Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

We can make a difference! weed related lol

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2009 at 3:18 PM
  • 7 Replies

You Can Make a Difference

Dear Tonisha,

Tell President Obama it's time for a serious debate about marijuana prohibition.

Take Action Now
Email the president.

"I don’t know what this says about the online audience," joked President Obama during his first virtual town hall meeting. He was dismissing an idea submitted by tens of thousands of Americans: making marijuana legal.

This week, President Obama is visiting Mexico and seeing first hand the drug war violence that is spilling over our southern border, violence you and I know is fueled by marijuana prohibition.

Now that he’s seen what’s really happening, you have the chance to tell the president it's time for a serious discussion about the consequences of marijuana prohibition.

Thousands of people have been killed in the drug war in Mexico in the last couple of years. The drug traffickers are stockpiling machine guns and grenades and now are operating in hundreds of U.S. cities. This level of violence is the inevitable result of policies that create a lucrative black market.

You and I understand that ending marijuana prohibition would reduce violence and corruption the same way ending alcohol Prohibition did. I hope now that President Obama has seen the grisly consequences of marijuana prohibition first hand, he will no longer joke about marijuana law reform. Join me in telling him: This issue is deadly serious, and it's time to put all options on the table.

Sincerely,

Bill Piper
Director, Office of National Affairs
Drug Policy Alliance Network

by on Apr. 17, 2009 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
metalcowgirl34
by on Apr. 17, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Yup, I was really pissed at him for making a joke out of that question.  He is supposed to represent us, and if a large number of people feel a certain way, he has an obligation to listen!  At least that's what this country was SUPPOSED to be like originally. 

tvschiulaz
by on Apr. 17, 2009 at 4:17 PM

If you want to legalize marijuana, it is up to the Congress/Senate to present it to the President.  The President does not make automatic decrees.  And in all honesty why would he? I am sure that there are a lot of corrupt politicians out there that are making money off of the drug trade.

LSmomof1
by on Apr. 17, 2009 at 4:22 PM

yeah, that wasnt a joke..so he shouldn't of laughed at it...IMO marijuna should NOT be legalized....but different people have different views... 

goldd_e_loxx
by Member on Apr. 17, 2009 at 4:24 PM

This is funny because I received a text message today...

Call 516-833-3982 to vote to legalize marijuana to save the economy (It'll save $100 Billion)

I haven't tried to call, and I don't know anything about the legitimacy of the number, but I thought it was a funny coinceidence!

In all seriousness, I agree that marijuana should be legalized.  It makes no sense to me that it is legal to smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol while smoking marijuana is not legal.

sweetie00
by on Apr. 17, 2009 at 8:06 PM

I think all drugs should be legal. It irked me, too, that he laughed it off.

hsteele
by on Apr. 17, 2009 at 8:10 PM

He probably wanted to preserve his image that he isn't soft on drugs. But he needs to realize that our drug problem isn't the drugs themselves, its the taboo put on those drugs and the violence that goes along with an illegal substance. Whether he wants to legalize or not, i do not think it will ever happen. There are too many uptight people in this nation who want to police what we do with our bodies.

Heather
Proud Pagan Mama

"...now you're in the minority. Its supposed to taste
like a $h&t taco."
~John Stewart~
Lexy2518
by Member on Apr. 17, 2009 at 9:48 PM

Quoting goldd_e_loxx:

This is funny because I received a text message today...

Call 516-833-3982 to vote to legalize marijuana to save the economy (It'll save $100 Billion)

I haven't tried to call, and I don't know anything about the legitimacy of the number, but I thought it was a funny coinceidence!

In all seriousness, I agree that marijuana should be legalized.  It makes no sense to me that it is legal to smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol while smoking marijuana is not legal.

I agree with your statement gold e loxx....last night a drunk driver slammed into a utility pole and killed his passenger...he is alive and going to jail, but I would consider the alcohol to be a murder weapon....wouldn't you?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN