Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Today's Hot Topic (4/20): Was This "Irresponsible" ?

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 12:05 AM
  • 24 Replies

Obama's appearance with Chavez has drawn some heat.
Obama's appearance with Chavez has drawn some heat.

(CNN) Sen. John Ensign, R-Nevada, told CNN Sunday it was "irresponsible" for President Obama to have been seen "laughing and joking" with Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez at the Summit of the Americas on Friday.

"This is a person who is one of the most anti-American leaders in the entire world," Ensign told CNN's John King on State of The Union. "He is a brutal dictator and human rights violations are very, very prevalent in Venezuela. And you have to be careful."

"When you're talking about the prestige of the United States and the presidency of the United States, you have to be careful who you're seen joking around with," he also said.

Chavez — whose anti-U.S. rhetoric has included calling former President George W. Bush the devil — announced Saturday he is considering naming an ambassador to the United States, signaling a potential shift in the tense relations between the two nations.

Speaking to reporters Sunday in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, Obama brushed aside criticism of the appearance, saying, "It's unlikely that as a consequence of me shaking hands or having a polite conversation with Mr. Chavez that we are endangering the strategic interests of the United States."

"Even with the imaginative crowd, I think that you would be hard pressed to paint a scenario where US interests would be damaged as a consequence of us having a more constructive relationship with Venezuela," he said.

Also appearing on CNN, Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar, a Democrat, downplayed the moment between Obama and the Venezuelan leader, saying, "all the president did was shake his hand like George Bush [did]."

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tericared
by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 12:12 AM

"Even with the imaginative crowd, I think that you would be hard pressed to paint a scenario where US interests would be damaged as a consequence of us having a more constructive relationship with Venezuela," he said.  

I totally agree..

Palestinian People are defending themselves and their Land and their Homes against Israeli war crimes and Israeli war criminals, both military and civilian.

aquarius75
by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 12:15 AM

I love the old saying have your friends close n your enemies closer........who knows whats up, maybe he is just trying to get a feel for what is going on around him. I am the kind of person that does not like to make a final decision on someone until I have looked in their face while speaking with them. If I was a President, I would most certainly be putting feelers out to see where everyone stands.

ddbz
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2009 at 1:08 AM

Doesn't Venezuela have a lot of oil - wait - this isn't the Bush administration any more ... never mind ...

stormcris
by Christy on Apr. 20, 2009 at 1:55 AM

Well he said he was going to sit down with all our adversaries and make friends.(I am paraphrasing)

jblueeyes228
by Member on Apr. 20, 2009 at 5:29 AM

Quoting aquarius75:

I love the old saying have your friends close n your enemies closer........who knows whats up, maybe he is just trying to get a feel for what is going on around him. I am the kind of person that does not like to make a final decision on someone until I have looked in their face while speaking with them. If I was a President, I would most certainly be putting feelers out to see where everyone stands.

Yup, Yup, Yup. I agree 100percent. 

IhartU
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2009 at 7:46 AM

In order to bring down an enemy, you have to  understand  that enemy, and what better way to do that than to 'make friends'?

conniecabe
by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 9:20 AM

I guess it's only okay if you're a Republican.  Here's a youtube video Iposted in another thread on this same topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXcroVjBqNU

cdgoldilocks
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2009 at 10:13 AM

It is called DIPLOMACY. You can disagree with someone and still be respectful to them.

2egbhgx.jpg Eleanor Roosevelt image by whatadollx3

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have. -Barry Goldwater

JJTaylor
by Member on Apr. 20, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Okay, I have to admit, my initial thoughts were a little scary.  Fear of this man... I fear scary, hate-mind filled people that are running so many of these countries around the world... honestly, it freaked me out!

That being said, I am trying to see all sides of this, I can see that keeping your friends close-enemies closer could very well be a good thing... and I am hopeful that this wasn't a mistake. 

I got to admit I am on the fence and hoping for the best outcome on this... but I gotta tell ya, I am not feeling it right now... as much as I have supported and could see why Obama has done the many things he has done previously since becoming president, this one does bother me.  Does that mean I think he supports these "bad guys" opinions and thoughts of America and all it's people?  NO, not even remotely. 

dr_m
by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Quoting conniecabe:

I guess it's only okay if you're a Republican.  Here's a youtube video Iposted in another thread on this same topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXcroVjBqNU

thanks for the video !   toooo  funny !!!!!   relax, have some tea... lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN