Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Will you need a prescription for Cheerios???

Posted by on May. 14, 2009 at 3:05 PM
  • 34 Replies

WASHINGTON – Federal regulators are scolding the maker of Cheerios, saying it made inappropriate claims about the popular cereal's ability to lower cholesterol and treat heart disease.

The Food and Drug Administration says in a warning letter to General Mills that language on the Cheerios box suggests the cereal is designed to prevent or treat heart disease. Regulators say that only FDA-approved drugs are allowed to make such claims.

Among other claims, the labeling states: "you can lower your cholesterol 4 percent in six weeks."

General Mills said the health claims on Cheerios have been approved for 12 years and the FDA's complaints deal with how the language appears on the box. The company said in a statement that the science was not in question.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090512/ap_on_bi_ge/us_cheerios_warning;_ylt=AlTF8kClPoocLvBOPJeDenDVJRIF

by on May. 14, 2009 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Eilish
by on May. 14, 2009 at 3:11 PM

I despise the FDA with a passion! If General Mills has evidence to back up their claim, then they have a right to slap that statment on their box. Screw the FDA!

Please Click on the Pics to follow the links!

stormcris
by Christy on May. 14, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Yes I thought this would be the result of HR 875 and looks like it is. So, I guess next food won't be able to say it is nutritious or vitamin C cannot say it boosts the immune system.

Quoting Eilish:

I despise the FDA with a passion! If General Mills has evidence to back up their claim, then they have a right to slap that statment on their box. Screw the FDA!

tbache
by Member on May. 14, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Maybe the FDA is trying to prevent stupid law suits to companies.

canthaveboys1
by on May. 14, 2009 at 3:21 PM

OMG I dont care I like cheerios because they are good tasting!  

stormcris
by Christy on May. 14, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Hmmm well that is not what it says in the bill that congress passed giving them this power. They said that only the FDA approved medicine (which are sued all the time) can state that it has health benifits.

Quoting tbache:

Maybe the FDA is trying to prevent stupid law suits to companies.

sweetie00
by on May. 14, 2009 at 3:24 PM

you have to pay attn to the wording. they say it CAN lower cholesterol....not that it will. you cant legislate common sense

tbache
by Member on May. 14, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Well I think Cheerios' statement means that if you eat cheerios (over other high cholesterol foods like bacon) for breakfast you can lower your cholesterol in whatever the time frame is they state

athenax3
by on May. 14, 2009 at 3:34 PM

They don't want people curing themselves and what ails them with a healthy diet and excercise, then who would pay for all those damn pills?

ShadowRaven
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2009 at 3:53 PM

It says that the "language on the box suggests that Cheerios were DESIGNED to prevent and/or treat heart disease".

GM says that the FDA's complaint deals with the language on the box, in which case GM would be in the wrong. Yes there is research to suggest that Cheerios have added health benefits. However that is not what it was designed for, so GM shouldn't be making that suggestion.

There's also the fact that most "natural" medicines, diet pills, etc put a warning on the label that it's not FDA approved, it is not designed to diagnose or treat illness, and to consult a physician before using the product.

The fact of the matter is that no matter whether the science is sound, it was not actually designed to provide these benefits and they need to change the language.

Come join my group, The Speakeasy!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/TheSpeakeasy

Raintree
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Quoting athenax3:

They don't want people curing themselves and what ails them with a healthy diet and excercise, then who would pay for all those damn pills?

This.

And I think I'll stay with good old Hippocrates on this one-

"Let food be your medicine''

Stand up, this is comedy. The DNA lotto may have left you smart, but can you stand up to beauty- dictator of the heart. I can stand up for hope, faith, love but while I'm getting over certainty. Stop walking God across the road like a little old lady. - Bono

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)