Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hot Topic (4/12): Should Doctor Assisted Suicide be Legal?

What are your thoughts? Should we have the right to decide if a Doctor can end our lives?

Should there be restrictions? Or should we have the total right to decide?

by on Apr. 12, 2009 at 12:03 AM
Replies (21-28):
tizzolsen
by Member on Apr. 14, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Quoting PurdueMom:

Quoting Armywife6:

Yes, if doctors are allowed to preform abortions for moms who want them they should be allowed to help end a persons life who is miserable. I for one have told my family if I get something that is not curable, please put me outta my misery early I don't want to suffer.

I'm curious...  why would it be your family's responsibility to put you out of your misery?  Why would you put that burden on your loved ones and not upon yourself to end your life if you were terminal and miserable?

#1- DR. should not be able to end a life. Whether it be through abortion, or through assisted suicide. ~ MY OPPINION~

#2- Thought it may seem like a "burden", We all have different trials we go through. Burden or not, it is a learning experience. I have had to help with deciding to take my grandfather off of life support. I do not believe that that was assisting in suicide, nor do i feel that it was a burden. It was a blessing, a privilege to be involved in my grandfathers life.

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Apr. 14, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Quoting tizzolsen:

Quoting PurdueMom:

Quoting Armywife6:

Yes, if doctors are allowed to preform abortions for moms who want them they should be allowed to help end a persons life who is miserable. I for one have told my family if I get something that is not curable, please put me outta my misery early I don't want to suffer.

I'm curious...  why would it be your family's responsibility to put you out of your misery?  Why would you put that burden on your loved ones and not upon yourself to end your life if you were terminal and miserable?

#1- DR. should not be able to end a life. Whether it be through abortion, or through assisted suicide. ~ MY OPPINION~

#2- Thought it may seem like a "burden", We all have different trials we go through. Burden or not, it is a learning experience. I have had to help with deciding to take my grandfather off of life support. I do not believe that that was assisting in suicide, nor do i feel that it was a burden. It was a blessing, a privilege to be involved in my grandfathers life.

I'm very sorry about your grandfather.

When someone is on life support and no longer able to make decisions, and it has been determined by physicians that to continue life support would be just to put off the inevitable, the most humane decision a family can make is to remove life support.  Once the decision is made, a nurse and/or respiratory therapist discontinues medicinal and/or mechanical life support under the direction and orders of a physician.   The 'burden' to assist with the actual dying process - so to speak - is upon the healthcare professionals, not the family.

My response was to the following:  "I for one have told my family if I get something that is not curable, please put me outta my misery early I don't want to suffer."

I was trying to the make the point that when a patient is diagnosed with a terminal illness, and she wants to avoid possible 'misery', why wouldn't that person just kill herself while capable of still doing it?  Why would the person wait until she is no longer able to do it to herself, and then burden a loved one with the task of doing what the person herself could not do? 

Sherri
ellyc19111
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Quoting tizzolsen:

WOW! i can see that i may be the only one who feels differently than all of you. I would have to say NO! I don't think that a Dr. or anyone for that matter has the right to assist in someones suicide/death. I understand that there are different circumstances and situations, however i still don't think that a DR should be assisting in death. They are there to help us live, not to help us die. I am really suprised that i am the only one so far on this side.

I see what you're saying here. That it would be a violation of the oath he took to become a Doctor. But would it be better to get somebody who isn't really a doctor to carry those wishes out simply because of an oath? Then maybe they should install personell who are trained to assist in ending lives in case somebody wants to and only Doctors are around. They could call them Angels of Death who would then administer the lethal dose or disconnect whatever because they're qualified. This way the family and the Doc are off the hook. 'WHAT oath?? We ain't got no stinkin' oaths'

tizzolsen
by Member on Apr. 14, 2009 at 4:15 PM

I guess my oppinion comes from my personal beliefs. I believe that taking a life is murder. EVEN IF IT IS SUICIDE (in any form). From a young child i have been taught and believe that life is given to you as a gift from God, and that taking it is not my place.  So what i am saying is that it probably depends on your religious beliefs as well. ~ Just a side note, i don't hold it against anyone for practicing their beliefs in what they know to be right and just.

CosmicChaos
by Member on Apr. 14, 2009 at 11:57 PM

I feel it is possibly a less painfull solution opposed to suicide. That maybe a person can die in peace with more dignity if it were planned. I think if someone were terminally ill they might benefit from having that choice. Depends on differen't views but ultimately it is the person that is sufferings wishes  that should be met.

CosmicChaos
momoftwins240
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2009 at 11:36 AM

While this would never be something I would encourage anyone to do, I do believe that the decision should rest completely with the individual.  I also think that there should be restrictions on when this could be a valid choice.  Such as in the case of terminal illness.  Someone should not be allowed to ask a doctor to end their life for any other reason than that. 

Mama with the mostest!

kissing

ellyc19111
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Quoting CosmicChaos:

I feel it is possibly a less painfull solution opposed to suicide. That maybe a person can die in peace with more dignity if it were planned. I think if someone were terminally ill they might benefit from having that choice. Depends on differen't views but ultimately it is the person that is sufferings wishes  that should be met.

You're right. They're suffering, not us. We don't know the extent of their pain and I would guess after a while,it's enough.

vanessa31087
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:26 AM

Yes it should be legal. If there is someone with a terminal illness who is in a lot of pain and is suffering from it then they should have that right to choose to end their own life peacefully. If I'm ever suffering like that and I want to end my life then I'm going to end my life and end it right then. My family can kiss my ass goodbye.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)