Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

2-year-old killed by Indiana deputy’s gun. UPDATE 4/24/09.

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090422/LOCAL/90422016

MILLTOWN, Ind. — Police say a southern Indiana toddler accidentally shot herself to death with a handgun belonging to her stepfather, who is a reserve deputy with the Crawford County Sheriff’s Department.

State Police say 2-year-old Alexis B. Camp was in a bedroom with her stepfather, Jared Conrad, and her mother Jessica when the gun discharged Monday evening.

Crawford County Deputy Coroner Jerry Brown ruled that the girl died from an accidental self inflicted gun shot wound to the head.

Investigators say the semiautomatic handgun belonging to Conrad was left where the girl could reach it at the home near Milltown, about 30 miles northwest of Louisville, Ky.

Investigators will give their findings to the Crawford County prosecutor’s office for review.

My question: Should these adults be charged with a negligent homicide for leaving a loaded gun within a child's reach resulting in her death? ... or is the death of their child punishment enough? 

UPDATE:  The Indianapolis Star has reported since first reports were that the gun was laying on a table within the toddler's reach, it has now been determined that the ISP has released a report that it was determined the gun was between the mattress and boxsprings of the adults' bed and within the toddler's reach.  The gun was a Glock with a trigger safety and a 5 lb. pull standard.  

Change any minds?

Sherri
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 9:14 PM
Replies (11-20):
lbranta
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2009 at 1:25 PM

I agree fully

Quoting Junebug926:

I live in Indy. This story is just so sad and so senseless. :(

I think the parents should be charged. Part of being a parent who is a gun owner is accepting the responsibility of keeping the gun away from the child. There are punishments set aside if you don't.

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Apr. 24, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Quoting Godgaveme4:

No the parents should not be charged.  It was an accident nad they are going to be hard on themselves.

Lets keep in mind that kids die everyday from accidents. 

A child jumps off a wall and hits his head on the ground.  The same wall he has jumped off of everday that week.  Oh and his mom did the countdown to jump time.  Should she be charged?

A child runs out to the car as you are backing up to leave and gets hit and dies.  Should this parent be charged?

This is a horrible accident.

I'm not sure how one can compare a loaded gun to a wall or a car.  The main purposes of walls or cars are not to kill or maim, so when children fall or are hit, those are truly accidents.   The main purpose of a loaded gun is to kill or maim, so to have one lying around within the reach of a child is negligent behavior, and also criminal IMO. 

They should both be charged - both were in the room and were aware of the gun on the table near where their child was playing.  Charging the adults for negligent homicide would send a message to other gun owners not to be so reckless with their weapons.  Maybe if a few of these people did some jail time, it would send the message to others - because, obviously, the number of children killed this way each year apparently is not.

Sherri
ellyc19111
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Quoting luckcharm:

Quoting Junebug926:

I think the parents should be charged. Part of being a parent who is a gun owner is accepting the responsibility of keeping the gun away from the child. There are punishments set aside if you don't.

I agree.   This article says that the child was in the room with her stepfather and her mother and she still manages to shoot herself in the head?  How is that possible?

Who knows what they were doing? Ever have a 2 year old? They move unbelieveably fast.

ColtsFan1912
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2009 at 2:08 PM

of course a two year old can run fast. thats why a gun should NEVER been within reach or sight of one.

Quoting ellyc19111:

Quoting luckcharm:

Quoting Junebug926:

I agree.   This article says that the child was in the room with her stepfather and her mother and she still manages to shoot herself in the head?  How is that possible?

Who knows what they were doing? Ever have a 2 year old? They move unbelieveably fast.

"angels pass me by when I look into your blue eyes. . .To sum it up all in one, I can't help but loving you, reminders of finer things so pure you were sure they would crumble & break, but so beautiful you knew they could not..perfect down to the last eyelash" Element 101.

savannahnhi
by on Apr. 24, 2009 at 2:11 PM

I think they should be charge.  How stupid is that policeman to leave a gun unlock with a 2 years old in the house

ellyc19111
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

of course a two year old can run fast. thats why a gun should NEVER been within reach or sight of one.

Quoting ellyc19111:

Quoting luckcharm:

Quoting Junebug926:

Hey, don't yell at me, I didn't do it nor am I sticking up for them.

pagan_mama
by Member on Apr. 24, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Even with 2 parents in the same room, 2 year olds can do things so fast, and the parents ought to know this... These parents will have to live with this for the rest of their lives. I'm not sure if they should be charged or not. Their actions must certainly be thoroughly investigated, and some hard questions need to be asked about this tragedy. The gun should certainly be locked at all times when there is a child in the home, and a policeman should know this, even better than a member of the general public. On the other hand, we do not know all the circumstances of what happened, so I don't think it is up to us to judge. 

Scorpio359
by on Apr. 24, 2009 at 3:27 PM

No they should not be charged, they are living in hell now knowing what happened. What if you had a knife in your kitchen and your 2 year old grabbed it and fell on it. Would you want to be put in jail? Pretty soon everything will be a weapon. A can of bug spray can kill a toddler if inhaled. Your nail polish, your hair products, cleaning supplies, plastic wrap, can all be weapons.  What if you ran over your child backing out of your driveway? They will suffer the rest of their lives but maybe this will be a wake up call for all parents.

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Quoting Scorpio359:

No they should not be charged, they are living in hell now knowing what happened. What if you had a knife in your kitchen and your 2 year old grabbed it and fell on it. Would you want to be put in jail? Pretty soon everything will be a weapon. A can of bug spray can kill a toddler if inhaled. Your nail polish, your hair products, cleaning supplies, plastic wrap, can all be weapons.  What if you ran over your child backing out of your driveway? They will suffer the rest of their lives but maybe this will be a wake up call for all parents.

Thank you that is exactly what I was trying to say....you just said it better.

mamaoftwins9197
by Member on Apr. 24, 2009 at 3:32 PM

I think they should be OP, especially since the article says they were in the room with her!  How could you be in the room with your child and them have enough time to grad a loaded gun from wherever and shoot themselves with it???  WTF!!!  So Sad!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)