It is all in legal mumbo jumbo.Could someone explain the reason for this Bill?In simple words please.And be nice.

This is an extension of the GIVE Act which basically sets up a national service program for Americans varying in age from middle school to age 64. What this does particular bill does is creates a committee to explore the idea of making this mandatory and possible extending it to all Americans (the underlined was spelled out in the GIVE Act, HR 1388). Mandatory service qualifies as involuntary servitude which is prohibited by the 13th Amendment. 

The other thing the GIVE Act does, is prohibits those participating (which if they make it mandatory will included all Americans) from protesting the program, and even specifically prohibits the free practice of religion.

Does that makes sense? Please feel free to ask more questions.

NattysMommy
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:16 AM

That is BS!! OMG I just read your simple explanation and I am PISSED!!! Some people have enough to do already. Me, myself, has appointment upon appointment for my daughter and myself I would get NO time to do ANYTHING else!! God forbid I ever had to get a job. Then I'd have to involuntarily volunteer, take care of mine and my DD's appointments and work. Why in the world are they trying to do this???

Quoting Eilish:

Quoting NattysMommy:

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:17 AM

Quoting Eilish:

Quoting NattysMommy:

Because it says that where...... ?   

Sherri
Eilish
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:19 AM

Quoting NattysMommy:

That is BS!!

Quoting Eilish:

Quoting NattysMommy:

Call your Congressman and tell them to vote no. You can click the link in my signature to find out who your congressman is, and how to write a letter to him. Also, there were Congressman who voted against the GIVE Act, I have set up a website with a letter that will be sent to Sen DeMint of South Carolina who gave an inspriational speech against it on the Senate Floor. The letter will be sent to Sen. Demint, all of Congress, the President as well as each of the Supreme Court Justices. You can find that letter here: http://lettertocongress.homestead.com/index.html

Mysty_1961
by Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:24 AM

Have you ever heard of Hitler Youth.  Better check it out we are heading right down the same path Hitler used to get control of Germany.

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:42 AM

Quoting Eilish:

Quoting silver1diamond:

This is an extension of the GIVE Act which basically sets up a national service program for Americans varying in age from middle school to age 64. What this does particular bill does is creates a committee to explore the idea of making this mandatory and possible extending it to all Americans (the underlined was spelled out in the GIVE Act, HR 1388). Mandatory service qualifies as involuntary servitude which is prohibited by the 13th Amendment. 

The other thing the GIVE Act does, is prohibits those participating (which if they make it mandatory will included all Americans) from protesting the program, and even specifically prohibits the free practice of religion.

Does that makes sense? Please feel free to ask more questions.

The above is Eilish's version of the bill.

The Serve America Act (formerly The GIVE Act) basically expands upon already existing national service programs (i.e. Americorps, Peace Corps, etc.) and reappropriates funding.

The Serve America Act does NOT prohibit participants from protesting nor from practicing their religion.  Nor is it mandatory. 

HR 1444 is a bill that will, if passed, form a committee to see how they can improve and promote volunteerism and national service.  One section states "Whether a workable, fair, and reasonable mandatory service requirement for all able young people could be developed, and how such a requirement could be implemented in a manner that would strengthen the social fabric of the Nation..."  This might include so many hours of community service as a requirement for graduation, for example (which many high schools across the nation already require).  This is a study, not a mandate.

Sherri
gogetem
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 1:07 AM

That's what disobeying a law entails... that or being ticketed. 

Quoting PurdueMom:

Quoting Eilish:

Quoting NattysMommy:

Because it says that where...... ?   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)