Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Infant dies after foster mom tapes pacifier to his mouth

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:34 PM
  • 36 Replies

Associated Press: Authorities say the foster mother of a 9-month-old boy who died when she taped a pacifier to his mouth faces charges.

passsoff270.jpg

Getty Images

Investigators say neonatal nurse Angela Dukes was in her first day caring for the boy on Feb. 8. They say she tried to quiet him but the taped pacifier blocked his breathing and he died that day.

State Law Enforcement Division spokeswoman Jennifer Timmons says the 30-year-old Dukes of Columbia was charged Wednesday with felony unlawful conduct toward a child.

Officials say Dukes is in the Richland County jail awaiting a bond hearing. It wasn't immediately clear if she had an attorney.

A woman identifying herself as Dukes' mother said she didn't want to talk about the arrest.

Your reaction?

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
behappilyever
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2009 at 11:37 PM

that is gut wrenchingly heartbreaking.

"Making the decision to have a child- it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body."

blondekosmic15
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2009 at 11:39 PM

This is truly sad.....a precious lil' baby completely depends upon those who care for this child. They are so vulnerable. I am not aware concerning any legality in reference to this act but it certainly is a case of incompetence & selfishness. She seems to be very insensitive to the lil' baby she was caring for~

jcp270
by Member on May. 8, 2009 at 11:41 PM

OMG!  As a foster parent this is just so wrong.  On so many levels!  Especially on the first day!  Wow...  Ok now that I have that out, what the hell was DHS doing?  People have to go to so many trainings and have so much support to be a foster parent.  I know when we were going to the classes it amazed me some of the things that they tell you and expect you to know.  But it is because of people like this.  She should have never passed any of the checks that are in place, I bet anything corners were cut to get her licensed.  That is so incredibly sad! 

tericared
by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:53 PM

Investigators say neonatal nurse Angela Dukes was in her first day caring for the boy. 

Sweet Niblets she is a neonatal nurse,,,why in the hell would she do such a thing?

Palestinian People are defending themselves and their Land and their Homes against Israeli war crimes and Israeli war criminals, both military and civilian.

Momof3cuties
by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:57 PM

A neonatal nurse did this?  Unbelievable...unbelievable that anyone would do such a thing...but a trained professional!!!  Ugh!  I am just disgusted. 

Aestas
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2009 at 11:57 PM

I can't believe this woman is a neonatal nurse!  She should have her license revoked.  EVERY package of pacifiers I've ever seen warns you not to fix them in any way to the baby's mouth.

Aestas
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2009 at 12:00 AM

I just re-read this and realized the baby was nine months old.  That makes it even worse, because he was old enough to put the thing in his mouth if he wanted it there.  It sounds like she was just trying to shut him up...what she did seems akin to shaking a baby.  Inhumane and wrong.  I hope they charge her.

lbranta
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2009 at 12:09 AM

I would like to smother her!

rlemde
by on May. 9, 2009 at 12:17 AM

Why is the charge so low? That's bogus. Makes me almost cry... 

cowgirlsr2
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2009 at 12:18 AM

I pray she gets the fulliest sentence possible and I hope the poor baby did not suffer long.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)