Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Ex-Vatican Ambassador Declines Notre Dame Medal*

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2009 at 5:57 PM
  • 9 Replies

Good for her....more n' more devout Catholics are turning away from Notre Dame due to the Obama invite. This medal is prestigous & awards tremendous honor & respect to the one selected to rec' it. She is a lay Catholic....not a Priest or any leader of the Church. She stands on her profound principles & the moral teachings of the CC. A very prominent * brave woman~

Ex-Vatican Ambassador Declines Medal At Notre Dame Commencement, Citing Obama

Former U.S. ambassador to the Vatican Mary Ann Glendon won't accept the school's Laetare Medal at commencement next month because of its decision to have President Barack Obama speak to graduates.

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Former U.S. ambassador to the Vatican Mary Ann Glendon won't accept the school's Laetare Medal at commencement next month because of its decision to have President Barack Obama speak to graduates.

Glendon also says in a letter to Notre Dame's president that giving Obama an honorary degree violates the U.S. bishops' 2004 statement that Roman Catholic institutions shouldn't honor people whose actions conflict with the church's moral principles.

Glendon says she's concerned Notre Dame's example could have a ripple effect.

Dozens of bishops have criticized the Obama invitation because of his support for abortion rights and embryonic stem-cell research.

The Laetare Medal is considered the most prestigious honor for American Catholics.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04/27/ex-vatican-ambassador-declines-medal-notre-dame-commencement-citing-obama/

by on Apr. 27, 2009 at 5:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
blondekosmic15
by on Apr. 27, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Glendon declines to accept Notre Dame's prestigious Laetare Medal

Tuesday 28 April 2009

WASHINGTON (CNS) - Citing concerns about plans to honour President Barack Obama despite his views on "fundamental principles of justice" that are contrary to Catholic teaching, former U.S. Ambassador to the Vatican Mary Ann Glendon has turned down the prestigious Laetare Medal from the University of Notre Dame.

In an April 27 letter to Holy Cross Father John I. Jenkins, Notre Dame's president, Glendon said she will not participate in May 17 commencement exercises during which the award was to have been presented.

The letter, posted on the blog of the magazine First Things, does not mention specific justice principles, but Glendon was critical of Notre Dame's decision to give Obama an honorary degree.

Obama supports legal abortion and his administration recently proposed new regulations that would allow the use of federal funds for embryonic stem-cell research. Both are in direct conflict with fundamental church teaching.

The Laetare Medal is presented annually to an American Catholic layperson for outstanding service to the Catholic Church and society.

A spokeswoman for the Indiana university confirmed April 27 that Glendon, who served as ambassador from 2007 until earlier this year, was the first person to accept and then later decline the award.

Father Jenkins offered a two-sentence response on the university's Web site.

"We are, of course, disappointed, that Professor Glendon has made this decision," his statement said. "It is our intention to award the Laetare Medal to another deserving recipient, and we will make the announcement as soon as possible."

Glendon, professor of law at Harvard Law School, wrote that the Notre Dame's decision to honor the president disregards a 2004 request from the U.S. bishops to Catholic institutions and organizations asking them "not to honor those who act in defiance of our fundamental moral principles."

The former ambassador said she felt the bishops' request is "reasonable" and does not seek to "control or interfere with an institution's freedom to invite speakers and engage in serious debate with whomever it wishes." As a result, she wrote, "I am at a loss to understand why a Catholic university should disrespect it."

Glendon said she was also concerned that the university had issued "talking points" that implied that her acceptance speech for the award would "somehow balance the event."

She quoted two statements from the university:

• "President Obama won't be doing all the talking. Mary Ann Glendon, the former U.S. ambassador to the Vatican, will be speaking as the recipient of the Laetare Medal."

• "We think having the president come to Notre Dame, see our graduates, meet our leaders and hear a talk from Mary Ann Glendon is a good thing for the president and for the causes we care about."

Glendon wrote that a commencement is supposed to be a joyous day for the graduates and their families.

"It is not the right place, nor is a brief acceptance speech the right vehicle, for engagement with the very serious problems raised by Notre Dame's decision -- in disregard of the settled position of the U.S. bishops -- to honor a prominent and uncompromising opponent of the church's position on issues involving fundamental principles of justice," the letter said.

In light of reports that other Catholic institutions also are choosing to disregard the bishops' request, Glendon expressed concern that Notre Dame's example "could have an unfortunate ripple effect."

Glendon concluded her letter by saying that she would release it to the media without making any other comment "at this time."

The university has been under nearly constant criticism since announcing March 20 that Obama would speak at the commencement. Bishops, clergy, alumni and conservative Catholic organizations have mounted a campaign seeking to have the university revoke the invitation to the president. However, students have been reported to be enthusiastic about and supportive of the president's upcoming appearance on campus.

The Laetare Medal has been awarded by the university since 1883 and is the university's oldest and most prestigious award for lay Catholics. Past recipients include President John F. Kennedy; Sen. Daniel P. Moynihan; death penalty abolitionist Sister Helen Prejean, a member of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Medaille; and Dorothy Day, co-founder of the Catholic Worker Movement. Last year's recipient was actor and political activist Martin Sheen.

http://www.nzcatholic.org.nz/viewDocument.aspx?DocumentID=1746

tericared
by on Apr. 27, 2009 at 6:58 PM

SWEET NIBLETS

Palestinian People are defending themselves and their Land and their Homes against Israeli war crimes and Israeli war criminals, both military and civilian.

sweetie00
by on Apr. 27, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Wow, how tolerant of her....~snicker~

Don't waste your time quoting me, blonde........

rella8672
by on Apr. 27, 2009 at 7:39 PM

While I may not agree with her politics,I do have a great respect for her for standing up for her beliefs and convictions.

Scorpio359
by on Apr. 27, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Good for her. We need more people to not cave in to the politically correct crowd.

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Apr. 27, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Quoting blondekosmic15:

The Laetare Medal has been awarded by the university since 1883 and is the university's oldest and most prestigious award for lay Catholics. Past recipients include President John F. Kennedy; Sen. Daniel P. Moynihan; death penalty abolitionist Sister Helen Prejean, a member of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Medaille; and Dorothy Day, co-founder of the Catholic Worker Movement. Last year's recipient was actor and political activist Martin Sheen.

Perhaps the clearest indications of Sheen’s position on abortion can be found in an interview with the Progressive Magazine; it can be found in the July 2003 issue. Here is Sheen's response to a question on abortion.

Q: What are your views on abortion?

Sheen: I cannot make a choice for a women, particularly a black or brown or poor pregnant woman. I would not make a judgment in the case. As a father and a grandfather, I have had experience with children who don't always come when they are planned, and I have experienced the great joy of God's presence in my children, so I'm inclined to be against abortion of any life. But I am equally against the death penalty or war-- anywhere people are sacrificed for some end justifying a means. I don't think abortion is a good idea. I personally am opposed to abortion, but I will not judge anybody else's right in that regard because I am not a woman and I could never face the actual reality of it.

Perhaps Sheen needs to read the Lincoln Douglas debates from more than a century and a half ago. Abraham Lincoln, responding to Stephen Douglas on the topic of slavery said "..he cannot say that people have a right to do wrong." Would Sheen take the same position on slavery that he does on abortion today? Would he say, well I am personally opposed to slavery, but... I am not a slave owner and I don't have the right to impose by beliefs on him? Somehow I doubt it."

http://www.pewsitter.com/view_news_id_6744.php

I'm just sayin'...

Sherri

"Knowledge of syphilis is not instruction to get it." -- Lenny Bruce

"Tact is a way of getting your point across without making an enemy." -- Unknown

"PurdueMom - She's bringing 'sexy' back." -- Justin Timberlake

blondekosmic15
by on Apr. 27, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Quoting PurdueMom:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Perhaps the clearest indications of Sheen’s position on abortion can be found in an interview with the Progressive Magazine; it can be found in the July 2003 issue. Here is Sheen's response to a question on abortion.

Q: What are your views on abortion?

Sheen: I cannot make a choice for a women, particularly a black or brown or poor pregnant woman. I would not make a judgment in the case. As a father and a grandfather, I have had experience with children who don't always come when they are planned, and I have experienced the great joy of God's presence in my children, so I'm inclined to be against abortion of any life. But I am equally against the death penalty or war-- anywhere people are sacrificed for some end justifying a means. I don't think abortion is a good idea. I personally am opposed to abortion, but I will not judge anybody else's right in that regard because I am not a woman and I could never face the actual reality of it.

Perhaps Sheen needs to read the Lincoln Douglas debates from more than a century and a half ago. Abraham Lincoln, responding to Stephen Douglas on the topic of slavery said "..he cannot say that people have a right to do wrong." Would Sheen take the same position on slavery that he does on abortion today? Would he say, well I am personally opposed to slavery, but... I am not a slave owner and I don't have the right to impose by beliefs on him? Somehow I doubt it."

http://www.pewsitter.com/view_news_id_6744.php

I'm just sayin'...

This is the very argument I have used several times in reference to pro-choice Americans....they are hypocritical & they apply this reasoning believing that when they vote for the most pro-abortion man to ever be elected to the Presidency in the history of this Nation for the purpose of escaping any responsibility to the abortion issue. Trouble w/ that is their reasoning is paper thin & ridiculous...full of hot air!    2+2=4

Sherri

So what are you implying here? I do not respect Martin Sheen due to his wishy wash response concerning abortion. He's a Catholic who talks out of both sides of his mouth. Rev. 3:16  I have been aware of his so called pro-choice { not a valid term } stance since the 1980's. Notre Dame may give the medal to anyone they choose...their weak judgment in opposition to the CC has been well known for several yrs. now. I am thankful Ms. Glendon has embraced her moral beliefs in union w/ the Church's teachings w/ out surrendering to the MSM & the lib. community in this Country. Bravo for her...she espouses strength of character!

blondekosmic15
by on Apr. 27, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Quoting rella8672:

While I may not agree with her politics,I do have a great respect for her for standing up for her beliefs and convictions.

Thank you for your honesty....

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Apr. 27, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Quoting blondekosmic15:

This is the very argument I have used several times in reference to pro-choice Americans....they are hypocritical & they apply this reasoning believing that when they vote for the most pro-abortion man to ever be elected to the Presidency in the history of this Nation for the purpose of escaping any responsibility to the abortion issue. Trouble w/ that is their reasoning is paper thin & ridiculous...full of hot air!    2+2=4

This makes absolutely no sense to me at all.  Sorry.

Quote:

So what are you implying here?

Not implying anything.  I just googled Martin Sheen since I was surprised to see his name.  I had no idea he was even Catholic, and I was curious as to his stance on abortion so I posted it..

I'm not Catholic nor even a believer, for that matter, so this all seems a bit ostentatious to me.   All graduates who are Catholic should refuse their diplomas from Notre Dame this year.  Hopefully, they then can all find jobs that appreciate their 'strength of character'.

Sherri

"Knowledge of syphilis is not instruction to get it." -- Lenny Bruce

"Tact is a way of getting your point across without making an enemy." -- Unknown

"PurdueMom - She's bringing 'sexy' back." -- Justin Timberlake

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN