Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hot Topic (4/25): Weight Discrimination

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2009 at 12:02 AM
  • 29 Replies

I found this at the USA Today website:

"Weight discrimination is a very serious social problem that we need to pay attention to," says Rebecca Puhl of the Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity at Yale University, a co-author of both studies. 

Do you think weight discrimination is a real problem?

Have you experienced it?

Do you discriminate against people because of their weight?  Do you make judgments based on weight?

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Apr. 25, 2009 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
itssweetness
by Member on Apr. 25, 2009 at 12:03 AM

It's real. No doubt.

itssweetness

ddbz
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2009 at 1:40 AM

Weight discrimination is real, but it cuts both ways. There's nothing worse than being the one thin person in a group of overweight women. They can dish it out but they can't take it. 

As long as I'm not slowed down by someone else's weight, it's not my business.

zava_t
by on Apr. 25, 2009 at 1:47 AM

It's real. I've lived through it and am continuing to live through it. There are a lot of people who think that if you're overweight you're just a fat slob. The same thing happens to skinny people in reverse---they must have some eating disorder. It's sad and pathetic but a lot of it stems from Hollywood and the stigma they attach to beauty.

Look at Megan Fox. She's beautiful and thin yet hates her body and feels uncomfortable in her own skin. Then you see covers of magazines pointing out cellulite with disgusting headlines and it's no wonder that the body image epidemic is out of control.

Sometimes you're just born skinny and it doesn't matter what you eat. Sometimes you're just born with a predisposition to be overweight. I think I read somewhere that you're best bet for being an average weight is to have both your parents at an average weight plus three of your grandparents.

Then there are a boatload of chemical and hormonal imbalances that cause slow metabolism or easy weight gain. I suffer from PCOS. Losing weight is hard.

People can be mean on both ends of the spectrum whether you're super skinny or overweight. It will always be that way, and it's sad.

Amybelle
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2009 at 1:49 AM

just takes one to start............doen't matter which............. Skinny Bashes Fat.......Fat bashes Skinny................Either/Or,  I'm starting to believe TOO Many women are completly miserable with themselves and take it out on others.

lbranta
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2009 at 1:54 AM

Yes there is a real problem with weight discrimination.  If your not a perfect mediam then you get alot of discrimination.  I have always been discriminated against because I have always been very very thing.  I have no eating disorder and never have I like my food and I like to keep it down.  I hate very much when I hear and see people discriminating against anyone for their weight.  I have one thing to say to those people who do, do that "  Wouldn't the world be boring if we were all the same"  Also another thing I have been known to tell people who say awful things to be about peoples wieght " Its all of us that are differant that makes you look good to others" .  Its just wrong to disciminate against a person for any reason.  But unfortunatly its a very real thing.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2009 at 6:50 AM

I grew up in a family where all the women where like 300-500 pounds. I thought it was disgusting and I vowed to never be fat like that. I was ashamed and embarrassed to be seen in public with any of them and never had friends over because I didn't want them to see my fat mother and then I'd be made fun.

I was so consumed about being skinny that in high school, I was anorexic and bulimic. In 12th grade, I barely weighed 90 pounds and during all of my pregnancies, it was extremely difficult not to starve myself or make myself throw up because I was gaining weight. Right now, after three kids, I weigh about 135 and I HATE myself more than you could ever know. Why just yesterday, I was trying on summer clothes in a dressing room and nothing fit because of my jiggly, nasty, fat stomach and ass. I was actually crying and calling myself a fat ugly bitch in the mirror!

I KNOW there is weight discrimation- I have seen it myself... people laughing and pointing at my mother and grandmother, calling them names and making them feel like total shit balls. I blame the way other people treat heavy people for the warped, twisted way I view them as well.

njpmom06
by Member on Apr. 25, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Quoting IhartU:

I grew up in a family where all the women where like 300-500 pounds. I thought it was disgusting and I vowed to never be fat like that. I was ashamed and embarrassed to be seen in public with any of them and never had friends over because I didn't want them to see my fat mother and then I'd be made fun.

I was so consumed about being skinny that in high school, I was anorexic and bulimic. In 12th grade, I barely weighed 90 pounds and during all of my pregnancies, it was extremely difficult not to starve myself or make myself throw up because I was gaining weight. Right now, after three kids, I weigh about 135 and I HATE myself more than you could ever know. Why just yesterday, I was trying on summer clothes in a dressing room and nothing fit because of my jiggly, nasty, fat stomach and ass. I was actually crying and calling myself a fat ugly bitch in the mirror!

I KNOW there is weight discrimation- I have seen it myself... people laughing and pointing at my mother and grandmother, calling them names and making them feel like total shit balls. I blame the way other people treat heavy people for the warped, twisted way I view them as well.

I don't mean this in an attacking way, but you seem to have discriminated against your fat family yourself....you said in your own words that you rarely brought friends home, and you didn't want to go out with them, because you were embarrassed.  I am sorry, but that screams discrimination.....you should have been comfy enough in your own skin to not care what people said or did.

emilysmom1966
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2009 at 10:57 AM

It's all about confidence- This is the fat me. I had lots of friends,  and boyfriends. I was very active, carried myself well. I was always in the latest layn Brant styles. My hair was always done. Ididn't like being fat but, I didn't let being fat stop my life.I t

The skinny me. Still hot still confident but healthy and excepted. I was mad at first but, I realize these people didn't know the real struggle of what it was like to be fat and to be discriminated against.

No matter who you are - you are who you are - screw everyone else.

I always knew I was a good person with a good heart.

jzsgrandma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2009 at 1:07 PM

You look fabulous!!! You were beautiful heavy but you are amazing thin and healthier, thats what is important. I was heavy when I was in my teens and early 20s, I HATED it. I had a tall thin beautiful sister who I envied. I lost the weight after my second child was born 21 yrs ago and I couldnt be happier. People who claim to happy in the fat suit are not being honest and must not have tried on the freedom of the thin suit. To not have my thighs rubbed raw and sweat non stop...no thank you!! I do look at people who are fat and I know that it is a choice. You are born with brown hair or a big nose or big feet (like I have!!) But being fat is a choice and along with that choice is discrimination. It isnt easy to keep the weight off and I have a family who loves to eat, as I do, but I have made the choice not to be fat! 

Quoting emilysmom1966:

It's all about confidence- This is the fat me. I had lots of friends,  and boyfriends. I was very active, carried myself well. I was always in the latest layn Brant styles. My hair was always done. Ididn't like being fat but, I didn't let being fat stop my life.I t

The skinny me. Still hot still confident but healthy and excepted. I was mad at first but, I realize these people didn't know the real struggle of what it was like to be fat and to be discriminated against.

No matter who you are - you are who you are - screw everyone else.

I always knew I was a good person with a good heart.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Quoting njpmom06:

Quoting IhartU:

I don't mean this in an attacking way, but you seem to have discriminated against your fat family yourself....you said in your own words that you rarely brought friends home, and you didn't want to go out with them, because you were embarrassed.  I am sorry, but that screams discrimination.....you should have been comfy enough in your own skin to not care what people said or did.

I totally understand what you're saying and as I said, I blame how others view fat people for the way I view them. If people hadn't laughed and made fun of my family, I would have never thought they were gross and went to such drastic measures to endure I was never fat...

I always here people say they are comfortable in their own skin, and I'm sorry but after being called ugly and stupid by my own mother my whole life and having to live with others mocking fat people, I just don't see how this is possible. I'll never be comfortable in my own skin and it's not because of me, but because of what others have DONE and SAID to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)