Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Your BELIEFS......................

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2009 at 10:59 PM
  • 51 Replies

no matter how strong they are,  are STILL just YOUR beliefs. They are NOT  facts. I believe differently. Are you wrong?? am I?? sorry but as Passionate as you are you do NOT know for sure. You can believe it with all your heart, mind and soul but that does NOT make it a fact.

Just sayin'

by on Apr. 16, 2009 at 10:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1bluediamond
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2009 at 11:05 PM

clappingshouting

Eilish
by on Apr. 16, 2009 at 11:36 PM

Food for thought .... (from a journal of mine a while back)

A common rebuttal to many arguments, which seems to be used as a last resort, is "what is true for you is wrong for me," and visa versa. This rebuttal almost always wins out because the opposing side cannot argue truth, and if one changes the concept of truth, then they are protected from further scrutiny.

But can multiple truths exist? Is it possible that a multitude of people can look at a single issue and come up with different conclusions that are all right? At first glance you might think that it is possible, we do it all of the time. But look more closely at what the philosophy of multiple truths implies.

If we say that multiple truths exist, then we must assume that for any one issue, there are an infinite number of truths. If there are an infinite number of truths, there can be no falsehoods because all opinions would be looked at as truth. In other words, everyone who as any kind of opinion on any issue, would always be right and no one would ever be wrong.

If we say that absolute, or a single truth, exists, then for any given issue there will be one truth and a multitude of falsehoods. Between two differing opinions there will be one opinion that is right, one that is wrong, OR both will be wrong, but both CANNOT be right. What happens when someone is wrong? You have conflict; war, debate, arguments, discussions, fights, lover's quarrels, etc.

So how can we tell which philosophy exists? Let's apply these two ideals to abortion. If multiple truths exist, then both prolifers and prochoicers would be 100% right 100% of the time, and neither side would be wrong; no conflict. If an absolute truth exists, then one side is right, and the other is wrong, OR both are wrong; there is conflict. So the question is, do we have conflict? 35 years ago today marks the anniversary of the Roe v. Wade decision. For 35 years there has been strong passionate debate between those who advocate the rights of woman and those who advocate the right to live. For 35 years, we have been in conflict. Our conflict exists because someone (or both sides) are wrong. Conflict CANNOT exist in a world of multiple truths. It is impossible. Just the fact that I will have people disagree with me will prove my point. Absolute truth is the only philosophy that absolutely exists

• Help keep an eye on what Congress is doing. Stay informed and spread the message by posting Bills that need the People's attention - either positive or negative. This forum is open to ALL Cafemom Members.
Amybelle
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2009 at 11:51 PM

Quoting Eilish:

A common rebuttal to many arguments, which seems to be used as a last resort, is "what is true for you is wrong for me," and visa versa. This rebuttal almost always wins out because the opposing side cannot argue truth, and if one changes the concept of truth, then they are protected from further scrutiny.

But can multiple truths exist? Is it possible that a multitude of people can look at a single issue and come up with different conclusions that are all right? At first glance you might think that it is possible, we do it all of the time. But look more closely at what the philosophy of multiple truths implies.

If we say that multiple truths exist, then we must assume that for any one issue, there are an infinite number of truths. If there are an infinite number of truths, there can be no falsehoods because all opinions would be looked at as truth. In other words, everyone who as any kind of opinion on any issue, would always be right and no one would ever be wrong.

If we say that absolute, or a single truth, exists, then for any given issue there will be one truth and a multitude of falsehoods. Between two differing opinions there will be one opinion that is right, one that is wrong, OR both will be wrong, but both CANNOT be right. What happens when someone is wrong? You have conflict; war, debate, arguments, discussions, fights, lover's quarrels, etc.

So how can we tell which philosophy exists? Let's apply these two ideals to abortion. If multiple truths exist, then both prolifers and prochoicers would be 100% right 100% of the time, and neither side would be wrong; no conflict. If an absolute truth exists, then one side is right, and the other is wrong, OR both are wrong; there is conflict. So the question is, do we have conflict? 35 years ago today marks the anniversary of the Roe v. Wade decision. For 35 years there has been strong passionate debate between those who advocate the rights of woman and those who advocate the right to live. For 35 years, we have been in conflict. Our conflict exists because someone (or both sides) are wrong. Conflict CANNOT exist in a world of multiple truths. It is impossible. Just the fact that I will have people disagree with me will prove my point. Absolute truth is the only philosophy that absolutely exists

In case you Missed it. (& I'll make it BOLD for ya)

" no matter how strong they are,  they are STILL just YOUR beliefs. They are NOT  facts. I believe differently. Are you wrong?? am I?? Sorry but as Passionate as you are you do NOT know for sure. You can believe it with all your heart, mind and soul but that does NOT make it a fact."

.Tiggeroo87.
by on Apr. 16, 2009 at 11:55 PM

I don't care. People are always going to think they're right, but that's only because they're afraid of being wrong for a change. 

I'm a pro-choicepro-optionsSingleStay at homeWelfare bummin'unemployedPart-time schoolin' Universitydisposable diapering 'cause it's easier than cleaning shit off clothSelective vaccinating 'cause I said soex-formula feeding 'cause I was just too damn lazy to breastfeedNon-circumsizing but don't give a shit if you cut your son's pludegive my kiddo pop once in a pink moonCIO since my kid was old enough to roll overCANADIANABORIGINALMAMA

Eilish
by on Apr. 17, 2009 at 12:03 AM

Quoting Amybelle:

Quoting Eilish:

" no matter how strong they are,  they are STILL just YOUR beliefs. They are NOT  facts. I believe differently. Are you wrong?? am I?? Sorry but as Passionate as you are you do NOT know for sure. You can believe it with all your heart, mind and soul but that does NOT make it a fact."

And in case you missed it ... both your belief and my belief cannot be right at the same time. Either one of us is wrong, or both of us is wrong, but both cannot be right.

• Help keep an eye on what Congress is doing. Stay informed and spread the message by posting Bills that need the People's attention - either positive or negative. This forum is open to ALL Cafemom Members.
lynz63
by Member on Apr. 17, 2009 at 12:15 AM

Quoting Amybelle:

Quoting Eilish:

I think I thunk when I was young that boy's were sweet as pie. But when I think of what I thunk, I think I thunk a lie...Am I RIGHT? OR  Am I WRONG? I'm NOT really feeling too PASSIONATE about it. But then I'm NOT really sure. I kind of feel it in my HEART and SOUL...but them again maybe it's NOT really a FACT...in my MIND. What do YOU think? 

lynz63

Katie911
by on Apr. 17, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Quoting Amybelle:

Quoting Eilish:

So because you don't agree with others beliefs that makes it wrong?  How bout because I disagree with your beliefs I think your wrong?  AND HOW THE HELL DO YOU KNOW WHAT IS FACT OR NOT!!! AT LEAST WE HAVE FAITH IN SOMETHING.  I don't agree with atheists or pagans.  BUT I have friends here on Cafemom from both faiths.  I don't judge a person for their beliefs and I would appreicate it if you all would quit judging me for mine.  I love my God, and that is MY choice.  Rather you do or not is up to you.  You accuse me of hate but I have never stated I hate anyone.  I have never even said anything against anyone in particular.  I disagreed with a post.  So what?!  So What if I don't support certain things.  I have the right to my opinions and I am tired of be ripped because I don't agree with you.  And no matter how much you hate me, I don't hate you.  We are all people in this world.  No matter who we believe created it.  And we all have to live together.  I can accept you don't agree with my beliefs.  Can you accept that I don't agree with yours?

Amybelle
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2009 at 12:39 AM

Quoting Katie911:

Quoting Amybelle:

Quoting Eilish:

So because you don't agree with others beliefs that makes it wrong?  How bout because I disagree with your beliefs I think your wrong?  AND HOW THE HELL DO YOU KNOW WHAT IS FACT OR NOT!!! AT LEAST WE HAVE FAITH IN SOMETHING.  I don't agree with atheists or pagans.  BUT I have friends here on Cafemom from both faiths.  I don't judge a person for their beliefs and I would appreicate it if you all would quit judging me for mine.  I love my God, and that is MY choice.  Rather you do or not is up to you.  You accuse me of hate but I have never stated I hate anyone.  I have never even said anything against anyone in particular.  I disagreed with a post.  So what?!  So What if I don't support certain things.  I have the right to my opinions and I am tired of be ripped because I don't agree with you.  And no matter how much you hate me, I don't hate you.  We are all people in this world.  No matter who we believe created it.  And we all have to live together.  I can accept you don't agree with my beliefs.  Can you accept that I don't agree with yours?

LMAO!! can you READ?? do you have basic comprehention skills?? are you so BULL-Headed that you DON"t get it?? or do you just want to argue for arguements sake??

Eilish
by on Apr. 17, 2009 at 12:43 AM

Quoting Amybelle:

Quoting Katie911:

Quoting Amybelle:

Quoting Eilish:

LMAO!! can you READ?? do you have basic comprehention skills?? are you so BULL-Headed that you DON"t get it?? or do you just want to argue for arguements sake??

Wait a minute?? How do you know that we DON'T know for sure? Because you weren't able to find proof for our beliefs?

I'll say this again ...

I believe differently. Are you wrong?? am I??

.... either your or wrong, or I am wrong, or we are both wrong, but we cannot both be right.

Amybelle
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2009 at 12:47 AM

Quoting Eilish:

Wait a minute?? How do you know that we DON'T know for sure? Because you weren't able to find proof for our beliefs?

I'll say this again ...

I believe differently. Are you wrong?? am I??

.... either your or wrong, or I am wrong, or we are both wrong, but we cannot both be right.

Uhhhhhhhhh the Point is we DO NOT KNOW. You can BELIEVE with every fiber of your being but sorry Hun You don't KNOW.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)