Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another state to legalize gay marriage

Posted by on May. 14, 2009 at 5:53 PM
Pam
  • 8 Replies

New Hampshire Gov. To Sign Gay Marriage Bill With Protection For Churches

Compare 05:30 PM EST04:06 PM EST02:51 PM EST and 05:30 PM EST04:06 PM EST02:51 PM EST versions

New Hampshire Gov. John Lynch at the State House in Concord, N.H., Thursday, May 14, 2009. New Hampshire Gov. John Lynch says he will sign a bill to make his state the sixth to legalize gay marriage, but only if legislators make some changes. (AP Photo/Cheryl Senter)

CONCORD, N.H. - Gov. John Lynch said Thursday he will sign a bill to make his state the sixth to legalize gay marriage as soon as the Legislature makes some changes, which legislative leaders immediately said they would back.

Lynch asked that the already-approved legislation be revised to better protect churches and their employees against lawsuits if their beliefs preclude them from marrying gays. Gay marriage supporters said they do not object.

"Throughout history, our society's views of civil rights have constantly evolved and expanded," Lynch told reporters. "New Hampshire's great tradition has always been to come down on the side of individual liberties and protections."

Lynch said he personally opposes gay marriage, but decided to view the issue "through a broader lens."

A gay marriage bill and companion legislation were adopted last week, but had yet to make it the governor's desk. Now, they will be held until the changes proposed by Lynch are approved, said Senate President Sylvia Larsen.

Larsen and House Speaker Terie Norelli predicted the Legislature would act quickly to adopt the changes, perhaps as early as next week.

"I want to thank the governor for his leadership in finding a way that our state can move forward to enact marriage equality and, at the same time, respect religious tolerance," said Norelli, D-Portsmouth.

The bill's main sponsor, state Rep. Jim Splaine, said the bottom line is that Lynch supports marriage equality for gays.

Story continues below

Mo Baxley, executive director of New Hampshire Freedom to Marry Coalition, a group supporting gay marriage, approved of Lynch' proposed changes.

"This is language we can support," she said.

Four other New England states _ Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts and Vermont _ recognize same-sex marriage. Iowa is the other state to legalize gay marriage.

Lynch said he wanted the law modeled on Connecticut's, which he said contains better protections than the proposal adopted by the New Hampshire Legislature. For example, Lynch wants to be sure an organist employed by a church opposed to gay marriage could legally refuse to perform at a gay wedding.

New Hampshire Republican Party Chairman John H. Sununu criticized Lynch, a Democrat, for wiggling out of his commitment to traditional marriage.

"Once again, Gov. Lynch has discovered a way to be against something and for it at the same time," Sununu said.

Kevin Smith, executive director of gay marriage opponent Cornerstone Policy Research, said Lynch's proposed changes are a disingenuous attempt to obscure the fact Lynch misled the public into believing he opposed same-sex marriage.

by on May. 14, 2009 at 5:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
WildKat
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2009 at 5:58 PM

YAE!!!!

I wrote Governor Lynch a letter after the House and Senate passed it.  He's been under a lot of pressure to veto and I am so glad he is not caving in to it.  A friend of mine had brunch with him last week (she won some contest or something) and I told her ahead of time - tell him not to veto!  She was totally excited to get into it with him. 

I am finally proud of something my state is doing!  (I've lived her for 7 years now...)

Peace,

Kat

gay pride ribbonclapping

rosepetal209
by on May. 14, 2009 at 6:07 PM

"Lynch asked that the already-approved legislation be revised to better protect churches and their employees against lawsuits if their beliefs preclude them from marrying gays. "

I think the above is the best thing that can be added to any state that approves gay marriage. I don't agree with gay marriage but it doesn't appear that there will be any way to stop it from becoming legal so at least there should be provisions that keep churches who believe its wrong from having to preform these weddings. I'm in California where we voted NO on gay marriage but they simply went over the voters heads and got their way anyway. I'm all for protecting a churches right to NOT preform any ceremony that it believes and teaches is wrong.

Give Obama time & he'll have my
trucker paying a wheel turning tax
to support his "change".

canthaveboys1
by on May. 14, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Good for them! clapping

rachana
by Member on May. 14, 2009 at 6:22 PM
sweetie00
by on May. 14, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Quoting rachana:

LOL!

karin0622
by New Member on May. 14, 2009 at 6:54 PM

When I read articles like this, it just makes me feel like I'm living in a backward, anti-progress state.  Oh, wait - I am...I live in Florida.  Our elected officials want to drill off shore, build more houses (which aren't selling), pave over more wetlands and totally destroy what's left of the Everglades.  Congratulations to the residents of New Hampshire - your government gets it.

aidans_mama
by on May. 14, 2009 at 7:20 PM

holy hotcakes!!!  seems as though we are on a roll.

Shop Avon at home or in your office with personal delivery and guaranteed satisfaction. 

T. Jackson, Avon Independent Sales Representative.  youravon.com/tjackson8761 

momoftwins240
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Quoting canthaveboys1:

Good for them! clapping

YEAH!!!!!!!!  One more down!

gay pride ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured