Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hot Topic (4/12): Should Doctor Assisted Suicide be Legal?

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2009 at 12:03 AM
  • 28 Replies

What are your thoughts? Should we have the right to decide if a Doctor can end our lives?

Should there be restrictions? Or should we have the total right to decide?

by on Apr. 12, 2009 at 12:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckcharm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2009 at 12:18 AM

I think that it should be legal but it should have some very strigent guidelines to who and how it is done.

I think that people with terminal, painful diseases have the right to choose how they die.  If there is no hope for a cure then all that you are doing by making them live is putting them through unnessissary pain.

You've heard people say after a person died who had certain diseases say how it was a blessing?  This is usually said because the person knew how much pain they were in.  If it can be a blessing because they are finally at peace then why shouldn't they have the right to be at peace on their terms? 

ddbz
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2009 at 12:24 AM

Yes, and there are certain pain management issues that dovetail with assisted suicide as well. Some people who are in terrible pain don't get the meds they need because the dosages become dangerously high, so issues like these might be managed better if the patient was able to choose whether or not to chance the end of his/her life when managing pain. 

hsteele
by on Apr. 12, 2009 at 12:38 AM

Yes. Who are we to tell someone they have to spend they have to waste away until they are dead. If they can pass peacefully by their choice, why should we stop them?

Heather
Proud Pagan Mama

"...now you're in the minority. Its supposed to taste
like a $h&t taco."
~John Stewart~
PurdueMom
by Sherri on Apr. 12, 2009 at 12:52 AM

Doctor assisted?  If by that you mean a physician writes a prescription for a lethal dose of medication and the dying ingest it on their own violition while not under duress nor pressure from another, then yes.  Otherwise, no.

Sherri
.Tiggeroo87.
by on Apr. 12, 2009 at 1:39 AM

Yes. If I want to go NOW, I'm gonna ask to die NOW. My family can kiss my ass goodbye lol. 

I'm a pro-choicepro-optionsSingleStay at homeWelfare bummin'unemployedPart-time schoolin' Universitydisposable diapering 'cause it's easier than cleaning shit off clothSelective vaccinating 'cause I said soex-formula feeding 'cause I was just too damn lazy to breastfeedNon-circumsizing but don't give a shit if you cut your son's pludegive my kiddo pop once in a pink moonCIO since my kid was old enough to roll overCANADIANABORIGINALMAMA

Junebug926
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Yes it should be legal. If someone wants to end their life peacefully then they should be allowed. Why is it the government's job to tell people how they can and can't die? It isn't murder if the person dying is wanting to die. Why should we force those who are suffering to suffer endlessly?

KenzieRoosMom
by on Apr. 12, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Totally agree!

Quoting luckcharm:

I think that it should be legal but it should have some very strigent guidelines to who and how it is done.

I think that people with terminal, painful diseases have the right to choose how they die.  If there is no hope for a cure then all that you are doing by making them live is putting them through unnessissary pain.

You've heard people say after a person died who had certain diseases say how it was a blessing?  This is usually said because the person knew how much pain they were in.  If it can be a blessing because they are finally at peace then why shouldn't they have the right to be at peace on their terms? 

" Your children will become what you are; so be what you want them to be."
David Bly

JJTaylor
by Member on Apr. 12, 2009 at 11:33 AM

This is a difficult subject in itself... so many strong emotions on both sides of the fence for this particular issue.

I do think restrictions should be mandatory, however, I do think this is something we should not be controlling, they are the the ones dying, in horrific pain, loosing everything they hold as normal... I think it's only right to allow each person to die the way they choose to in this kind of circumstance.

Who am I to claim to know what is best for people that are dealing with things I can only imagine being the most difficult and painful time in their lives? 

sweetie00
by on Apr. 12, 2009 at 2:28 PM

yes, definitely.

Mommy_Jenn
by on Apr. 12, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Quoting Cafe GroupAdmin:

What are your thoughts? Should we have the right to decide if a Doctor can end our lives?

Should there be restrictions? Or should we have the total right to decide?

I think it should be somewhat legalized, for very certain diseases and illnesses.  If some guy comes in off the street and says I've had it with life, NO.  If this 60 year old woman has cancer all over and is in too much pain, YES.  I think that you as a doctor are willing to do this, you should have a special certification to do it.  Not every doctor should be allowed.  There should be ethics classes taken, and maybe some acting classes to pick out the fakers.. LOL. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN