Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

No wonder woman have a poor body image....

Posted by   + Show Post

This picture is floating around ABC NEWS website as real news...(not quoting) but the basic story is the Julia Roberts had the nerve to run around Hawaii with her stretch marks showing....

by on May. 14, 2009 at 4:42 PM
Replies (11-18):
momoftwins240
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Quoting EnigmaMuse:

Hmmmm.

Not really sure what her running around in a bikini has to do with women's poor body image issues. I think the picture would show women that these bodies changes are natural and one is still beautiful even after these changes happen.

For the most part. Poor body image stems from the person themselves. Not outside images/opinions and what not.

If a woman fully accepts and loves herself. No matter what images or opinions are put out there, she will have a healthy body image. No matter what she looks like.

If women want to have a healthy body image in regards to themselves. They need to learn how to love and fully accept themselves.. Others accepting you means squat and doesn't make you feel any better if you don't accept yourself.

I couldn't have said it better myself!

vlester
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Quoting Eilish:

Well I feel a LOT better about my midriff .... seems Julia and I have something in common.

Peajewel
by Member on May. 15, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Quoting EnigmaMuse:

Hmmmm.

Not really sure what her running around in a bikini has to do with women's poor body image issues. I think the picture would show women that these bodies changes are natural and one is still beautiful even after these changes happen.

For the most part. Poor body image stems from the person themselves. Not outside images/opinions and what not.

If a woman fully accepts and loves herself. No matter what images or opinions are put out there, she will have a healthy body image. No matter what she looks like.

If women want to have a healthy body image in regards to themselves. They need to learn how to love and fully accept themselves.. Others accepting you means squat and doesn't make you feel any better if you don't accept yourself.

Hmmmmmmm

What I think the OP is trying to say here is that the media has a pretty large hold on things.  They put out there what woman are "supposed" to look like and although you are correct partly when you say that a self image comes from within.  So many women are influenced by this and do let it effect how they look at themselves.  This picture is a perfect example of what the media does.  Julia Roberts is a beautiful woman who is 39 and had twins, it is very normal for her to look the way she does.  The media takes it and makes it look like it is a bad thing for her to look that way and so others will look at it and say "oh yes, they are right" and then some poor woman out there that does not have a strong self image will be worried that she is not good enough. 

You pretty much are agreeing with the OP without even realizing it.  Every woman should have a strong self worth but they do not!  All the women on here are saying.  Way to go Julia.  The only difference in what you are saying and MomIWant is saying is that you think it should just be a fact with all women and should just come from within and MomIWant is saying it is not easy for all women and this kind of stuff is a huge step back for women.

jalex
by on May. 15, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Facts are facts.  Yes, it is great for women to find themselves beautiful no matter what, but realistically, the news making her out of be less than beautiful makes girls and women feel like they have to look a certain way to be considered ~beautiful~. 

..go Julia!

Quoting Peajewel:

Quoting EnigmaMuse:

Hmmmm.

Hmmmmmmm

What I think the OP is trying to say here is that the media has a pretty large hold on things.  They put out there what woman are "supposed" to look like and although you are correct partly when you say that a self image comes from within.  So many women are influenced by this and do let it effect how they look at themselves.  This picture is a perfect example of what the media does.  Julia Roberts is a beautiful woman who is 39 and had twins, it is very normal for her to look the way she does.  The media takes it and makes it look like it is a bad thing for her to look that way and so others will look at it and say "oh yes, they are right" and then some poor woman out there that does not have a strong self image will be worried that she is not good enough. 

You pretty much are agreeing with the OP without even realizing it.  Every woman should have a strong self worth but they do not!  All the women on here are saying.  Way to go Julia.  The only difference is she is saying it is hard for some.

TaiyoandMe
by Member on May. 15, 2009 at 1:59 PM

One woman called my stretch marks the roadmap to motherhood!  LOL

Who are we trying to impress anyway!?  My sister is 42 and I'm 27.  She's got 10 times better complextion, figure, everything!  And she has 3 kids and I only have 1!

Well...I do have better hair.  HA!  LOL!  Just Kidding, Lees!

Peajewel
by Member on May. 15, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Quoting jalex:

Facts are facts.  Yes, it is great for women to find themselves beautiful no matter what, but realistically, the news making her out of be less than beautiful makes girls and women feel like they have to look a certain way to be considered ~beautiful~. 

..go Julia!

Quoting Peajewel:

Quoting EnigmaMuse:

Hmmmm.

Hmmmmmmm

You pretty much are agreeing with the OP without even realizing it.  Every woman should have a strong self worth but they do not!  All the women on here are saying.  Way to go Julia.  The only difference is she is saying it is hard for some.

I just want to be sure that you quoted me cuz we are on the same page right?  Normally when someone quotes me, it is because they disagree with me.....hee hee -- I am worried I did not say what I wanted to say correctly now that I got quoted. 

lifescholar
by Member on May. 15, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Aw, good for her!

I'm even too scared to try on one-piece suits!!  My tummy is quite a bit bigger than hers, although all the extra skin is lower, so from my belly button up doesn't look too bad.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

WildKat
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Quoting shinyhappymom:

The media sucks! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN