Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do the opinions of 'celebrities' REALLY affect your opinions???

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 12:28 PM
  • 13 Replies

Poll

Question: Do the opinions of stars influence your political views?

Options:

yes I consider the political stance of stars I like

no I don't care what stars think about politics

Other (Please explain) I consider it but I don't base my opinion soley on their's

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 31

View Results

With both parties using 'star power' during the election, and the uproar over the political statements made by Janeane Garofalo, and Jackie Chan over the last few days, I have to wonder if people's opinions are really affected by the opinions of "stars". Are there people that think to themselves, ' _________ is my favorite actor so since he likes _____ I will vote for him??' What do you think about people that makes their decisions based on the opinions of stars? Do you let their opinions influence you????

Hitler gave great speeches TOO!!!!!!

by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Junebug926
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2009 at 12:47 PM

No. Actually sometimes there are celebrities that speak and I think "ick!" I think it's pretty shallow to "like" and actor because he/she has done films you like them in. Lacking of substance if you ask me.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 20, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Their job is to PRETEND.

Why should their opinion matter to me any more than a stranger in the grocery store.  I don't know them.  If I like your movies and you don't support my candidate I'm not going to stop watching your movies...  KWIM?

As for the celebrities that made their own commercials and such during the campaign...  I found it extremely annoying.  I live in SoCal and they were on every 15 seconds!  It was ridiculous.  I would rather hear about the issues from the actual candidates than Jamie Fox talking about "change"  (just an example)...

Wife of a Marine - Mommy to a Little Prince

& Expecting a Princess in May!                

cdgoldilocks
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2009 at 1:13 PM

No. Many of them are truly out of touch with "real" Americans and our struggles anyway.

2egbhgx.jpg Eleanor Roosevelt image by whatadollx3

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have. -Barry Goldwater

gogetem
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2009 at 1:14 PM

No.  I don't even bother learning their names.  LOL

Not because I don't have respect for them, I just don't pay attention to the Hollywood scene.

canthaveboys1
by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 1:15 PM

ummmmm NO!!!! I think they will say whatever to not get a bad review and possibly gain some fans. I could care less what they think I have my own mind and opinions.  

Humboldt0608
by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 1:19 PM

No. They are JUST actors/models/socialites. That doesn't make their opinion any more valuable to me. I am too secure in my own values, morals and ideals to be swayed. I also don't think that money and fame makes anyone more capable of making a decision.

keriemt
by New Member on Apr. 20, 2009 at 1:19 PM

What the celebs think politic wise isnt worth much to me. Majority of them they arent very bright and dont know what they are doing or what they are saying.

I make up my own opinions on things.

2009mom2b
by New Member on Apr. 20, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Some stars have some worthy things to say but then there are those that what comes out of their mouths are like ummm yea ok but i would not base my political views on what kate hudson or diane lane thinks.  People who base their thoughts and opinions on their fave celebrity are not their own person.  They are those people who are followers not leaders and change themselves to mold into whatever friend or guy they are with at the moment and its people like that who mess everything up for the sensible people that have their own thoughts and views

Jessicakiss

athenax3
by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 1:36 PM

No - they're just actors- and besides most are completely out of touch with a normal persons reality anyway, so the opinion is even LESS valid to the majority of people I would think.

Armywife6
by Member on Apr. 20, 2009 at 2:50 PM

No way! If I based my decision on what a celeb said why not base it on what a family memeber says or anyone else I actually know & respect. If I can't even make my own decision based on my own beliefs I don't deserve to vote IMO.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured