Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hot Topic (4/19): Egg Donation

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2009 at 12:05 AM
  • 24 Replies

There are clinics where women can go to donate their eggs.  For thousands of dollars.

In this economy would you do this to pay bills? Would you do this at all? What are your thoughts?

Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Apr. 19, 2009 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hsteele
by on Apr. 19, 2009 at 12:09 AM

I believe it is major surgery, so the thousands of dollars is a good fee. Not sure I would ever do it. For one there are just too many people in this world already and too many children in foster care. If you can't have children naturally, maybe one should consider the option of adoption first. I've tried to talk my husband into it but so far haven't been successful. I also don't think I would ever want to take that kind of medical risk for a stranger. Maybe if my sister asked me, I would donate an egg for her, but probably not for a stranger even for a few thousand dollars.

Heather
Proud Pagan Mama

"...now you're in the minority. Its supposed to taste
like a $h&t taco."
~John Stewart~
Check out my Group especially for Pagan Families
http://www.cafemom.com/group/paganfamilies
morningdove831
by on Apr. 19, 2009 at 8:08 AM

I would only do it for a close family member or friend, but not for strangers.  It's too major a procedure to just put myself on the line for folks I don't know.   

christina0607
by on Apr. 19, 2009 at 9:09 AM

I would do it in a heart beat....where do I sign up?

MaDisnsMom2008
by New Member on Apr. 19, 2009 at 9:16 AM

I would only do it for my friends or family. People that are close to me but i wouldnt do it for somebody i didn'know

Piscean
by Member on Apr. 19, 2009 at 9:18 AM

I couldn't do it. It would be like selling one of my babies. I know that sounds weird, but I can't imagine having one of my kids walking around in the world without me. LOL...

On a separate note, if it were a family member or close friend who couldn't have kids otherwise, I'd consider it...but I don't know if I could do it even then.

KBSSJ5
by New Member on Apr. 19, 2009 at 9:21 AM

I have thought about it a lot.... I would also do it... the thing is it can take up to a year its not a quick thing. you have to gvo through all tests and give your self hormone injections and all kinds of other things..... i think its a good oppertunity for someone who cant have kids. 

"The only people you need in your life are the ones that prove that they need you in theirs!"**~~He has no idea how much I love him~~**

mazomama
by on Apr. 19, 2009 at 9:27 AM

I always say that if one of my sisters needed me to carry a child for them i would, but the topic of egg donation is still something that's open in my mind. I think that if it were a option given to me i just may take it because we are (like many others) are living paycheck to paycheck and to have more of security financially would be worth it for my children.

Estrella

cm08
by on Apr. 19, 2009 at 9:46 AM

To me it's not a donation if you profit from it. 

Egg Donor Profits:

"Egg Donors can earn huge money by a woman who is willing to help a family in need! We have seen cash fees paid to Egg Donors in the range of $8,000 to as much as $20,000.  Donating eggs can be both a wonderful thing to do and a profitable thing as well."

--------

I think I would just rent out my garage space instead.  It's less invasive. Tongue3

sweetie00
by on Apr. 19, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Quoting hsteele:

I believe it is major surgery, so the thousands of dollars is a good fee. Not sure I would ever do it. For one there are just too many people in this world already and too many children in foster care. If you can't have children naturally, maybe one should consider the option of adoption first. I've tried to talk my husband into it but so far haven't been successful. I also don't think I would ever want to take that kind of medical risk for a stranger. Maybe if my sister asked me, I would donate an egg for her, but probably not for a stranger even for a few thousand dollars.

Me ,too. What is his reasoning?

MegaMamaTX
by Member on Apr. 19, 2009 at 10:45 AM

I AGREE 100%!!!

What if these said kids looked you up one day and say "Hey Im your egg donor baby!" No way for me. I like knowing my children and having them in my life. I could never give my "kids" (eggs) away.

For family, I wouldnt donate an egg. Id rather be a surrogate for them instead.

Quoting Piscean:

I couldn't do it. It would be like selling one of my babies. I know that sounds weird, but I can't imagine having one of my kids walking around in the world without me. LOL...

On a separate note, if it were a family member or close friend who couldn't have kids otherwise, I'd consider it...but I don't know if I could do it even then.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured