Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The Holy Father desires for peaceful dialogue...not inflammatory speeches which will diminsh the possiblities of a peaceful resolve between the Nations involved!

Sheikh Tamimi attacks Israel, pope walks out

A leading Palestinian cleric commandeered an evening devoted to interfaith dialogue with Pope Benedict XVI on Monday to rant against Israel for "killing Gaza's children," "bulldozing Palestinian homes" and "destroying mosques."

In an impromptu speech, delivered in Arabic at the Notre Dame Pontifical Institute in Jerusalem, Sheikh Tayseer Tamimi, chief Islamic judge in the Palestinian Authority, launched a 10-minute tirade against the State of Israel for confiscating Palestinians' land and carrying out war crimes against the residents of Gaza.

He also called for the immediate return of all Palestinian refugees, and called on Christians and Muslims to unite against Israel.

Tamimi invoked the name of Saladin, the Muslim sultan who recaptured Jerusalem from the Crusaders in 1187. Tamimi said that unlike Israel, Saladin upheld the religious freedoms of all faiths.

Following the diatribe and before the meeting was officially over, the pope exited the premises. However, he shook Tamimi's hand before walking out.

The pope, speaking before Tamimi, discussed the importance of religion and truth for the advancement of humanity's mutual understanding.

Pope Benedict XVI, center, listens along with Rabbi Shear Yashuv Cohen, left, Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, second left, Latin Patriarch Fouad Twal, second right, and Sheikh Taysir Tamimi during an interfaith gathering at the Notre Dame Center in Jerusalem, Monday, May 11, 2009.

He was visibly uncomfortable with the tone of Tamimi's discourse. Even those who did not understand his Arabic quickly understood that the Muslim cleric was giving a militant speech.

Several attempts were made by Latin Patriarch in the Holy Land Fouad Twal, a Palestinian, to politely stop Tamimi. But Tamimi would not be deterred from reading his written speech, apparently prepared in advance without the knowledge of the organizers.

When Tamimi finished, applause could be heard from a few dozen in an audience of a few hundred.

Father Federico Lombardi, director of the Holy See Press Office, responded to Tamimi's tirade by e-mail.

"The intervention of Sheikh Tayseer Tamimi was not previewed by the organizers of the interreligious meeting that took place at Notre Dame Center in Jerusalem.

"In a meeting dedicated for dialogue this intervention was a direct negation of what dialogue should be. We hope that such incident will not damage the mission of the Holy Father aiming at promoting peace and interreligious dialogue as he has clearly affirmed in many occasions in this pilgrimage.

"We hope also that interreligious dialogue in the Holy Land will not be damaged by this incident," Lombardi said.

Haifa Chief Rabbi Shear Yashuv Cohen, the only Jewish representative on the stage with the pope, attacked Tamimi afterwards for "cynically exploiting the media opportunity to incite and disparage the State of Israel."

Cohen, who is also the cochairman of a joint Chief Rabbinate-Holy See interreligious committee, said he would refuse to meet with Tamimi again.

Oded Weiner, director-general of the Chief Rabbinate, called Tamimi's comments "scandalous" and said the Rabbinate was cutting off all ties with him.

"This unplanned speech embarrassed and was disrespectful toward our honored guest, the pope," Weiner said immediately after the speech.

"While the pope comes on a mission of peace and brotherhood, Sheikh Tamimi comes with a message of war," Weiner said.

The Foreign Ministry and Tourism Ministry released a joint statement saying it was "very unfortunate" that the sheikh took advantage of the event to "wildly incite against Israel."

The statement said that Israel condemned the comments, and that instead of furthering peace and dialogue, the sheikh chose to "sow division and hatred between Israel and the Palestinians, and Jews, Moslems and Christians."

Tamimi staged an identical verbal attack against Israel during Pope John Paul II's visit in March 2000.

Then, Tamimi called on "the occupier" to stop "strangling Jerusalem and oppressing its residents."

Citing land confiscations, house demolitions, settlements and the Baruch Goldstein massacre in Hebron in 1994, Tamimi said Israel had a long record of "genocide" and "shooting and wounding Palestinian children."

"The establishment of an independent Palestinian state with Yasser Arafat as its president and Jerusalem as its capital - this will stop the strife between the religions," Tamimi said at the time.

He also refused to shake the hand of then-chief Rabbi Yisrael Meir Lau.

Rev. Dr. Trond Bakkevig of the Council of Religious Institutions of the Holy Land, the interfaith body that works with Tamimi, said he was "terribly sorry" about Tamimi's speech. But he hoped that it would not shed a negative light on the entire evening.

"It is important that the whole evening is not just Tamimi's speech," said Bakkevig, who represented the (Lutheran) Church of Norway

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1242029499952&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull

by on May. 12, 2009 at 1:36 AM
Replies (31-40):
Della529
by Matlock on May. 12, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Quoting Scorpio359:

Quoting sweetie00:

Quoting Della529:

This is ignorance personafied and if you would have taken the time to actually research anything, you would know that the Pope didn't even bother to leave until after Tamimi had completed his speech.  What does that say?  Really?  Was the Pope being polite...or was he INTERESTED in hearing what the Palestinian cleric had to say?

Considering you are only willing to believe everything that suits you, I would guess you will never know!

yes, and he left AFTER the speech and he shook the guy's hand! This post is at best, misleading, naturally from a rightie.

You irritate the hell out of me. Why do libs and dems have to be such jackasses? My dad was a democrat and believed the govt owed him everything. He was the biggest fool in town. Glad I got away and had a decent mom. And the pope is a very loving man and has a lot of patience with idiots.

It's very interesting that you claim my irritation of you...look into your closest mirror.  I'm a "lib" or a "dem"?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, you are, in a word from your beloved bible, a FOOL~ I'm neither!  Not a soul on this planet owes me a grain of sand.  I choose CONSERVATIVE LIBERTARIAN!  And, as a consequence, that negates OUR government involvement in doling out BILLIONS of dollars (unfairly, I will add) to a theocracy!  A THEOCRACY who CHOOSES to use my country and it's resources to maintain a campaign in a means that isn't much different to how the COLONIST's massacred and stole from the American Indian.

Oh, so you were raised to believe the pope is a loving man?  The pope's are always so loving...

luvmygrndhg
by on May. 12, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Quoting sweetie00:

Quoting Della529:

This is ignorance personafied and if you would have taken the time to actually research anything, you would know that the Pope didn't even bother to leave until after Tamimi had completed his speech.  What does that say?  Really?  Was the Pope being polite...or was he INTERESTED in hearing what the Palestinian cleric had to say?

Considering you are only willing to believe everything that suits you, I would guess you will never know!

yes, and he left AFTER the speech and he shook the guy's hand! This post is at best, misleading, naturally from a rightie.

Which carries no more meaning than the same as Obama shaking Chavez hand.  Didn't ya'll call that diplomacy?

~*~Peace and blessings~*~
Della529
by Matlock on May. 12, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting Della529:

Quoting blondekosmic15:
Quoting sweetie00:
Della529:

Again I listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit not to ppl. such as yourselves who care nothin' about the Church except to criticize her! The Pope was being cordial when shaking the hand of Tamimi.....this does not = acceptance of the words of this man who continually wishes to stir of vengence & hatred. The Holy Father is very wise & certainly can discern this! 

Whoa!!  Based on the way you write (talk), it sounds like the voices you are hearing are no where near anything holy, blessed or otherwise.  And, if they are the voices of the "Holy Spirit",  you might do well to listen more closely.  Satan can be ANYTHING and sound like ANYTHING, dear.

The most worshipped potentate didn't sit through the ravings of a so-called "lunatic" due to unGodly knowledge?  He was "just" being "cordial"?  Yeah, okay...The man was listening because the CC holds NO mandate for political Israel being a mandate of BIBLICAL PROPORTION!

I am a practicing Catholic for 31 yrs. now....I really could care less what you believe, Della. I love the Catholic Church & the Holy Scriptures * Jesus is my best friend in life & when I pass into the other world. I do not nor ever will listen to the voices of this world unless they are in union w/ the Church & the Holy Spirit. So your empty remarks mean nothin' to me. If you wish to debate from a sincere heart...that is fine. But we both know { including God } your only intention is to criticize & belittle me for the sake of your own appeasement. To understand God you must seek him w/ a humble heart thru devout prayer on a daily basis or you will never truly know God or the Church. The Scriptures even warn us concerning this. I find it disturbing that some of you are so eager to demean me but fail to even criticize this man Tamimi for his hateful remarks which will undoubtedly cause more unrest as opposed to taking any steps forward to resolving peace between the Nations involved. It is more paramount to you to attack me & attempt to prove me wrong but seemingly care nothin' about the efforts of peace being diminshed @ the risk of these comments of this man named Tamimi~

Well, who, who!  I practiced longer than you!  I reckon I'm giving you fodder for your "hearing".  Honey, based on your comments and the things you post, I don't want to know YOUR God. 

I'm not spending my time responding to you because you affect me.  I spend my time refuting you because you are misleading people.

Maybe the Pope was interested in hearing from this Cleric.  Were you in his head?  Did Jesus walk up to you and tell you otherwise?

Raintree
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Jesus does not approve of someone who constantly corrects another for the sake of belittlement & ridicule as you have repeatedly done to me, Raintree! I have presented the TRUTH here but you refuse to accept it~

Plank alert!!

You're doing the exact same thing.

But back to the message at hand. Do you NOT see how your title is misleading? You say he walked out!! And then he ends up shaking the guy's hand. It's not quite the statement you wish to make it. That's ALL I was trying to say. Now- answer Della's question.

Stand up, this is comedy. The DNA lotto may have left you smart, but can you stand up to beauty- dictator of the heart. I can stand up for hope, faith, love but while I'm getting over certainty. Stop walking God across the road like a little old lady. - Bono

blondekosmic15
by on May. 12, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Quoting Della529:

Quoting Scorpio359:

Quoting sweetie00:

Quoting Della529:

You irritate the hell out of me. Why do libs and dems have to be such jackasses? My dad was a democrat and believed the govt owed him everything. He was the biggest fool in town. Glad I got away and had a decent mom. And the pope is a very loving man and has a lot of patience with idiots.

It's very interesting that you claim my irritation of you...look into your closest mirror.  I'm a "lib" or a "dem"?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, you are, in a word from your beloved bible, a FOOL~ I'm neither!  Not a soul on this planet owes me a grain of sand.  I choose CONSERVATIVE LIBERTARIAN!  And, as a consequence, that negates OUR government involvement in doling out BILLIONS of dollars (unfairly, I will add) to a theocracy!  A THEOCRACY who CHOOSES to use my country and it's resources to maintain a campaign in a means that isn't much different to how the COLONIST's massacred and stole from the American Indian.

Oh, so you were raised to believe the pope is a loving man?  The pope's are always so loving...

I am sorry you do not understand this. My parents were both devout Catholics who taught me extensively about the Pope & the Catholic Church but as a Christian the Holy Spirit is the ONE who enforces & touches the heart to continually learn about the Scriptures & Christianity. We have teachers upon this earth but w/ out the grace from God the very teachings we learn will not be embraced absent of God's love & enlightenment. This is all that I am attempting to explain here, Della~

blondekosmic15
by on May. 12, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Jesus does not approve of someone who constantly corrects another for the sake of belittlement & ridicule as you have repeatedly done to me, Raintree! I have presented the TRUTH here but you refuse to accept it~

Plank alert!!

But back to the message at hand. Do you NOT see how your title is misleading? You say he walked out!! And then he ends up shaking the guy's hand. It's not quite the statement you wish to make it. That's ALL I was trying to say. Now- answer Della's question.

Sorry Raintree....you give me way too much credit. I did not write this article. Even tho it came from the Jerusalem Post it has been presented on several Catholic sites awarding it confirmation not to mention the Vatican releasing a statement concerning their discontent in reference to the comment. What does it matter when he walked out.....the Pope is obviously not happy w/ a comment like this. Would anyone who truly seeks peace in the Middle East be accepting of these divisive remarks! I should hope not! I have answered Della's ? more than once, Raintree!

Raintree
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2009 at 3:45 PM

You wrote the title of the post, yes?

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Plank alert!!

Sorry Raintree....you give me way too much credit. I did not write this article. Even tho it came from the Jerusalem Post it has been presented on several Catholic sites awarding it confirmation not to mention the Vatican releasing a statement concerning their discontent in reference to the comment. What does it matter when he walked out.....the Pope is obviously not happy w/ a comment like this. Would anyone who truly seeks peace in the Middle East be accepting of these divisive remarks! I should hope not! I have answered Della's ? more than once, Raintree!

Stand up, this is comedy. The DNA lotto may have left you smart, but can you stand up to beauty- dictator of the heart. I can stand up for hope, faith, love but while I'm getting over certainty. Stop walking God across the road like a little old lady. - Bono

blondekosmic15
by on May. 12, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Plank alert!!

I am sorry if I come across sometimes in a harsh way Raintree but when I defend myself or the topic @ hand it is for the sake of confirming the issue or to defend the beliefs/opinions which I express. When some of you come across in a harsh & arrogant manner it really seems to be a deliberate attack upon someone who is a Christian who will not compromise her beliefs. I have been a member of several debate groups for the past 2 yrs. & I have witnessed countless times Christians being attacked b/c they stand firm according to the Scriptures as opposed to Christians who will waver & compromise for the sake of not being ridiculed & mocked. The latter are usually left alone & not picked on~

blondekosmic15
by on May. 12, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Quoting Raintree:

You wrote the title of the post, yes?

Thank you for the compliement Raintree.....I am not a Journalist or a writer! I did not compose this. Pls. contact the Jerusalem Post~

Sheikh Tamimi attacks Israel, pope walks out

spoiled_wife
by Member on May. 12, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Just making sure I understand this.

If the Pope sits through a speech like this, shakes hands with the man afterwards......It's  being "Cordial".......

If the President does those things....... He's a disgrace who is showing that he approves of or is in the least willing to listen (God forbid)  to someone of this calibur..........

Okay......... lol

I personally have no thoughts on the Pope. I have little respect for a man that was a member of Hitler's youth..... YEah Yeah I know.. He was "drafted:"  He was "Forced" into it... lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)