Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hot Topic Poll: Would you vote for her?

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2009 at 9:53 AM
  • 14 Replies

Poll

Question: What do you think about celebrities who run for office? Are they qualified?

Options:

Yes, there are many celebrities who are now in office

Maybe, it would depend on what they are running on

No, what the heck do celebrities know about government?

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 53

View Results

Fran Drescher, known to many as 'The Nanny,' is contemplating a run for office in the next few years.  The actress was asked last year to be considered as a possible replacement for Hillary Clinton's former seat as New York's junior senator.    

At the National Press Club in Washington, Drescher stated, "I feel very privileged to be able to articulate my positions and my opinions on a myriad of subjects, and now I've been encouraged by many people in the general public, as well as Democratic funders and high level elected officials on both sides of the party line to seriously consider running."   

Would you vote for her?  What do you think about celebrities who run for office?  Are they qualified?

Fran Drescher

< The Cafe Group Admin Team

by on Apr. 15, 2009 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ann7227
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2009 at 10:01 AM

No . I would vote for a actor though if it's in my party and qualified. I don't know if she's qualified.

JJTaylor
by Member on Apr. 15, 2009 at 10:27 AM

There are plenty that have done fantastic jobs... I am not sure how many remember that President Regan was probably the epitome of famous and made it all the way to President!!!  He was a pretty famous actor in the "day".  I recall Sonny Bono, The guy that played Gopher on the Love Boat ran or may still be in politics, Jesse Ventura was a governor of Minnesota. Arnold (the Terminator) is governor of California! I am sure there are plenty more I am missing...

I think if they are serious and know what they are getting into, they have just as much right to run as anyone else! 

sassyandy124
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Would you vote for her?  Sure she couldn't be worse than the majority already there. What do you think about celebrities who run for office?  Some are good some are bad. Just like any other "group" of people. Are they qualified? Depends. Just because someone is a 'celebrity' doesn't automatically mean they aren't qualified. Of course it doesn't mean they are either.

Hitler gave great speeches TOO!!!!!!

mom_wrhsc
by on Apr. 15, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Agree with Ann7277

mom_wrhsc
by on Apr. 15, 2009 at 11:55 AM

oops I ment 7227

luckcharm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2009 at 12:03 PM

I think it depends on the actor and what qualities/qualifications they have to back them up.  I don't believe you need to have a background in law, politics that sort of thing to do a good job in that area. 

I actually think more people outside of that background need to run for politics.  It seems to me this country could definatly benefit from some good old common sense.  

sweetie00
by on Apr. 15, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Yes, I would. Sometimes the ppl with the least experience in "politics" have a better perspective. Not in every case, but sometimes.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 15, 2009 at 4:29 PM

I think as long as you are qualified then sure.

However, I do NOT want to listen to that women at a press conference... I can't stand her voice!

Wife of a Marine - Mommy to a Little Prince

& Expecting a Princess in May!                

Ann7227
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Her laugh drives me nuts !!!!!lol

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I think as long as you are qualified then sure.

However, I do NOT want to listen to that women at a press conference... I can't stand her voice!

gogetem
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Can't say.  I don't know enough about her, which means research....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN