Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Story Highlights

• Image taken by NASA's space-based Chandra Observatory telescope
  • Formation is 150 light years across, 1,700 years old
  • Photo shows what appears to be ghostly blue fingers reaching across Galaxy

(CNN) -- New photographs released by NASA have captured images of a vast stellar formation resembling a human hand reaching across space.

NASA's Chandra Observatory captured this hand-shaped image of an X-ray nebula.

NASA's Chandra Observatory captured this hand-shaped image of an X-ray nebula.

The image, taken by NASA's space-based Chandra Observatory telescope, shows an X-ray nebula 150 light years across.

It shows what appear to be ghostly blue fingers -- thumb and pinky clearly discernible from index, ring and middle digits -- reaching into a sparkling cloud of fiery red.

NASA says the display is caused by a young and powerful pulsar, known by the rather prosaic name of PSR B1509-58.

"The pulsar is a rapidly spinning neutron star which is spewing energy out into the space around it to create complex and intriguing structures, including one that resembles a large cosmic hand," NASA says.

The space agency says B1509 -- created by a collapsed star -- is one of the most powerful electromaginetic generators in the Galaxy. The nebula is formed by a torrent of electrons and ions emitted by the 1,700-year-old phenomenon.

The finger-like structures are apparently caused by "energizing knots of material in a neighboring gas cloud," NASA says.

Makes you wonder, huh! What are your thoughts?

by on Apr. 14, 2009 at 1:38 PM
Replies (11-19):
cm08
by on Apr. 14, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Here's for Chandra

ellyc19111
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2009 at 2:16 PM

I've seen other pics of nebulei that take on amazing shapes like that one of the eye. Naturally the devout would assume that they belong to God. And I'm NOT saying they don't or couldn't!

bluewolf
by Member on Apr. 15, 2009 at 2:54 PM

this was on the yahoo new main stories thing a week or so ago but its still neat

ColtsFan1912
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Beautiful. So cool. I think its just matrixing but still beautiful :)

"To sum it up all in one, I can't help but loving you, reminders of finer things so pure you were sure they would crumble & break, but so beautiful you knew they could not..perfect down to the last eyelash" Element 101.

sugarsmom2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2009 at 7:26 PM

once saw a picture that was like a baby in veto. they said it was a very old thing can not remember the age . i wonder what other things are out there ? can it be the rebirth of the gods ? when i was younger i read about gods .

realtorshelly
by on Apr. 15, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Awesome~

athenax3
by on Apr. 15, 2009 at 8:27 PM

That is very cool....

MrsKish
by on Apr. 16, 2009 at 10:02 AM
So cool google photos " NASA's eye of god"!
mccainiac
by on Apr. 16, 2009 at 10:24 AM

I loved this!!!

"The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN