Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Terrorists

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 4:16 PM
  • 26 Replies

Why is it everyone is so bent on things or people coming from the Middle East having something to do with terrorism?

It seems to me you only need to look in this country to find terrorists, and you deal with that everyday without fear. So, why do Middle Easterners cause such fear in so many?

by on May. 8, 2009 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sassyandy124
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2009 at 4:48 PM

If you are referring to my thread, there are concrete reasons that go far beyond just their religion, that require the careful watching of those people. Are all middle eastern people terrorists? Of course not. However historically many of their 'factions'  hold a hatred of the 'west'. Our ideals, our religions, and our rights. They have proven themselves to be more than willing to act on that hatred. It's not as though terrorists from the middle east have just cropped up over night after 9/11. They have been around for decades, and have taken their hatred out on Americans for decades. When I see one describing its self as a paramilitary camp, 5 mi from a nuclear facility, when I see their leader telling people that if they want to join to come to SC, you bet I'm going to be worried.

Those who can't get behind our troops should feel free to stand in front of them!!!!!

Della529
by on May. 8, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Propaganda, both false and incorporated lie's by omission.  Not to mention, most aren't willing to question their media genre' of choice.

I can only offer this;  Question everything you read and most of what you see.

tericared
by on May. 8, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Great question OP.....Fear in the unknown and not being educated on some ones religion, or their way of life causes some to fear a group of people. There are idiots in all races and religions and to lump all people from the Middle East as American hating killers is ignorant.

Palestinian People are defending themselves and their Land and their Homes against Israeli war crimes and Israeli war criminals, both military and civilian.

sweetie00
by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Quoting Della529:

Propaganda, both false and incorporated lie's by omission.  Not to mention, most aren't willing to question their media genre' of choice.

I can only offer this;  Question everything you read and most of what you see.

what she said....FEAR of the unknown. Unwillingness to `get to know` the unknown......blind acceptance of what the media tells us.

Della529
by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Quoting sassyandy124:

If you are referring to my thread, there are concrete reasons that go far beyond just their religion, that require the careful watching of those people. Are all middle eastern people terrorists? Of course not. However historically many of their 'factions'  hold a hatred of the 'west'. Our ideals, our religions, and our rights. They have proven themselves to be more than willing to act on that hatred. It's not as though terrorists from the middle east have just cropped up over night after 9/11. They have been around for decades, and have taken their hatred out on Americans for decades. When I see one describing its self as a paramilitary camp, 5 mi from a nuclear facility, when I see their leader telling people that if they want to join to come to SC, you bet I'm going to be worried.

Where is the history (fact, not a blogger) to prove this so-called hatred?  And, how long has this hatred existed?  Their hatred of us is due to our arrogance and interference, and it's fairly recent as far as history goes.

My grandparents, and quite a few other family members, came here in the late 1800's, not because they were persecuted over there, not because they came to "terrorize" anyone,  but because they viewed America as, to use an old cliche', The Land of Opportunity. 

stormcris
by Christy on May. 8, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Honestly, this is something I have seen in many threads. I just cannot get my mind around why everyone automatically focuses on people from the middle east. I just think each individual or group should be evaluated and before we go off focusing on this group or that group we need to fix our own.

Quoting sassyandy124:

sooga_booga
by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:10 PM

I have to agree with tericared.........

Being someone that has directly experienced many people's complete lack of knowledge in regards to other people's of the world, other cultures of the world, and other religions other than Christianity........ I truly believe it's due to willful ignorance on the parts of some, and complete lack of education on the parts of others.

My son was attacked after 9/11 for being a "Towel Head".... That's exactly what the attackers said to the police.....  My son was attacked by others out of their own fear, not for anything he had done. The attack happened because these guys were afraid of Middle Easterners and Muslims......... My son (like myself and my hubbers) is neither of those things. But these guys knew so little about people outside of this country that it didn't matter to them. They saw someone who looked different from them and it was enough to justify (to themselves) their actions.

So much of this "fear" that many in this country seem to have of others could be quelled if people would open their minds and actually take the time to learn about other people, other cultures, other religions.. It's easy to fear the unknown.. The unknown is always frightening.

The main problem is.. People have to be willing to open themselves up to learning and understanding.. Many choose not to..............

Therefore.... "Their" terrorist will always be more frightening to many than our own homegrown  terrorist are....................

Quoting tericared:

Great question OP.....Fear in the unknown and not being educated on some ones religion, or their way of life causes some to fear a group of people. There are idiots in all races and religions and to lump all people from the Middle East as American hating killers is ignorant.

khandalogo.gif SIKH....... image by 00-H-B-K-RULZ-00

sweetie00
by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:15 PM

I had a BF from The middle east. He loved it here! So much freedom, and me, of course, LOL. He loved everything. He did not want to go home. Anytime you single out a certain color, ethnicity, etc, It is not good for anyone. I feel so bad for these ppl that get targeted by ignorant old school Americans.

stormcris
by Christy on May. 8, 2009 at 5:16 PM

That is just sad, and I am sorry that happened to your son...I live in a town that is 18% of what I guess would be the unknown so to speak....I really do not understand what people gain from refusal to learn about other cultures. In my town I see it every day but still do not understand their reasoning.

Quoting sooga_booga:

I have to agree with tericared.........

Being someone that has directly experienced many people's complete lack of knowledge in regards to other people's of the world, other cultures of the world, and other religions other than Christianity........ I truly believe it's due to willful ignorance on the parts of some, and complete lack of education on the parts of others.

My son was attacked after 9/11 for being a "Towel Head".... That's exactly what the attackers said to the police.....  My son was attacked by others out of their own fear, not for anything he had done. The attack happened because these guys were afraid of Middle Easterners and Muslims......... My son (like myself and my hubbers) is neither of those things. But these guys knew so little about people outside of this country that it didn't matter to them. They saw someone who looked different from them and it was enough to justify (to themselves) their actions.

So much of this "fear" that many in this country seem to have of others could be quelled if people would open their minds and actually take the time to learn about other people, other cultures, other religions.. It's easy to fear the unknown.. The unknown is always frightening.

The main problem is.. People have to be willing to open themselves up to learning and understanding.. Many choose not to..............

Therefore.... "Their" terrorist will always be more frightening to many than our own homegrown  terrorist are....................

Quoting tericared:

tericared
by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:21 PM

I was born here as were my parents and theirs before them, all my family are long time Americans. I look Native American some what, and in the small town I live in it is not safe or smart for me to go out in Hijab, head covering....I am as far from a terrorist as cotton candy is to kidney beans, but because people choose to be uneducated on the facts  I have to curb who I am...

Palestinian People are defending themselves and their Land and their Homes against Israeli war crimes and Israeli war criminals, both military and civilian.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)