Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

would you consider a "manny" (male nanny) for your children?

Posted by on May. 5, 2009 at 1:19 AM
  • 37 Replies

i recently started a company for caregivers and we have recruted many nannys and a few "mannys" i was wondering would you consder letting a man watch your children? just your boys? or your little girls too? why or why not?........ alot of parents responses are i would never hire a nanny i take care of my own kids! i guess nanny is to strong of a word lets use babysitter or caregiver instead beacause every parent needs one of them even if its just every once in a while!!!

by on May. 5, 2009 at 1:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lvnmylif
by on May. 5, 2009 at 1:23 AM

Nope I would never even consider it and neither would DH.  Due to our own personall experiences no male other than DH will be caring for our children. 

evythecute
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2009 at 1:41 AM

No i would never have a manny or a nanny for that matter. I don't let anyone who isn't very close to me watch my DD. there are only a very few trusted close friends and family members i have ever left my DD alone with. If I HAD to have someone watch her on a regular basis, it would I would pay my mom or SIL to do it. But id rather raise my own kid.

lbranta
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2009 at 1:44 AM

If I was ever going to consider a nanny I would also consider a manny.  I would not consider a nanny or a manny tho.

hsteele
by on May. 5, 2009 at 3:25 AM

Probably not. Men, besides my husband and dad make me very uncomfortable. I think it comes from watching too much Lifetime Television when I was younger. Know what I mean. I wouldn;t hire a Nanny either though. I don't trust anyone but close family and friends to watch my children. Especially now, when you here about women with children raping and murdering. its just too scary. I am not usually paranoid, and pretty open except for when it comes to my daughter.

Heather
Proud Pagan Momma

"And When the Night is Cloudy
There is still a light that shines on me
Speaking words of Wisdom, Let it be."
~Lennon, McCartney

Junebug926
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2009 at 7:55 AM

Absolutely! I've met some guys that are absolutely AMAZING with kids and we be VERY happy to have them take care of my kids. It totally depends on the person to me, not their sex, age, race, religion, etc.

athenax3
by on May. 5, 2009 at 7:57 AM

I hate to say it, but probalby not. And even were I to consider a manny, I can tell you right now dh would shoot it down immediately- especially since we have all dd's. Maybe it would be different if we had boys.

ain-gell72
by on May. 5, 2009 at 7:59 AM

if my boys were little enough to have a nanny, yeah, it would cool with me, as long as their background check and references were clear to go, and if they were hot, A PLUS!  lmao!

Jovaiel
by Member on May. 5, 2009 at 8:09 AM

A little while ago I had a male friend who loved kids, was GREAT with them, and really wanted to work as a "nanny." He was turned down everywhere he tried. I thought it very weird and sad since he would have been excellent and fun and the kids would have loved him.

Now, as a parent, I understand. It is scary enough leaving your kids with someone you don't know VERY well - especially someone hired who has no real reason to care about your kids. The fact is that, although most men are surely trustworthy, good men, there are more potential child-molesters among men than among women. It's just too difficult to tell the many decent, good men from the few nuts. I'm not going to take any chance at all with my kids. As difficult as it would be to hire a female nanny, I'm not going to even consider a male one.

"One of the prerequisites of peaceful coexistence of beliefs in a secular society is freedom of speech--particularly the freedom to question, to dissent, even to ridicule." -- Robert Spencer

Annoyance Disclaimer Clause:  By reading this post you agree that you are not annoyed by me or my post. You agree to skip my post if you suspect annoyance will be reached. In the event that you misjudge your annoyability, you agree to indemnify me and all of my aliases from any culpability (whether real or perceived, intentional or accidental) and waive your right to any damages – punitive or otherwise. This disclaimer is binding, whether or not it annoys you.

momaof8
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2009 at 8:16 AM

I had a close friend babysit my daughters when they were little and he was awesome. He was the best sitter we ever had so yes, under the right circumstances I would use a male sitter.

rotPferd
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2009 at 9:59 AM

When we were stationed in the Phillipines, we had a "house boy" who lived with us. He also worked nights as a security guard and did some cleaning and cooking around the house. While I was pregnant, he acted more like an expectant father than my DH did and was super when my DD was born. So yes I would consider a "manny" even tho my kids are 12 and up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN