Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hot Topic (4/18): Do Kids Need a Mom and a Dad?

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2009 at 1:19 AM
  • 44 Replies

Some famous moms, like Nadya Suleman, decide to have children without a dad in their lives.

Is that decision irresponsible? 

Will children suffer if they don't have both a dad and a mom involved in their daily lives?

Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Apr. 18, 2009 at 1:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amybelle
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2009 at 1:21 AM

A child can NEVER have too many people to Love, Care for & Guide them :)

mymichelle2002
by Member on Apr. 18, 2009 at 1:24 AM

Quoting Cafe GroupAdmin:

Some famous moms, like Nadya Suleman, decide to have children without a dad in their lives.

Is that decision irresponsible?  OH Don't even get me started on that loser!!!!!!!

Will children suffer if they don't have both a dad and a mom involved in their daily lives?  No.

Dayija
by on Apr. 18, 2009 at 1:28 AM

I think it depends on how strong the parent is. Some can do it on their own and some can't.  

Fan of WifeSwap? Come "WifeSwap" It Out!

hsteele
by on Apr. 18, 2009 at 3:14 AM

I do not think single parents are generally less equipped to care for children than a two parent household (whether thats a mom and dad, 2 moms or 2 dads). I think what matters is the ability of that parent and whether they are financially capable of caring for those children, as in able to give them food clothing and shelter and of course whether that parent loves the children. In Nadya Sulemans case, she's got her mother in the home with her, so she's technically not doing it alone, but her case is way beyond the need of a mother and a father for those children.

Heather
Proud Pagan Mama

"...now you're in the minority. Its supposed to taste
like a $h&t taco."
~John Stewart~
Check out my Group especially for Pagan Families
http://www.cafemom.com/group/paganfamilies
zava_t
by on Apr. 18, 2009 at 3:22 AM

Please lets not refer to Nadya Suleman as "famous".

No, I do not think children need both parents in order to become well rounded, productive members of society. A single parent with no outside help from the other parent can raise an emotionally healthy and stable child.

momaof8
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2009 at 7:33 AM

I think the ideal situation is two parents. Now things happen and parents have to parent alone so be it. But if your looking for the best situation two parents are better than one if it is possible.

christina0607
by on Apr. 18, 2009 at 9:44 AM

this

Quoting momaof8:

I think the ideal situation is two parents. Now things happen and parents have to parent alone so be it. But if your looking for the best situation two parents are better than one if it is possible.

Junebug926
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2009 at 10:01 AM

I also agree with this. I think it is important for a child to have both a mom and a dad.

Quoting christina0607:

this

Quoting momaof8:

Eilish
by on Apr. 18, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Both the mother and the father play vital and distinct roles. Yes, I think they are both highly important. It is one thing to get stuck as a single-mom, it is a whole different matter when you make yourself a single mom. It's a shame that our society has diminished the invaluable role of the father.

• Help keep an eye on what Congress is doing. Stay informed and spread the message by posting Bills that need the People's attention - either positive or negative. This forum is open to ALL Cafemom Members.
ColtsFan1912
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Ok using octomom as a reference of single moms is just an insult & horrid example lol

do i think a child needs both, no.iI think a single mom or dad CAN DO it ,. . but i honestly think the ideal is both, a mom & a dad. Yes thinks happen where a parent is loss or choses to leave, & that single parent can do just fine. . .but i do think the very best is a mom &^ dad (long as both are loving & caring)

"angels pass me by when I look into your blue eyes. . .To sum it up all in one, I can't help but loving you, reminders of finer things so pure you were sure they would crumble & break, but so beautiful you knew they could not..perfect down to the last eyelash" Element 101.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)