Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hot Topic Poll: Would you vote for her?

Poll

Question: What do you think about celebrities who run for office? Are they qualified?

Options:

Yes, there are many celebrities who are now in office

Maybe, it would depend on what they are running on

No, what the heck do celebrities know about government?

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 53

View Results

Fran Drescher, known to many as 'The Nanny,' is contemplating a run for office in the next few years.  The actress was asked last year to be considered as a possible replacement for Hillary Clinton's former seat as New York's junior senator.    

At the National Press Club in Washington, Drescher stated, "I feel very privileged to be able to articulate my positions and my opinions on a myriad of subjects, and now I've been encouraged by many people in the general public, as well as Democratic funders and high level elected officials on both sides of the party line to seriously consider running."   

Would you vote for her?  What do you think about celebrities who run for office?  Are they qualified?

Fran Drescher

< The Cafe Group Admin Team

by on Apr. 15, 2009 at 9:53 AM
Replies (11-14):
ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 15, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Like any other candidate, it would depend upon her platform.  I wouldnt vote for her just because she is a celebrity, but I wouln't not vote for her because she is.  It's all about the platform silly!

hsteele
by on Apr. 16, 2009 at 12:41 AM

Quoting JJTaylor:

There are plenty that have done fantastic jobs... I am not sure how many remember that President Regan was probably the epitome of famous and made it all the way to President!!!  He was a pretty famous actor in the "day".  I recall Sonny Bono, The guy that played Gopher on the Love Boat ran or may still be in politics, Jesse Ventura was a governor of Minnesota. Arnold (the Terminator) is governor of California! I am sure there are plenty more I am missing...

I think if they are serious and know what they are getting into, they have just as much right to run as anyone else! 

I think Clint Eastwood was the mayor of Carmel in CA.

Heather
Proud Pagan Mama

"...now you're in the minority. Its supposed to taste
like a $h&t taco."
~John Stewart~
ellyc19111
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Quoting Ann7227:

Her laugh drives me nuts !!!!!lol

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I think as long as you are qualified then sure.

However, I do NOT want to listen to that women at a press conference... I can't stand her voice!

I'm with you regarding both her voice & her laugh. But hey, look what's in office now? So I guess it's a free for all.

Dzyre1115
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Honestly I don't think celebrities should be government officials, I'm sorry but after a certain point of fame they have a warped sense of reality and cannot relate to everyday people!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured