Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should UHC Cover Faith Healing?

blondekosmic15
I love the Fall. Chill in the air decorated w/ bronze leaves & holidays approaching~
Tuesday at 9:49 PM
Posted by on May. 17, 2009 at 5:22 AM
  • 11 Replies

Should Universal Health Care Cover Faith Healing?

By Amy Sullivan Thursday, May. 14, 2009
faith healing

Lobbying may be the one remaining recession-proof industry, and as Washington prepares for a summer-long debate over how to reform health care, lobbyists for every conceivable interest group have camped out in congressional anterooms to press their case. There are advocates for doctors, insurance companies, patients, nurses, pharmaceutical companies, big business and small business. And for faith healers too.

Of course, they wouldn't call themselves "faith healers." They argue that the term dismisses what they do as simple wishful thinking. But practitioners of Christian Science as well as other alternative therapies - including acupuncture, biofeedback, herbal medicine, holistic medicine and Reiki, a Japanese healing and relaxation technique - are intent on influencing the coming health-care-reform process. "We're advocates for people who want access to spiritual treatment," says Phil Davis, a Christian Science practitioner and his church's chief lobbyist. Their goal is to encourage Congress to think of health care as more than just medical care - and to allow insurance companies to provide coverage for their holistic treatments. (See the top 10 medical breakthroughs of 2008.)

The Christian Scientists have had some success in this area in the past. Founded in 1866 by Mary Baker Eddy, the Church of Christ, Scientist has worked for nearly a century with state licensing boards and legislatures to obtain recognition or acceptance for its practitioners, who treat injured or ill individuals by praying for them. Contrary to popular belief, Christian Scientists are not prevented from seeking medical treatment; the church just wants to make sure that both members and nonmembers are also able to afford visits to practitioners, which typically cost from $20 to $30 per session, and longer-term services of private nurses (who provide nonmedical care such as bathing, dressing wounds and feeding) and nursing facilities. TRICARE, the military health plan, already covers these services. And the Federal Employee Health Benefits program provides partial reimbursement for stays in Christian Science nursing facilities. More recently, Christian Scientists were able to obtain a special provision in the universal health-care plan enacted in Massachusetts, where the church is headquartered. In addition to exempting Christian Scientists from the requirement that all Massachusetts residents carry health insurance, the state allowed private insurer Tufts Health Plan to cover both medical and spiritual care, including stays at church nursing facilities. (Read "Debunking 10 Myths About Dieting.")

If the church could design a universal health-care plan for the country, it would allow - but not require - insurance companies to provide coverage for practitioners, nurses and nursing facilities. During the 1980s, when fee-for-service plans were more prevalent, Davis says Christian Scientists had riders that allowed them coverage with more than 300 carriers. But with the rise of health maintenance organizations (HMOs), they have found it more difficult to convince insurance companies to cover their "spiritual care."

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1897498,00.html

by on May. 17, 2009 at 5:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gypsyuma
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Since reforming our health INSURANCE system does not equate to Universal Health Care, and

since this country is only contemplating reforming health INSURANCE right now, I do not see the point to discussing any type of coverage under Universal Health Care.

I think the author of this article might want to educate herself a little before she puts pen to paper - otherwise she ends up looking like an ignorant fool.

rotPferd
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2009 at 1:16 PM

I agree Gypsy as long as the FDA stays out of it.

stormcris
by Christy on May. 17, 2009 at 2:05 PM

I think alternative medicine should be covered, and I think the FDA should be abolished. They have long overstayed their usefulness and now are just greedy and power hungry control freaks.

Goodwoman614
by Satan on May. 17, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Wellll suuuure...but only if bloodletting for the purposes of relieving the body of demonic humors is covered, too.

*pfffttt*

...any way these freaks try to gloss it, what they want is to receive payment from insurance for praying: praying being what they consider medical treatment.

Un be fuc king lievable.

OOhh I will be writing my representatives about this...

Religious freaks...back to the middle ages, yeah.

The ONLY thing that should be reimbursable is EVIDENCE BASED medicine.  And BTW, this tactic--of trying to jump in the car with other non-traditional medicine--is the same one used by these freaks for other topics...

There is evidence in support of accupunture, biofeedback, etc.

There is and can never be for faith "healing" or prayer.

This is a clear issue of separation of church and state.

shinyhappymom
by Member on May. 17, 2009 at 3:41 PM

I think a holistic approach to health would save money in the long run.  For example, a holistic Dr. would be able to suggest various methods for pain relief before resorting to medication.  Many Drs have gotten to a point of pill pushing.  These pills have side effects, but don't worry because there are pills for the side effects.... 

What I'm trying to say is; many alternative methods (accupuncture, biofeedback..) work just as well if not better than meds.  They are less expensive.  They are more likely to address the problem versus masking a symptom. 

I think it should be covered.  There should be clear guidelines such as qualifications and safety regulations. 

As for "Faith Healing", I don't really completely understand what it is.  If it's simply praying over someone then we should let the churches pay for that.  Why would there be a charge for that?  Don't people pray for free? 

Covering a hospital that is of a particular faith?  Sure, why not?  We do that already with many religions.  As long as they follow set rules for healthcare.

Della529
by Matlock on May. 17, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Well, Benny Hinn, Peter Popoff, Pat Robertson and the likes of Ernest Ansley won't be too far behind.  Wonder if they should cover payment for a trip to the Grotto of Lourdes in France?

tericared
by on May. 17, 2009 at 7:11 PM

Should Universal Health Care Cover Faith Healing?

Ok You have got to be kidding me? Charging for something that requires faith to work?

Palestinian People are defending themselves and their Land and their Homes against Israeli war crimes and Israeli war criminals, both military and civilian.

SabrinaL
by on May. 18, 2009 at 9:59 AM

I am on board for the holistic apprach but not faith healing.  I know no one that charges for faith healing why would we start now.  It isn't like they are doing somthing that would require a fee. Praying is free the only thing it takes is some time and if these people are so greedy they can't give a couple of minutes then what is the world coming to? 

Kassie09
by Member on May. 18, 2009 at 11:58 AM

No!

Moms with Attitude is a group for us moms to come together to chat,have fun,and enjoy yourselves.
http://www.cafemom.com/group/MomsWithAttitude

blinkie_ilovemygirlspink.gifblinkie_happilymarried_pink.giffullmom.gif image by Venus853

sweetie00
by on May. 18, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Quoting Gypsyuma:

Since reforming our health INSURANCE system does not equate to Universal Health Care, and

since this country is only contemplating reforming health INSURANCE right now, I do not see the point to discussing any type of coverage under Universal Health Care.

I think the author of this article might want to educate herself a little before she puts pen to paper - otherwise she ends up looking like an ignorant fool.

this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)