Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bottom line

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:40 PM
  • 46 Replies

Isn't part of this hate crime bill that vigilanteism is wrong? Does anyone think it's OK to commit a crime against someone who has in some way hurt you?

by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2009 at 6:34 PM

The definition.........

a member of a volunteer committee organized to suppress and punish crime summarily (as when the processes of law are viewed as inadequate) ; broadly : a self-appointed doer of justice

I think we've glorified it through movies, and in general, most people might think it's a nice thing. Neighborhood watch, if you will. When one has done me significant harm, YES, I want someone to do something to them, regardless of when it's within the law or not....I'd hate to have someone walk away into the sunset with a big grin on, just because they had a good lawyer.

But I think you're question is almost speaking as a random act. THAT, of course, wouldn't be real vigilanteism. I think so much crime is done, because the people are so removed from the punishment of it, that punishment doesn't seem a real consequence. If punishments for crimes were a more or a public viewing, more people may be hesitant to do a crime.

anita73
by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:08 PM

You are absolutely right.  There is no excuse for hate crimes against anyone, anytime, anyplace.  Even calling it "vigilantism" gives it a facade of respectability it doesn't deserve.  The original "vigilantes" acted with restraint and represented law and order where things like police, courts, etc. didn't yet exist.  They do exist today, and anyone who takes the law into their own hands and brutalizes someone because they think he or she deserves it, is not a vigilante; they are just a thug and a criminal.

Quoting sweetie00:

Isn't part of this hate crime bill that vigilanteism is wrong? Does anyone think it's OK to commit a crime against someone who has in some way hurt you?

teammom23
by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:16 PM

An eye for an eye. Don't dish out what you can't take. If someone causes harm, they should damn well be prepared to have the same done to them.

Colleen801
by Member on May. 8, 2009 at 8:18 PM

If anyone ever sexually abused my dd I would have no problem mutilating that person.

anita73
by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Courts dispense justice in civilized countries, not aggrieved individuals.

Quoting teammom23:

An eye for an eye. Don't dish out what you can't take. If someone causes harm, they should damn well be prepared to have the same done to them.

anita73
by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:21 PM

That's probably a very common reaction.  And it's exactly why we need laws restaining people from their worst reactive instincts.

Quoting Colleen801:

If anyone ever sexually abused my dd I would have no problem mutilating that person.

Goodwoman614
by Satan on May. 8, 2009 at 9:53 PM

Quoting anita73:

That's probably a very common reaction.  And it's exactly why we need laws restaining people from their worst reactive instincts.

Quoting Colleen801:

Someone did sexually abuse my dd, actually.  But she did not disclose until she was 6; it happened several times over many months, when she was 3.

Who did this?  The then 12 or 13 y.o. son of a family friend. 

I have laid awake many nights, with visions of cracking his skull with a baseball bat...

But what would that accomplish?  What would that do to me?  Regardless if I got caught or punished for doing so...

No, in the end, we live in a civilized society, and we choose to abide by the law.  If I went "batty' on the little shit, I would be losing: losing control, becoming a law breaker just like him-somebody who does violence. 

Sometimes...more often than you would like to think...evil people will go unpunished.  But I have taught my dd that in the end, we tell--turn it over to the law-- for ourselves. 

teammom23
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:57 PM

I can't help but believe that the crime rate would decrease dramatically if we stopped coddling criminals.

Quoting anita73:

Courts dispense justice in civilized countries, not aggrieved individuals.

Quoting teammom23:

anita73
by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:32 PM

I would seriously doubt the memory of a 6 year old as to what happened at age 3.

When my older son was about 5 he came up with some incriminating statements about a family friend, which we knew, because of the timeline and other details, had to be false.

That being said, you are right on two counts: it is wrong both legally and morally to avenge yourself or your child on someone.  I don't know exactly what he may have done to your daughter, whether it was just fondling or something worse, but I do know that two wrongs never make a right.  Never, ever.

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Someone did sexually abuse my dd, actually.  But she did not disclose until she was 6; it happened several times over many months, when she was 3.

Who did this?  The then 12 or 13 y.o. son of a family friend. 

I have laid awake many nights, with visions of cracking his skull with a baseball bat...

But what would that accomplish?  What would that do to me?  Regardless if I got caught or punished for doing so...

No, in the end, we live in a civilized society, and we choose to abide by the law.  If I went "batty' on the little shit, I would be losing: losing control, becoming a law breaker just like him-somebody who does violence. 

Sometimes...more often than you would like to think...evil people will go unpunished.  But I have taught my dd that in the end, we tell--turn it over to the law-- for ourselves. 

anita73
by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:34 PM

I don't know what you mean by coddling criminals, but we don't in the United States.  We have the world's highest incarceration rate, by far, and our prisons are usually hellholes. The "coddling" myth is a perennial right-wing talking point, but there is no truth behind it.

Quoting teammom23:

I can't help but believe that the crime rate would decrease dramatically if we stopped coddling criminals.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)