Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2-year-old killed by Indiana deputy’s gun. UPDATE 4/24/09.

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 9:14 PM
  • 48 Replies

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090422/LOCAL/90422016

MILLTOWN, Ind. — Police say a southern Indiana toddler accidentally shot herself to death with a handgun belonging to her stepfather, who is a reserve deputy with the Crawford County Sheriff’s Department.

State Police say 2-year-old Alexis B. Camp was in a bedroom with her stepfather, Jared Conrad, and her mother Jessica when the gun discharged Monday evening.

Crawford County Deputy Coroner Jerry Brown ruled that the girl died from an accidental self inflicted gun shot wound to the head.

Investigators say the semiautomatic handgun belonging to Conrad was left where the girl could reach it at the home near Milltown, about 30 miles northwest of Louisville, Ky.

Investigators will give their findings to the Crawford County prosecutor’s office for review.

My question: Should these adults be charged with a negligent homicide for leaving a loaded gun within a child's reach resulting in her death? ... or is the death of their child punishment enough? 

UPDATE:  The Indianapolis Star has reported since first reports were that the gun was laying on a table within the toddler's reach, it has now been determined that the ISP has released a report that it was determined the gun was between the mattress and boxsprings of the adults' bed and within the toddler's reach.  The gun was a Glock with a trigger safety and a 5 lb. pull standard.  

Change any minds?

Sherri
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 9:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Junebug926
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2009 at 9:27 PM

I live in Indy. This story is just so sad and so senseless. :(

I think the parents should be charged. Part of being a parent who is a gun owner is accepting the responsibility of keeping the gun away from the child. There are punishments set aside if you don't.

JamieLeigh02
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Being that they left it where the child could reach, yes they should be charged.

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Apr. 23, 2009 at 9:42 PM

Quoting Junebug926:

I think the parents should be charged. Part of being a parent who is a gun owner is accepting the responsibility of keeping the gun away from the child. There are punishments set aside if you don't.

I'm a Southsider (Greenwood/Southport area).  What side of town do you live?

Sherri
rella8672
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Quoting Junebug926:

I concur

luckcharm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Quoting Junebug926:

I agree.   This article says that the child was in the room with her stepfather and her mother and she still manages to shoot herself in the head?  How is that possible?

tericared
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Yes they both should be charged, this does not make sense. 2 adults, one cop by the way, in the same room with a 2 yr old and she still gets a gun and pulls the trigger......

Palestinian People are defending themselves and their Land and their Homes against Israeli war crimes and Israeli war criminals, both military and civilian.

mccainiac
by on Apr. 24, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Two wrongs don't make a right. It was an accident.I'm sure the parent's are distraught with guilt.That is the worst life sentence. 

"The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

emilysmom1966
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2009 at 10:41 AM

I agree, the death of your 2 year old is punishment enough. I would be begging them to just shoot me..... so sad. The step father on the other had should be sentenced.

Quoting mccainiac:

Two wrongs don't make a right. It was an accident.I'm sure the parent's are distraught with guilt.That is the worst life sentence. 

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2009 at 12:17 PM

No the parents should not be charged.  It was an accident nad they are going to be hard on themselves.

Lets keep in mind that kids die everyday from accidents. 

A child jumps off a wall and hits his head on the ground.  The same wall he has jumped off of everday that week.  Oh and his mom did the countdown to jump time.  Should she be charged?

A child runs out to the car as you are backing up to leave and gets hit and dies.  Should this parent be charged?

This is a horrible accident.

ColtsFan1912
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2009 at 12:42 PM

so so sad. :(

"angels pass me by when I look into your blue eyes. . .To sum it up all in one, I can't help but loving you, reminders of finer things so pure you were sure they would crumble & break, but so beautiful you knew they could not..perfect down to the last eyelash" Element 101.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured