Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you get birth control for your teenager?

Posted by on May. 14, 2009 at 7:40 PM
  • 53 Replies

If you have a son, would you buy him condoms?

If you have a daughter, would you take her to the doctor to get birth control pills?

Why or why not?

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on May. 14, 2009 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lmills
by Member on May. 14, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Yes, I would.  I would rather this be a perfect world where we wouldn't have to think of it but it is not.  I work for child support, so I know how many teens get pregnant.  Alot are under age of 18 years, so their mother has to be the client getting child support.  The guy has to have his mother/dad sign for him for paternity testing, etc.   It is so sad that these kids have to grow so fast!

TikkiNippets
by Member on May. 14, 2009 at 7:51 PM

I will teach my daughters that the best thing is abstinence that alone will prevent std's and pregnancy and that sex is something that is sacred and is best shared only with your future husband. I will tell them if they decide to have sex they need to be safe and to at least use condoms and that if they are old enough to have sex then they are old enough for the consequences.

LDS, Married a Marine, 2yr old daughter with another on the way!

rlemde
by on May. 14, 2009 at 7:52 PM

I dont' support my kids having sex when they're that age. Therefore if they're going to they're going to have to step up and get their own reproductive exams and protections taken care of on their own.  

EnigmaMuse
by on May. 14, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Absolutely.

When my son was a teenager we kept a supply of condoms in the house for his use.  We never asked  about the use, just refilled the supply when it needed to be refilled. At least we knew he was using them..lol

I was always a firm believer in edcuation and protection. I had no control if or when my son decided to become sexually active. What I did have some control over was how educated he was in regards to sex/sexual situations/reprecussions ect, and helping to make sure that the use of protection was encouraged.

tericared
by on May. 14, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Quoting TikkiNippets:

I will teach my daughters that the best thing is abstinence that alone will prevent std's and pregnancy and that sex is something that is sacred and is best shared only with your future husband. I will tell them if they decide to have sex they need to be safe and to at least use condoms and that if they are old enough to have sex then they are old enough for the consequences.

I agree this is the best way to do it...just say noe just doesnt work for every kid they have to be educated and prepared IF they do take that step..

Palestinian People are defending themselves and their Land and their Homes against Israeli war crimes and Israeli war criminals, both military and civilian.

christina0607
by on May. 14, 2009 at 8:15 PM

we will be teaching abstinence first and foremost. We will also teach the the consequences of sex too young. After all that they will also know that it is ultimately their decision.

No I will not be heading out to buy them condoms. But if they ask for a ride to the store to get them I won't deny the ride.

lucy23794
by on May. 14, 2009 at 8:18 PM

yup sure would. and you would know why. teenagers are  horny. i was and i never listen to my mom. i'm not saying all teenagers have sex but if you give them a proper speech and tell them everything what could happen, then there's a better chance of them not having sex or waiting or having protected safe sex.

WImom2
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2009 at 8:21 PM

NO. Instead of typing out all of the many reasons, lets just go with this, we are Catholic. That should give you all the general idea.

ShadowRaven
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2009 at 8:21 PM

While abstinence is best, I would rather buy my son condoms and know that he's being as safe as possible than have him running around without protection.

Come join my group, The Speakeasy!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/TheSpeakeasy

ddbz
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Yes. I've already given her the Guardasil vax. She's already gotten hold of some condoms that she keeps "hidden" from me in her dresser.

However, since she's only 14, I don't think she's responsible enough to trust to use BC correctly, so I worry that she might have unprotected sex anyway.

I'm also a firm believer that abstinence is the best way to prevent pregnancy and STD's even though no one should realistically expect a girl to follow through ... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured