Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Have a certain "GROUP" of wealthy been corrupting our community?

Posted by   + Show Post
The Jerusalem Post Internet Edition

Rancid materialism is corrupting our community

Dec. 15, 2008
Shmuley Boteach , THE JERUSALEM POST

The Jewish community better get serious about the cancer that's growing inside it. The devastation on Wall Street carries a lot of Jewish names, from firms like Bear Stearns and Lehman Brothers to individuals such as Bernard Madoff, whose $50 billion Ponzi scheme collapsed over the weekend, and lawyer Marc Dreier, arrested last week for defrauding investors of hundreds of millions of dollars.

On the Internet more and more people who don't like us are beginning to connect the dots, pointing out that there are an awful lot of Jews who bear responsibility for Wall Street's fall. But that's not what bothers me. Anti-Semites will always find something to hate us for, and I'm way too busy to worry about what a bunch of bigots think anyway.

Rather, what worries me is this: what if some if it is true? What if our community has become too obsessed with money? What if our values have become about wearing the most expensive Cartier watch and driving a suped-up Mercedes? What if a disproportionately large number of young Jews are running to work on Wall Street and never even considering jobs like teaching, the rabbinate, or doing outreach because the compensation, comparatively, stinks?

FOR TOO long the Jewish community has excused all manner of material excess so long as those who sported giant jewels and enormous gold watches also gave lots of tzedaka (charity). It is true that Judaism has always said that riches are a blessing because they enable one's resources to be used for the benefit of others. We reject the New Testament statement that the rich will find it harder to get into heaven than a camel passing through the eye of a needle. But tzedaka is not the only Jewish value. So is modesty, humility, and baal tashchis - a commandment not to indulge in excess and waste. Indeed, the only personal characteristic in the Bible about Moses, the greatest Jew who ever lived, was that "he was the most humble man who walked the earth."

And yet the materialism in our community has become rancid. I was sitting with a group of rich Jewish businessmen the other day who were talking about a friend's son's bar mitzva in which an NBA superstar made a guest appearance for which he was paid an insane amount. Indeed, bar and bas mitzvas have become for many a game of million-dollar one-upmanship. Now, what kind of values are being communicated to these young people on the occasion of becoming responsible members of our community? That life is about showing off? Do we want our kids ending up as the insecure social climbers who joined the exclusive Jewish country clubs where word went out that being part of Bernard Madoff's investment fund was a privilege reserved for a chosen few and that they better beg to be admitted?

I SEE a lot of Jewish people walking around these days with a red string on their wrists. Popularized by the Kabbalah Center, it's supposed to ward off the eiyan ha'ra, the evil eye. The original Jewish concept of the evil eye was based on the idea of not flaunting wealth so as not to incur the jealousy of those less fortunate. It was based on the beautiful Jewish value of human dignity, of not making people less successful feel bad about themselves. What was once a message of humility and simplicity has now been transformed into one in which it is permitted to sport a ten-carat diamond so long as it is accompanied by a silly piece of string.

And the coarsening of our values isn't only about money. I attended a modern orthodox bas mitzvah not long ago where the boys and girls, all of 12 and 13, began to 'grind' their genitalia against one another on the dance floor. The parents watched from the sidelines. One father was appalled and wanted to complain to the Jewish day school that allowed it, but was discouraged from doing so because of the social censure his son might face.

And where are the rabbis through all this? Why aren't they preaching the time-honored Torah values of modesty, humility, and sincerity? Tragically, many of us rabbis are either afraid to speak out or have been bought off. We're don't want to incur the wrath of our congregants and boards by criticizing these corrupt values, or we've been bought off by wealthy donors who support our organizations and who will turn off the spigot if we dare decry their excess. In orthodoxy, the problem is often an emphasis on meticulous adherence to rituals without a concomitant commitment to the values these rituals are meant to inspire. In more secular circles the problem is often a lack of emphasis on either.

FOR YEARS now I have been passionately arguing the need for the Jewish community to serve as a light unto the nations by promulgating our values to the non-Jewish world. We ought to be known primarily not for the billions of Wall Street but for the warmth of the family dinner table. It was for this reason that I launched 'This World: The Jewish Values Network" with its first national program being a campaign to have all American families "Turn Friday Night Into Family Night." Non-Jewish families from all over America have begun to commit to Friday dinners at our website, FridayIsFamily.com. But just as they are doing so, I heard that our local JCC, an outstanding facility which I use all the time with my kids, is considering opening on Shabbos. Come on. Our community is supposed to stand for something, like the idea of sacred time. There is one day a week devoted to family and community rather than swimming and soccer. One day a week when Mom gets to be a wife rather than a chauffeur, and Dad gets to be a father rather than a coach.

Let me confess that I am just as materialistic as the people I criticize even as I lack the resources to indulge their more expensive tastes. But when I forget that Judaism demands the heart over the wallet, I feel ashamed of having lost my way. Perhaps it's how we all ought to feel as this economic meltdown exposes the betrayal of the very values that have ensured the spiritual integrity of our community for millennia.

Rabbi Boteach's newest book The Kosher Sutra: Eight Sacred Secrets to Reigniting Desire and Restoring Passion for Life will be published next month by HarperOne. His website is Shmuley.com

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1228728209076&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FPrinter

by on May. 11, 2009 at 10:50 PM
Replies (11-19):
rotPferd
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Greed knows no color, race, gender, or political preference. We are all guilty of it in some form or another.

Eilish
by on May. 14, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting Eilish:

Quoting Della529:

Anyone want to address their involvement in the economic collapse and taxpayer funded bailouts?

Quote:

The devastation on Wall Street carries a lot of Jewish names, from firms like Bear Stearns and Lehman Brothers to individuals such as Bernard Madoff, whose $50 billion Ponzi scheme collapsed over the weekend, and lawyer Marc Dreier, arrested last week for defrauding investors of hundreds of millions of dollars.

On the Internet more and more people who don't like us are beginning to connect the dots, pointing out that there are an awful lot of Jews who bear responsibility for Wall Street's fall.

I would, but then I'd be called a "conspiracy nut." The problem is that your target audience doesn't want to hear to it.There stuck on the idea that Jews can do now wrong, and if they even speak about this contraversy, that they will be damned to hell for all eternity .....

Aside from that, the article was an interesting read. Thank you ;-)

A lil' honesty here Eilish.....no segment of a population is as pure as the driven white snow but some of you are readily waving the other flag...always condemning the Jews for pretty much everything & singling the Jewish ppl. out as the bad guys continuously! If you read the Scriptures that attitude is warned about thru out the Bible. It certainly is in the forefront now.... is'nt it?

I am not waving any flag ... I have merely stated that the so-called Jews who are the center of this contraversy are not true Torah-believing Jews.  Which means that I am not actually critcizng ANY Jews. There are a plethora of Jews who speak out against the hypocrtical actions of these so-called "Jewish" bankers. Perhaps you don't even realize that in supporting the non-Torah believing Jews (a.k.a Zionists) that you are speaking out against non-Zionist, Torah-believing Jews. You don't even realize that the very thing you are warning others about is what you yourself are doing. You would do yourself a service to learn the difference between a Torah-beliving Jew (the ones we are supposed to support) and the non-Torah believing "Jews" who are in control of the banking systems.

You should do everything the Bible says, but you have been fooled into supporting the wrong group.

And before you go and attack me again for not being a "true" Christian .... I suggest you also research the Christian churches who are opposed to these so-called "Jews."

Here's a starting point:

Throughout history Christians have at times twisted scripture  to justify violence: for the Crusades, for Anti-Semitism, and for slavery. One  example is Thorten Stringfellow's treatise on slavery. Too often the church has been slow to respond to these biblical distortions with disastrous results.  

Today Christian Zionists - particularly those with dispensationalist leanings -  are at it again.  Although their  motives are couched in terms of compassion toward the Jewish people based on a literal reading of scripture the political agenda of territorial expansion advocated by Christian Zionists has given rise to injustice against Palestinians and added fuel to the fire of conflict in the Middle East.  For some time, individuals, and theologians have spoken out against Christian Zionism. In the past few years, whole church bodies are adding their official voices to the distortions and injustices perpetuated by Christian Zionism.  

Denomination Date Body Title, quote, and link to resolution or postion
Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod April 2004 Commission on Theology and Church Relations A Lutheran Response to the "Left Behind Series"
"The clear witness of the New Testament is that the person of Jesus Christ is the interpretive key to the Old Testament, and indeed to all of Scripture." MORE…
Presbyterian Church USA July 2004 General Assembly (national) On Confronting Christian Zionism
"Christian Zionism promotes a theology that justifies grievous violations of basic rights of people who are also made in the image of God, and is contrary to the gospel of Jesus Christ." MORE…
Reformed Church in America June 2004 Annual Synod (national) Christian Zionism: A Historical Analysis and Critique
"Jesus, picking up seminal themes from the Hebrew scriptures, preached and lived a message of reconciliation… " MORE…
United Church of Christ July 2003 General Synod (national) An Alternative Voice to Christian Zionism
"We believe that the tenets of Christian Zionism neither reflect the intention of the teachings of Jesus and the prophets, nor promote peace in the Middle East, and respectfully recommend …and alternative voice to this theology." MORE…
Mennonite Church USA July 2005 MCC Peace Office Newsletter Christian Zionism and Peace in the Holy Land
"A widespread but erroneous belief is that Christian Zionists…read Daniel and Revelation literally. They do not. No Christian Zionist applies a consistently literal interpretation to Revelation. No one has suggested that Jesus was really a lamb." MORE…
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America June 2005 Chicago Metropolitan Synod Resolution to Encourage the Study of Christian Zionism
"…the movement of Christian Zionism based on these biblical interpretations seeks to influence U.S. policy toward Israel in a manner that would arguably facilitate mistreatment of Palestinians, continued occupation of the land, opposition to a two-state solution, and exclusive Israeli control of Jerusalem…"MORE…
United Methodist Church June 2005 IL Conference On Unwrapping the Rapture
"…every …household should give prayerful consideration as to how God will actually judge us for our silence about and complicity in the crushing of the Palestinian people…" MORE…
Episcopal Church November 2004 Diocese of Chicago Confronting Christian Zionism
"A partial response to Christian Zionism would be to say that we read Scripture in light of [Jesus'] two great commandments - to love God and our neighbor." MORE…

Please Click on the Pics to follow the links!

sweetie00
by on May. 14, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Quoting Eilish:

Quoting Della529:

Anyone want to address their involvement in the economic collapse and taxpayer funded bailouts?

Quote:

The devastation on Wall Street carries a lot of Jewish names, from firms like Bear Stearns and Lehman Brothers to individuals such as Bernard Madoff, whose $50 billion Ponzi scheme collapsed over the weekend, and lawyer Marc Dreier, arrested last week for defrauding investors of hundreds of millions of dollars.

On the Internet more and more people who don't like us are beginning to connect the dots, pointing out that there are an awful lot of Jews who bear responsibility for Wall Street's fall.

I would, but then I'd be called a "conspiracy nut." The problem is that your target audience doesn't want to hear to it. There stuck on the idea that Jews can do now wrong, and if they even speak about this contraversy, that they will be damned to hell for all eternity .....

Aside from that, the article was an interesting read. Thank you ;-)

I agree, Eilish

karmalove
by on May. 14, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Quoting rotPferd:

Greed knows no color, race, gender, or political preference. We are all guilty of it in some form or another.

I agree.

WImom2
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Not my point. My point is it is absolutely ridiculous to assume that any one group is responsible for this. Sorry. Clinton wasn't Jewish, neither was Bush, neither is Obama. I think this economic crisis covers all. With mentality such as yours what is it you would like to do? Lock up all Jewish? You know this is the SAME mentality that lead to locking up the Japanese. I mean hey they bombed us, so they must all be bad. What about after 9/11? Same mentality. They attacked us so they all must be bad. Not true. It is shamefulto even attempt to pull such generalizations. I know while we are at it. These men are not just Jewish they are also MEN, ugh I just knew it. ALL men must be greedy sob's who are out to take over the world.

Quoting Eilish:

Quoting WImom2:

Wow. Ok so that was so wrong. What about the car companies, Fannie Mae, Freddy Mac, on and on and on. What about the consumers with $20,000 + in cc debt, or the guy buying a house he can't afford? Where they all Jewish- NO. How dare someone point fingers and blame one group for anything. I am sorry but just because a few Jewish people are involved doesn't mean they were the downfall. It means NOTHING.

You really need to study up on WHO owns these Banking cartels ... the vast majority do have Jewish ties .... though the flip side to this argument is that "Jews" are not true Torah-believing, 12 Tribe, Children of God kind of Jews. They are (supposedly) imposter "Jews" who are misleading the world in a variety of ways. Hmmm .... imposter Jew .... where have I heard this before .... oh yes! the Anti-Christ is an imposter Jew.

Eilish
by on May. 14, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Ugh! Both Clinton and Bush were pawns! And as I stated, those who claim to be "Jewish" who are in charge of these banks, are not Torah-believing Jews - which means that they aren't the religious Jews of Bible. These people have no belief in God, or that the Torah is God's word, or that God's Laws should be followed. Should we "lock them up?" If they are convicted of a crime under due process. But I don't think we should start profiling all Jews just because of a few bad apples. I never said that! I am against profiling period.

Quoting WImom2:

Not my point. My point is it is absolutely ridiculous to assume that any one group is responsible for this. Sorry. Clinton wasn't Jewish, neither was Bush, neither is Obama. I think this economic crisis covers all. With mentality such as yours what is it you would like to do? Lock up all Jewish? You know this is the SAME mentality that lead to locking up the Japanese. I mean hey they bombed us, so they must all be bad. What about after 9/11? Same mentality. They attacked us so they all must be bad. Not true. It is shamefulto even attempt to pull such generalizations. I know while we are at it. These men are not just Jewish they are also MEN, ugh I just knew it. ALL men must be greedy sob's who are out to take over the world.

Quoting Eilish:

Quoting WImom2:

Wow. Ok so that was so wrong. What about the car companies, Fannie Mae, Freddy Mac, on and on and on. What about the consumers with $20,000 + in cc debt, or the guy buying a house he can't afford? Where they all Jewish- NO. How dare someone point fingers and blame one group for anything. I am sorry but just because a few Jewish people are involved doesn't mean they were the downfall. It means NOTHING.

You really need to study up on WHO owns these Banking cartels ... the vast majority do have Jewish ties .... though the flip side to this argument is that "Jews" are not true Torah-believing, 12 Tribe, Children of God kind of Jews. They are (supposedly) imposter "Jews" who are misleading the world in a variety of ways. Hmmm .... imposter Jew .... where have I heard this before .... oh yes! the Anti-Christ is an imposter Jew.

Please Click on the Pics to follow the links!

SunandMoonMom
by Member on May. 14, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Della, thank you for sharing such a thought-provoking article.  I've always enjoyed hearing what Boteach has to say about many topics.

I believe the excessive, wasteful lifestyle he discusses exists within all religions, races, financial classes.  Youth in our society, in general, seem aboslutely clueless when it comes to personal responsibility, financial management, humility, and moderation.  Mind you, I said "in general".  I often wonder why I hear so little about the "greed" of those in Hollywood or professional athletes, as they make just as much if not more than powerful corporate CEOs and bankers?  It is very disturbing to me, that celebrities in Hollywood and professional athletes hold so much sway over youth in our society.

Materialism is like a new religion, imo.

By the way, I don't believe this article (or any responders to this post) are in any form placing sole blame for our economic crisis on the Jewish community.

Della529
by Matlock on May. 14, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Quoting SunandMoonMom:

Della, thank you for sharing such a thought-provoking article.  I've always enjoyed hearing what Boteach has to say about many topics.

I believe the excessive, wasteful lifestyle he discusses exists within all religions, races, financial classes.  Youth in our society, in general, seem aboslutely clueless when it comes to personal responsibility, financial management, humility, and moderation.  Mind you, I said "in general".  I often wonder why I hear so little about the "greed" of those in Hollywood or professional athletes, as they make just as much if not more than powerful corporate CEOs and bankers?  It is very disturbing to me, that celebrities in Hollywood and professional athletes hold so much sway over youth in our society.

Materialism is like a new religion, imo.

By the way, I don't believe this article (or any responders to this post) are in any form placing sole blame for our economic crisis on the Jewish community.

I found him by accident a short while ago and I, too, have been intrigued by some of his topics.  It's not often that I have come across a Rabbi who will write these things openly.

I fully agree that greed extends throughout the human race and that our youth, in general, has become intrinsically obsessed with materialism.  It's like some have lost sight of "real" living and have turned to "things" for pleasure. 

It's interesting to mention Hollywood because the majority of the film and television companies are...take a guess.  The top executives for Disney, MGM, CBS, NBC, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures, just to name a few, are Jewish.  As far as the actors and athletes, to me, they are a part of the problem, and they too have been drawn in by the power of their respective industries.

Della529
by Matlock on May. 14, 2009 at 5:21 PM

No, they aren't Jewish, however, the ties to all three administrations run extremely deep within the Jewish community.  It would do you well to look into the cabinet members under Clinton, Bush and Obama.

Here are a few who were involved in the Bush Admnistration:

Richard Perle

One of Bush's foreign policy advisors, he is the chairman of the Pentagon's Defense Policy Board. A very likely Israeli government agent, Perle was expelled from Senator Henry Jackson's office in the 1970's after the National Security Agency (NSA) caught him passing Highly-Classified (National Security) documents to the Israeli Embassy. He later worked for the Israeli weapons firm, Soltam. Perle came from one the above mentioned pro-Israel thinktanks, the AEI. Perle is one of the leading pro-Israeli fanatics leading this Iraq war mongering within the administration and now in the media.

Paul Wolfowitz

Deputy Defense Secretary, and member of Perle's Defense Policy Board, in the Pentagon. Wolfowitz is a close associate of Perle, and reportedly has close ties to the Israeli military. His sister lives in Israel. Wolfowitz came from the above mentioned Jewish thinktank, JINSA. Wolfowitz is the number two leader within the administration behind this Iraq war mongering.

Douglas Feith

Under Secretary of Defense and Policy Advisor at the Pentagon. He is a close associate of Perle and served as his Special Counsel. Like Perle and the others, Feith is a pro-Israel extremist, who has advocated anti-Arab policies in the past. He is closely associated with the extremist group, the Zionist Organization of America, which even attacks Jews that don't agree with its extremist views. Feith frequently speaks at ZOA conferences. Feith runs a small law firm, Feith and Zell, which only has one International office, in Israel. The majority of their legal work is representing Israeli interests. His firm's own website stated, prior to his appointment, that Feith "represents Israeli Armaments Manufacturer." Feith basically represents the Israeli War Machine. Feith also came from the Jewish thinktank JINSA. Feith, like Perle and Wolfowitz, are campaigning hard for this Israeli proxy war against Iraq.

Edward Luttwak

Member of the National Security Study Group of the Department of Defence at the Pentagon. Luttwak is reportedly an Israeli citizen and has taught in Israel. He frequently writes for Israeli and pro-Israeli newspapers and journals. Luttwak is an Israeli extremist whose main theme in many of his articles is the necessity of the U.S. waging war against Iraq.

Henry Kissinger

One of many Pentagon Advisors, Kissinger sits on the Pentagon's Defense Policy Board under Perle. For detailed information about Kissinger's evil past, read Seymour Hersch's book (Price of Power: Kissinger in the Nixon White House). Kissinger likely had a part in the Watergate crimes, Southeast Asia mass murders (Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos), Installing Chilean mass murdering dictator Pinochet, Operation Condor's mass killings in South America, and more recently served as Serbia's Ex-Dictator Slobodan Milosevic's Advisor. He consistently advocates going to war against Iraq. Kissinger is the Ariel Sharon of the U.S. Unfortunately, President Bush nominated Kissinger as chairman of the September 11 investigating commission. It's like picking a bank robber to investigate a fraud scandal.

Dov Zakheim

Under Secretary of Defense, Comptroller, and Chief Financial Officer (CFO) for the Department of Defense. He is an ordained rabbi and reportedly holds Israeli citizenship. Zakheim attended attended Jew’s College in London and became an ordained Orthodox Jewish Rabbi in 1973. He was adjunct professor at New York's Jewish Yeshiva University. Zakheim is close to the Israeli lobby.

Kenneth Adelman

One of many Pentagon Advisors, Adelman also sits on the Pentagon's Defense Policy Board under Perle, and is another extremist pro-Israel advisor, who supports going to war against Iraq. Adelman frequently is a guest on Fox News, and often expresses extremist and often ridiculus anti-Arab and anti-Muslim views. Through his hatred or stupidity, he actually called Arabs "anti-Semitic" on Fox News (11/28/2001), when he could have looked it up in the dictionary to find out that Arabs by definition are Semites.

I. Lewis Libby

Vice President Dick Cheney's Chief of Staff. The chief pro-Israel Jewish advisor to Cheney, it helps explains why Cheney is so gun-ho to invade Iraq. Libby is longtime associate of Wolfowitz. Libby was also a lawyer for convicted felon and Israeli spy Marc Rich, whom Clinton pardoned, in his last days as president.

Robert Satloff

U.S. National Security Council Advisor, Satloff was the executive director of the Israeli lobby's "think tank," Washington Institute for Near East Policy. Many of the Israeli lobby's "experts" come from this front group, like Martin Indyk.

Elliott Abrams

National Security Council Advisor. He previously worked at Washington-based "Think Tank" Ethics and Public Policy Center. During the Reagan Adminstration, Abrams was the Assistant Secretary of State, handling, for the most part, Latin American affairs. He played an important role in the Iran-Contra Scandal, which involved illegally selling U.S. weapons to Iran to fight Iraq, and illegally funding the contra rebels fighting to overthrow Nicaragua's Sandinista government. He also actively deceived three congressional committees about his involvement and thereby faced felony charges based on his testimony. Abrams pled guilty in 1991 to two misdemeanors and was sentenced to a year's probation and 100 hours of community service. A year later, former President Bush (Senior) granted Abrams a full pardon. He was one of the more hawkish pro-Israel Jews in the Reagan Administration's State Department.

Marc Grossman

Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs. He was Director General of the Foreign Service and Director of Human Resources at the Department of State. Grossman is one of many of the pro-Israel Jewish officials from the Clinton Administration that Bush has promoted to higher posts.

Richard Haass

Director of Policy Planning at the State Department and Ambassador at large. He is also Director of National Security Programs and Senior Fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR). He was one of the more hawkish pro-Israel Jews in the first Bush (Sr) Administration who sat on the National Security Council, and who consistently advocates going to war against Iraq. Haass is also a member of the Defense Department's National Security Study Group, at the Pentagon.

Robert Zoellick

U.S. Trade Representative, a cabinet-level position. He is also one of the more hawkish pro-Israel Jews in the Bush (Jr) Administration who advocated invading Iraq and occupying a portion of the country in order to set up setting up a Vichy-style puppet government. He consistently advocates going to war against Iraq.

Ari Fleischer

Official White House Spokesman for the Bush (Jr) Administration. Prominent in the Jewish community, some reports state that he holds Israeli citizenship. Fleischer is closely connected to the extremist Jewish group called the Chabad Lubavitch Hasidics, who follow the Qabala, and hold very extremist and insulting views of non-Jews. Fleischer was the co-president of Chabad's Capitol Jewish Forum. He received the Young Leadership Award from the American Friends of Lubavitch in October, 2001.

James Schlesinger

One of many Pentagon Advisors, Schlesinger also sits on the Pentagon's Defense Policy Board under Perle and is another extremist pro-Israel advisor, who supports going to war against Iraq. Schlesinger is also a commissioner of the Defense Department's National Security Study Group, at the Pentagon.

David Frum

White House speechwriter behind the "Axis of Evil" label. He lumps together all the lies and accusations against Iraq for Bush to justify the war.

Joshua Bolten

White House Deputy Chief of Staff, Bolten was previously a banker, former legislative aide, and prominent in the Jewish community.

John Bolton

Under-Secretary of State for Arms Control and International Security. Bolton is also a Senior Advisor to President Bush. Prior to this position, Bolton was Senior Vice President of the above mentioned pro-Israel thinktank, AEI. He recently (October 2002) accused Syria of having a nuclear program, so that they can attack Syria after Iraq. He must have forgotten that Israel has 400 nuclear warheads, some of which are thermonuclear weapons (according to a recent U.S. Air Force report).

David Wurmser

Special Assistant to John Bolton (above), the under-secretary for arms control and international security. Wurmser also worked at the AEI with Perle and Bolton. His wife, Meyrav Wurmser, along with Colonel Yigal Carmon, formerly of Israeli military intelligence, co-founded the Middle East Media Research Institute (Memri),a Washington-based Israeli outfit which distributes articles translated from Arabic newspapers portraying Arabs in a bad light.

Eliot Cohen

Member of the Pentagon's Defense Policy Board under Perle and is another extremist pro-Israel advisor. Like Adelman, he often expresses extremist and often ridiculus anti-Arab and anti-Muslim views. More recently, he wrote an opinion article in the Wall Street Journal openly admitting his rascist hatred of Islam claiming that Islam should be the enemy, not terrorism.

Mel Sembler

President of the Export-Import Bank of the United States. A Prominent Jewish Republican and Former National Finance Chairman of the Republican National Committee. The Export-Import Bank facilitates trade relationships between U.S. businesses and foreign countries, specifically those with financial problems.

Michael Chertoff

Assistant Attorney General for the Criminal Division, at the Justice Department.

Steve Goldsmith

Senior Advisor to the President, and Bush's Jewish domestic policy advisor. He also serves as liaison in the White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives (White House OFBCI) within the Executive Office of the President. He was the former mayor of Indianapolis. He is also friends with Israeli Jerusalem Mayor Ehud Olmert and often visits Israel to coach mayors on privatization initiatives.

Adam Goldman

White House's Special Liaison to the Jewish Community.

Joseph Gildenhorn

Bush Campaign's Special Liaison to the Jewish Community. He was the DC finance chairman for the Bush campaign, as well as campaign coordinator, and former ambassador to Switzerland.

Christopher Gersten

Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary, Administration for Children and Families at HHS. Gersten was the former Executive Director of the Republican Jewish Coalition, Husband of Labor Secretary, Linda Chavez, and reportedly very pro-Israel. Their children are being raised Jewish.

Mark Weinberger

Assistant Secretary of Housing and Urban Development for Public Affairs.

Samuel Bodman

Deputy Secretary of Commerce. He was the Chairman and CEO of Cabot Corporation in Boston, Massachusetts.

Bonnie Cohen

Under Secretary of State for Management.

Ruth Davis

Director of Foreign Service Institute, who reports to the Office of Under Secretary for Management. This Office is responsible for training all Department of State staff (including ambassadors).

Daniel Kurtzer

Ambassador to Israel.

Cliff Sobel

Ambassador to the Netherlands.

Stuart Bernstein

Ambassador to Denmark.

Nancy Brinker

Ambassador to Hungary

Frank Lavin

Ambassador to Singapore.

Ron Weiser

Ambassador to Slovakia.

Mel Sembler

Ambassador to Italy.

Martin Silverstein

Ambassador to Uruguay.

Lincoln Bloomfield

Assistant Secretary of State for Political Military Affairs.

Jay Lefkowitz

Deputy Assistant to the President and Director of the Domestic Policy Council.

Ken Melman

White House Political Director.

Brad Blakeman

White House Director of Scheduling.

Quoting WImom2:

Quoting Eilish:

Quoting WImom2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)