Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The Holy Father desires for peaceful dialogue...not inflammatory speeches which will diminsh the possiblities of a peaceful resolve between the Nations involved!

Sheikh Tamimi attacks Israel, pope walks out

A leading Palestinian cleric commandeered an evening devoted to interfaith dialogue with Pope Benedict XVI on Monday to rant against Israel for "killing Gaza's children," "bulldozing Palestinian homes" and "destroying mosques."

In an impromptu speech, delivered in Arabic at the Notre Dame Pontifical Institute in Jerusalem, Sheikh Tayseer Tamimi, chief Islamic judge in the Palestinian Authority, launched a 10-minute tirade against the State of Israel for confiscating Palestinians' land and carrying out war crimes against the residents of Gaza.

He also called for the immediate return of all Palestinian refugees, and called on Christians and Muslims to unite against Israel.

Tamimi invoked the name of Saladin, the Muslim sultan who recaptured Jerusalem from the Crusaders in 1187. Tamimi said that unlike Israel, Saladin upheld the religious freedoms of all faiths.

Following the diatribe and before the meeting was officially over, the pope exited the premises. However, he shook Tamimi's hand before walking out.

The pope, speaking before Tamimi, discussed the importance of religion and truth for the advancement of humanity's mutual understanding.

Pope Benedict XVI, center, listens along with Rabbi Shear Yashuv Cohen, left, Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, second left, Latin Patriarch Fouad Twal, second right, and Sheikh Taysir Tamimi during an interfaith gathering at the Notre Dame Center in Jerusalem, Monday, May 11, 2009.

He was visibly uncomfortable with the tone of Tamimi's discourse. Even those who did not understand his Arabic quickly understood that the Muslim cleric was giving a militant speech.

Several attempts were made by Latin Patriarch in the Holy Land Fouad Twal, a Palestinian, to politely stop Tamimi. But Tamimi would not be deterred from reading his written speech, apparently prepared in advance without the knowledge of the organizers.

When Tamimi finished, applause could be heard from a few dozen in an audience of a few hundred.

Father Federico Lombardi, director of the Holy See Press Office, responded to Tamimi's tirade by e-mail.

"The intervention of Sheikh Tayseer Tamimi was not previewed by the organizers of the interreligious meeting that took place at Notre Dame Center in Jerusalem.

"In a meeting dedicated for dialogue this intervention was a direct negation of what dialogue should be. We hope that such incident will not damage the mission of the Holy Father aiming at promoting peace and interreligious dialogue as he has clearly affirmed in many occasions in this pilgrimage.

"We hope also that interreligious dialogue in the Holy Land will not be damaged by this incident," Lombardi said.

Haifa Chief Rabbi Shear Yashuv Cohen, the only Jewish representative on the stage with the pope, attacked Tamimi afterwards for "cynically exploiting the media opportunity to incite and disparage the State of Israel."

Cohen, who is also the cochairman of a joint Chief Rabbinate-Holy See interreligious committee, said he would refuse to meet with Tamimi again.

Oded Weiner, director-general of the Chief Rabbinate, called Tamimi's comments "scandalous" and said the Rabbinate was cutting off all ties with him.

"This unplanned speech embarrassed and was disrespectful toward our honored guest, the pope," Weiner said immediately after the speech.

"While the pope comes on a mission of peace and brotherhood, Sheikh Tamimi comes with a message of war," Weiner said.

The Foreign Ministry and Tourism Ministry released a joint statement saying it was "very unfortunate" that the sheikh took advantage of the event to "wildly incite against Israel."

The statement said that Israel condemned the comments, and that instead of furthering peace and dialogue, the sheikh chose to "sow division and hatred between Israel and the Palestinians, and Jews, Moslems and Christians."

Tamimi staged an identical verbal attack against Israel during Pope John Paul II's visit in March 2000.

Then, Tamimi called on "the occupier" to stop "strangling Jerusalem and oppressing its residents."

Citing land confiscations, house demolitions, settlements and the Baruch Goldstein massacre in Hebron in 1994, Tamimi said Israel had a long record of "genocide" and "shooting and wounding Palestinian children."

"The establishment of an independent Palestinian state with Yasser Arafat as its president and Jerusalem as its capital - this will stop the strife between the religions," Tamimi said at the time.

He also refused to shake the hand of then-chief Rabbi Yisrael Meir Lau.

Rev. Dr. Trond Bakkevig of the Council of Religious Institutions of the Holy Land, the interfaith body that works with Tamimi, said he was "terribly sorry" about Tamimi's speech. But he hoped that it would not shed a negative light on the entire evening.

"It is important that the whole evening is not just Tamimi's speech," said Bakkevig, who represented the (Lutheran) Church of Norway

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1242029499952&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull

by on May. 12, 2009 at 1:36 AM
Replies (51-60):
luvmygrndhg
by on May. 12, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Quoting Della529:

Well, who, who!  I practiced longer than you!  I reckon I'm giving you fodder for your "hearing".  Honey, based on your comments and the things you post, I don't want to know YOUR God. 

I'm not spending my time responding to you because you affect me.  I spend my time refuting you because you are misleading people.

Maybe the Pope was interested in hearing from this Cleric.  Were you in his head?  Did Jesus walk up to you and tell you otherwise?

So who is misleading whom?  What are you trying to do with your speculation about what was going on in the Pope's head?

As for your comment about how long you "practiced", and by the statement "
I don't want to know YOUR God." Does it mean that you have Your own God?

Hmmnnn...this bible verse is starting to make a whole lot of sense to me now:
"It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace. "Hebrews 6:4-7

~*~Peace and blessings~*~
Della529
by Matlock on May. 12, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Quoting spoiled_wife:

Just making sure I understand this.

If the Pope sits through a speech like this, shakes hands with the man afterwards......It's  being "Cordial".......

If the President does those things....... He's a disgrace who is showing that he approves of or is in the least willing to listen (God forbid)  to someone of this calibur..........

Okay......... lol

I personally have no thoughts on the Pope. I have little respect for a man that was a member of Hitler's youth..... YEah Yeah I know.. He was "drafted:"  He was "Forced" into it... lol

Really??  Hmmmm, now that issss interesting!  Thank you~

Della529
by Matlock on May. 12, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Quoting blondekosmic15:
Quoting Della529:
Quoting Scorpio359:
Quoting sweetie00:
Quoting Della529:

This is ignorance personafied and if you would have taken the time to actually research anything, you would know that the Pope didn't even bother to leave until after Tamimi had completed his speech.  What does that say?  Really?  Was the Pope being polite...or was he INTERESTED in hearing what the Palestinian cleric had to say?

Considering you are only willing to believe everything that suits you, I would guess you will never know!

yes, and he left AFTER the speech and he shook the guy's hand! This post is at best, misleading, naturally from a rightie.

You irritate the hell out of me. Why do libs and dems have to be such jackasses? My dad was a democrat and believed the govt owed him everything. He was the biggest fool in town. Glad I got away and had a decent mom. And the pope is a very loving man and has a lot of patience with idiots.

It's very interesting that you claim my irritation of you...look into your closest mirror.  I'm a "lib" or a "dem"?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, you are, in a word from your beloved bible, a FOOL~ I'm neither!  Not a soul on this planet owes me a grain of sand.  I choose CONSERVATIVE LIBERTARIAN!  And, as a consequence, that negates OUR government involvement in doling out BILLIONS of dollars (unfairly, I will add) to a theocracy!  A THEOCRACY who CHOOSES to use my country and it's resources to maintain a campaign in a means that isn't much different to how the COLONIST's massacred and stole from the American Indian.

Oh, so you were raised to believe the pope is a loving man?  The pope's are always so loving...

I am sorry you do not understand this. My parents were both devout Catholics who taught me extensively about the Pope & the Catholic Church but as a Christian the Holy Spirit is the ONE who enforces & touches the heart to continually learn about the Scriptures & Christianity. We have teachers upon this earth but w/ out the grace from God the very teachings we learn will not be embraced absent of God's love & enlightenment. This is all that I am attempting to explain here, Della~

So, what did they teach you about the mandate for the political state of Israel?  Hmmm?  Or, maybe it was the holy spirit that taught you those ideas?

blondekosmic15
by on May. 12, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Quoting Della529:

Quoting blondekosmic15:
Quoting Raintree:
Quoting blondekosmic15:
Jesus does not approve of someone who constantly corrects another for the sake of belittlement & ridicule as you have repeatedly done to me, Raintree! I have presented the TRUTH here but you refuse to accept it~

Plank alert!!

You're doing the exact same thing.

But back to the message at hand. Do you NOT see how your title is misleading? You say he walked out!! And then he ends up shaking the guy's hand. It's not quite the statement you wish to make it. That's ALL I was trying to say. Now- answer Della's question.

Sorry Raintree....you give me way too much credit. I did not write this article. Even tho it came from the Jerusalem Post it has been presented on several Catholic sites awarding it confirmation not to mention the Vatican releasing a statement concerning their discontent in reference to the comment. What does it matter when he walked out.....the Pope is obviously not happy w/ a comment like this. Would anyone who truly seeks peace in the Middle East be accepting of these divisive remarks! I should hope not! I have answered Della's ? more than once, Raintree!

Then add those sites!!  You know what types of reactions you will gain from adding these inflammatory posts, yet instead, which of these articles do you choose to post?

Show an article or statement from the Vatican without adding a snide comment, Blonde.  Do you honestly think you are exempt from insidious remarks?  Just because of your claimed relationship with Christ? 

The Holy Father desires for peaceful dialogue...not inflammatory speeches which will diminsh the possiblities of a peaceful resolve between the Nations involved!

How about this?  The Pope attends a dialogue between rival nations.  Leaves when apparent differences surmount.

There are plenty of them Della...let your fingers do the walking. I cannot live on the computer! TTYL

http://www.catholic.org/international/international_story.php?id=33531&wf=rsscol

Della529
by Matlock on May. 12, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Quoting blondekosmic15:
Quoting Raintree:
Quoting blondekosmic15:
Jesus does not approve of someone who constantly corrects another for the sake of belittlement & ridicule as you have repeatedly done to me, Raintree! I have presented the TRUTH here but you refuse to accept it~

Plank alert!!

You're doing the exact same thing.

But back to the message at hand. Do you NOT see how your title is misleading? You say he walked out!! And then he ends up shaking the guy's hand. It's not quite the statement you wish to make it. That's ALL I was trying to say. Now- answer Della's question.

Sorry Raintree....you give me way too much credit. I did not write this article. Even tho it came from the Jerusalem Post it has been presented on several Catholic sites awarding it confirmation not to mention the Vatican releasing a statement concerning their discontent in reference to the comment. What does it matter when he walked out.....the Pope is obviously not happy w/ a comment like this. Would anyone who truly seeks peace in the Middle East be accepting of these divisive remarks! I should hope not! I have answered Della's ? more than once, Raintree!

REALLY?  YOU ANSWERED MY (CURRENT) QUESTION?

Were you in his head?  Did Jesus walk up to you and tell you otherwise?

Della529
by Matlock on May. 12, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Quoting blondekosmic15:
Quoting Raintree:

You wrote the title of the post, yes?

Thank you for the compliement Raintree.....I am not a Journalist or a writer! I did not compose this. Pls. contact the Jerusalem Post~

Sheikh Tamimi attacks Israel, pope walks out

The Pope walks out from a link titled Sheikh Tamimi ATTACKS Israel, pope (didn't even bother to capitalize) walks out.  And you are thanking someone, believing that you have been complimented?

Della529
by Matlock on May. 12, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Quoting luvmygrndhg:
Quoting rayzensun:
What better facade than a “church” to cover the antichrist’s real identity? The Bible tells us that Satan, the devil, “deceives the whole world.” (Revelation 12:9). Everyone in the world has been deceived by the devil and by his agent, the antichrist.

Jesus have His assurance that the gates of hell would not prevail against the Church He himself established (Matthew 16:18).  Your argument would make Him a liar.  That is impossible.

I'm not saying that there aren't evil men within the Catholic church.  Jesus himself knew this:

The Parable of the Weeds
Jesus told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared."The owner's servants came to him and said, 'Sir, didn't you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?' " 'An enemy did this,' he replied."The servants asked him, 'Do you want us to go and pull them up?'" 'No,' he answered, 'because while you are pulling the weeds, you may root up the wheat with them. Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.' "

The field is the Church, the enemy is Satan, the weeds are the unfaithful bishops, and worldly Catholics (such as Sebelius, Kerry, Biden, Fr. Jenkins (Notre Dame).  We all attend Mass side by side but Jesus knows our hearts and knows who are the wheat and who are the weeds.

we must look at what the Bible says on such subjects, since the Bible gives us many prophesies concerning the Antichrist.  We know that if this is indeed the "Last Time", then it should also mean that the Antichrist will soon be revealed to us:  "...it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come..." (1 John 2:18) 

Who is "we"?  NOBODY knows the day or the hour but God.  You are not God so you do not know.
No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.  Mark 13:32

When the Antichrist does come, there will be many, many people who will not be ready.  The idea of people not being ready for The Rapture and for the Antichrist was one of the main themes of the "Left Behind" book and movie series.  I therefore find it amazing that so many people could read these books or watch these movies, yet still remain quite unprepared for The Rapture and for the coming of the Antichrist.

There is much disagreement amongst those who subscribe to the teaching of The Rapture (which is a new interpretation of 1 Thessalonians 4:17 from the 1800s).  Will it happen pre-Tribulation, mid-Tribulation or post-Tribulation.  Does it matter?
All that Jesus said was to be ready.  What does it concern you if others are "ready"?  Worry about yourself. Are you ready?

I read the Left Behind series.  They a thought-provoking read but it is fiction.  Nobody knows if things are going to happen just as LaHaye says.  I trust the Bible and the Church.

The Bible speaks of two different Beasts arising on the world scene at about the same time.  The second beast will help the first beast, the Antichrist.  The second beast will be his "False Prophet" assistant:  "And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth;  and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon.  And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast..." (Revelation 13:11-12)  Historical Baptists have always held that the Pope of Rome will be such an evil man.  Why have so many Baptists been so sure that a future Pope would be either the Antichrist or else the other Beast who would help the Antichrist as he murders all Baptists and other Christians through beheading, in a similar fashion to the way the Muslims who believe the Koran now do.  ("Strike off their heads till ye have made a great slaughter among them." - Sura 47:4, the Koran)  There are many reasons for this historical Baptist belief.  Nevertheless, because of this belief, there are many Baptists who think that Pope Benedict XVI might actually one day become the Antichrist.

Ah, you're a Baptist...I see...they are always right.

Baptist Christianity is a paradoxical and conflicted force in American religion, politics, and society. On the one hand, Baptists have historically been staunch supporters of church/state separation and freedom of conscience - and many Baptist churches remain so. Southern Baptists, however, have become the largest, most powerful force opposed to church/state separation, personal liberty, and autonomy in America. They were also a powerful defender of slavery and segregation....Their history can be traced back to the early days of the Protestant Reformaion - specifically, the radical wing of the Reformation which was rejected by major Protestant leaders like Luther and Zwingli.

By the tone of your message I think you are more ready to do some beheading than the Pope.

WHAT!!!!?

luvmygrndhg
by on May. 12, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Quoting Della529:
Quoting spoiled_wife:

Just making sure I understand this.

If the Pope sits through a speech like this, shakes hands with the man afterwards......It's  being "Cordial".......

If the President does those things....... He's a disgrace who is showing that he approves of or is in the least willing to listen (God forbid)  to someone of this calibur..........

Okay......... lol

I personally have no thoughts on the Pope. I have little respect for a man that was a member of Hitler's youth..... YEah Yeah I know.. He was "drafted:"  He was "Forced" into it... lol

Really??  Hmmmm, now that issss interesting!  Thank you~

You're making it sound as if it was some big secret.  When he was cardinal Ratzinger openly wrote about that time in his life ( Milestones: Memoirs: 1927 - 1977) .  What are you going to do when your own children are "drafted" and "forced" to serve in Obama's Youth Army

~*~Peace and blessings~*~
Della529
by Matlock on May. 12, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Quoting luvmygrndhg: 
Quoting Della529:

Just because I'm non-practicing doesn't mean I don't follow the dictates and understand Catholicism and Psychology.  NO, I do NOT love the pope, HE isn't worthy of my undying devotion...only CHRIST and our FATHER is worthy of human worship.  Nor, do I give the pope a GODLY status on earth.

FYI - Catholics do not worship the Pope nor do we give him godly status.  You obviously have no knowledge of what the Catholic Church truly teaches.

I don't go along with the belief that Catholics don't have some ungodly belief/trust/worship in the power of the pope (or saints).  People are not only required to 'kiss the pontifacate ring' which is a form of idolatry, they are also subjected to follow ONE MAN's decisions for millions of people. Peter might have been the FIRST, but the current teachings are not found in antiquity.

DON'T TELL ME my knowledge of Catholicism.

This isn't hate-speech, so I can only believe in your enthusiastic zeal for Catholicism, you will finally answer my question...Where is the CC's claim to a biblical mandate for the political "state" of Israel?

It isn't hate-speech, really?  Here, if you truly want to know, you can look it up yourself.  This is a searchable Catechism:  http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc.htm  Just type in Israel.  There are 77 entries that mention Israel.

You may not be aware of my previous questions to the OP.  She claims not to respond to hate-speech, yet she adds controversial posts that create hate.  I'll take a look at what you are presenting, but I won't find that the Vatican has issued a mandate, such as DISPENSATIONALISM, the belief that Israel on a politcal front must be created to promote and hasten the return of Christ. 

Della529
by Matlock on May. 12, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Quoting blondekosmic15:
Quoting luvmygrndhg:
Quoting Della529:

Just because I'm non-practicing doesn't mean I don't follow the dictates and understand Catholicism and Psychology.  NO, I do NOT love the pope, HE isn't worthy of my undying devotion...only CHRIST and our FATHER is worthy of human worship.  Nor, do I give the pope a GODLY status on earth.

The Pope is a successor to St. Peter. Peter was not worshipped...only respected & revered as the leader of the Church! Anymore than we worship any of the Saints of the CC. They are deeply respected & loved b/c God is the one who elevates them to Sainthood esp. his Mother Mary!

WOULD YOU HAVE KISSED ST. PETER'S RING?  OR BETTER YET, WOULD HE HAVE ALLOWED YOU TO?

FYI - Catholics do not worship the Pope nor do we give him godly status.  You obviously have no knowledge of what the Catholic Church truly teaches.

This isn't hate-speech, so I can only believe in your enthusiastic zeal for Catholicism, you will finally answer my question...Where is the CC's claim to a biblical mandate for the political "state" of Israel?

It isn't hate-speech, really?  Here, if you truly want to know, you can look it up yourself.  This is a searchable Catechism:  http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc.htm  Just type in Israel.  There are 77 entries that mention Israel.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)