Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hot Topic (4/25): Weight Discrimination

I found this at the USA Today website:

"Weight discrimination is a very serious social problem that we need to pay attention to," says Rebecca Puhl of the Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity at Yale University, a co-author of both studies. 

Do you think weight discrimination is a real problem?

Have you experienced it?

Do you discriminate against people because of their weight?  Do you make judgments based on weight?

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Apr. 25, 2009 at 12:02 AM
Replies (21-29):
vlester
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2009 at 8:47 PM

yea i agree

Quoting Amybelle:

just takes one to start............doen't matter which............. Skinny Bashes Fat.......Fat bashes Skinny................Either/Or,  I'm starting to believe TOO Many women are completly miserable with themselves and take it out on others.

ellyc19111
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Quoting PurdueMom:

Quoting ellyc19111:

Quoting ddbz:

Weight discrimination is real, but it cuts both ways. There's nothing worse than being the one thin person in a group of overweight women. They can dish it out but they can't take it. 

As long as I'm not slowed down by someone else's weight, it's not my business.

Oh you poor thing!! My heart goes out to you! What. You got no 'skinny ' friends to jog around with?  And just what is it those fatties are dishing out to you? More food?  And what exactly is it they can't take? Maybe your pontificating? And your last statement is a total joke.  It's not your business, but yet you're MAKING it yours.

I'm sure ddbz can defend herself, but I can see where she is coming from.  I use to work in a group of 8 women, all of which weighed at least over 200 lbs each.  My average weight is a little under 120 lbs, but I have absolutely no butt - and I am self-conscious about it. 

My co-workers constantly teased me about my "skinny ass", although I never let on it bothered me.  But you would never, and I mean NEVER hear me remark on their "fat asses".  I could never say anything so cruel to anyone.  It's perceived as light teasing when it's towards a thin person, but it's perceived as mean, cruel, and rude when it's directed towards a heavy person.  There is a double standard.  

Oh and don't you feel superior? Didn't know a remark abouyt a 'skinny ass' ever hurt anybody? Then hang out with 'skinny assed people' and nobody will offend you!

ddbz
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2009 at 11:11 PM

Quoting ellyc19111:

Quoting PurdueMom:

Quoting ellyc19111:

Quoting ddbz:

Weight discrimination is real, but it cuts both ways. There's nothing worse than being the one thin person in a group of overweight women. They can dish it out but they can't take it. 

Oh you poor thing!! My heart goes out to you! What. You got no 'skinny ' friends to jog around with?  And just what is it those fatties are dishing out to you? More food?  And what exactly is it they can't take? Maybe your pontificating? And your last statement is a total joke.  It's not your business, but yet you're MAKING it yours.

I'm sure ddbz can defend herself, but I can see where she is coming from.  I use to work in a group of 8 women, all of which weighed at least over 200 lbs each.  My average weight is a little under 120 lbs, but I have absolutely no butt - and I am self-conscious about it. 

My co-workers constantly teased me about my "skinny ass", although I never let on it bothered me.  But you would never, and I mean NEVER hear me remark on their "fat asses".  I could never say anything so cruel to anyone.  It's perceived as light teasing when it's towards a thin person, but it's perceived as mean, cruel, and rude when it's directed towards a heavy person.  There is a double standard.  

Oh and don't you feel superior? Didn't know a remark abouyt a 'skinny ass' ever hurt anybody? Then hang out with 'skinny assed people' and nobody will offend you!

She wasn't "hanging out" with them. She was sharing a workplace with them. Maybe she should have quit her job?

JJTaylor
by Member on Apr. 26, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Quoting ddbz:

Quoting ellyc19111:

Quoting PurdueMom:

Quoting ellyc19111:

Quoting ddbz:

She wasn't "hanging out" with them. She was sharing a workplace with them. Maybe she should have quit her job?

Curiosity always gets me in trouble, but I have to ask...

If this is at a place of work, why then are you not voicing your dislike for what is being discussed?  This isn't a place of friendships... it's the place you are going to daily to work for a paycheck, there is no place that says you need to put up with being talked to like this.  Either way... have you ever mentioned your feelings of what they say to you directly?  Why not go to a superior, your HR dept?  That's what they are there for.  Employers get into trouble for not clearly making a line in the sand with regards to discrimination no matter what it is based on. 

This is your job, and if you are unhappy with how you are being treated you should be reporting it, not taking it. 

As for me, I am overweight, however, I would never and have never made such comments about a skinny person or another fat persons looks.  But, I am different and have lived a different life then most.  It was a long time before I become strong enough to deal with my size and I have lost almost 200 lbs, and if you or anyone thinks I am still too fat... at this point in my life I could really care less about your feelings on me.  I do not think insults are good for anyone skinny or fat.  They are wrong, wrong, wrong!!!! 

I also have a question... how do you know they are all over 200 lbs?  I ask only because peoples weights are carried so differently from person to person... height and body mass other then just fat can make someone appear or be heavier then they are... or skinnier then they are as well. 

I feel just as badly for a skinny person that is made fun of for similar reasons... when everyone is tired of making fun and pointing fingers maybe then we can heal and choose to stand up for one another and just be okay with our own selves...

by the way... I have no issue with talking about my big ol'but... which I might add... I find pretty dang flat!  I hate it!  But, my husband loves my extra fluff... and for now; I can handle that and enjoy that if one of us loves my body, I'd honestly rather it be him them me!  Does that make any sense? 

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Apr. 27, 2009 at 12:10 AM

Quoting ellyc19111:

Quoting PurdueMom:

Quoting ellyc19111:

Quoting ddbz:

I'm sorry if I implied in any way I felt superior to my co-workers.  That was not my intention, nor is it the case.   As for the comment I highlighted in red, now you know, don't you.

I worked with those women for seven years and loved every single one of them.  They obviously felt comfortable enough with me to tease me, and I never wanted to hurt anyone's feelings nor did I want anyone to ever feel she had to watch what she had to say around me so I just never mentioned it nor complained.  It was more important for me that these women liked me, and I still consider all of them friends even though we no longer work together.

The point of my post was we all have parts of our bodies we are sensitive about, no matter our size... however, it seems to me it's taboo to comment or point out the size of a large woman's butt, but it's fair game when the woman is skinny.  I was just pointing out a double standard, that's all.  

Sherri
PurdueMom
by Sherri on Apr. 27, 2009 at 12:45 AM

Quoting JJTaylor:

Curiosity always gets me in trouble, but I have to ask...

If this is at a place of work, why then are you not voicing your dislike for what is being discussed?  This isn't a place of friendships... it's the place you are going to daily to work for a paycheck, there is no place that says you need to put up with being talked to like this.  Either way... have you ever mentioned your feelings of what they say to you directly?  Why not go to a superior, your HR dept?  That's what they are there for.  Employers get into trouble for not clearly making a line in the sand with regards to discrimination no matter what it is based on.  .

This is your job, and if you are unhappy with how you are being treated you should be reporting it, not taking it. 

I didn't mean to imply that this was bothering me to the point that I felt I had to confront anyone or report it to my superior.  My point was that they thought nothing of occasionally teasing me, the lone thin person.  But if I had been the heavy one and they were all thin, their teasing me would then have been construed as mean and cruel. I was just pointing out a double standard.  I'm a grown woman, for goodness sakes.  Trust me - if it had bothered me to the point I felt I had to speak out, I would have said something.  As it was, I didn't want anyone to feel bad because of my own self-consciousness. 

As for me, I am overweight, however, I would never and have never made such comments about a skinny person or another fat persons looks.  But, I am different and have lived a different life then most.  It was a long time before I become strong enough to deal with my size and I have lost almost 200 lbs, and if you or anyone thinks I am still too fat... at this point in my life I could really care less about your feelings on me.  I do not think insults are good for anyone skinny or fat.  They are wrong, wrong, wrong!!!! 

I also have a question... how do you know they are all over 200 lbs?  I ask only because peoples weights are carried so differently from person to person... height and body mass other then just fat can make someone appear or be heavier then they are... or skinnier then they are as well. 

I worked with these women for 7 years.  I know more about them than I really ever wanted to know.  lol  Also, working in the cath lab, we weighed all our patients.  After a while, you get pretty good at guessing weight.  I could make a killing working for a carnival!  ; )

I feel just as badly for a skinny person that is made fun of for similar reasons... when everyone is tired of making fun and pointing fingers maybe then we can heal and choose to stand up for one another and just be okay with our own selves...

by the way... I have no issue with talking about my big ol'but... which I might add... I find pretty dang flat!  I hate it!  But, my husband loves my extra fluff... and for now; I can handle that and enjoy that if one of us loves my body, I'd honestly rather it be him them me!  Does that make any sense? 

Yes, it does!  Sounds like you have a great guy.

See, the problem I have now is that I have no padding in my butt and cannot sit on hard surfaces for very long.  Also, I fell last year and broke my coccyx.  Because there was nothing between my coccyx and the floor except a layer of skin, I developed a skin ulcer (similar to a bedsore) and could not sit down for several weeks without pain.  Though it is now healed, I still have extreme sensitivity in that area and cannot sit for long periods nor in certain positions.  Maybe you could share your "extra fluff" and we could have the first butt transplant in America?  ; )   

Sherri
ellyc19111
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Quoting ddbz:

Quoting ellyc19111:

Quoting PurdueMom:

Quoting ellyc19111:

Quoting ddbz:

I don't need an interpreter. I read what she wrote and understood it perfectly well thank you very much.  I'm sure it didn't bother her as much as she's letting on it did on here. Lots of these ' skinny' people use conversations like these so they can come on and brag about their skinniness and make themselves look like victims when in reality, they just want to rub it in. And if it was that unbearable, then yes, maybe she should've quit her job. Or, she could've ordered one of those padded girdles they sell at Victoria's Secret to fill her out so she'd feel 'in'.

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Apr. 27, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Quoting ellyc19111:

Quoting ddbz:

Quoting ellyc19111:

Quoting PurdueMom:

Quoting ellyc19111:

Quoting ddbz:

I don't need an interpreter. I read what she wrote and understood it perfectly well thank you very much.  I'm sure it didn't bother her as much as she's letting on it did on here. Lots of these ' skinny' people use conversations like these so they can come on and brag about their skinniness and make themselves look like victims when in reality, they just want to rub it in. And if it was that unbearable, then yes, maybe she should've quit her job. Or, she could've ordered one of those padded girdles they sell at Victoria's Secret to fill her out so she'd feel 'in'.

As I stated above, it bothered me because I am self-conscious about it.  I never said the comments were ruining my life or making me incapable of working or liking my co-workers. 

Your comments are making a point... the point that only heavy people can be victims of body-weight discrimination or ridicule.  When I point out my being self-conscious, I am in some way stealing a heavy person's thunder by bragging about my awesome body.  I am 48 years old and have had 3 children.  There is nothing about my body to brag about or rub in someone's nose.  I was pointing out a double standard, and that's it.   You obviously are too close to this issue to see my point . . .  

Sherri
evythecute
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2009 at 8:32 PM

i agree with you from a fat persons perspective that there is a double standard. But i also think that fat people have it a little worse. i bet there are very few people who have not got a job because they were too skinny. even if we don't want to admit it fat people do get passed up on jobs because of there size. Not that the discrimination is ok either way.

I am the biggest i have ever been right now but i love myself more then i ever have. I'm not proud to be fat. I am proud that i can love my fat self.

Quoting PurdueMom:

As I stated above, it bothered me because I am self-conscious about it.  I never said the comments were ruining my life or making me incapable of working or liking my co-workers. 

Your comments are making a point... the point that only heavy people can be victims of body-weight discrimination or ridicule.  When I point out my being self-conscious, I am in some way stealing a heavy person's thunder by bragging about my awesome body.  I am 48 years old and have had 3 children.  There is nothing about my body to brag about or rub in someone's nose.  I was pointing out a double standard, and that's it.   You obviously are too close to this issue to see my point . . .  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN