Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What happened to the Swine Flu?

Posted by on May. 17, 2009 at 2:31 PM
  • 8 Replies

No one is talking about the Epedemic/Pandemic? Do you think it was because of the media? Did they rush into this? Or did the Center for Disease Control, jump the gun? What are your thoughts on this?

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on May. 17, 2009 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Goodwoman614
by Satan on May. 17, 2009 at 2:37 PM

My thoughts on this follow my understanding of the science behind it: the swine flu may not have been very virulent now, but will this remain so?  There is no way to predict this.  It is the nature of viruses to mutate.  The next outbreak may prove to be like the Spanish flu pandemic of WWI.

This is why the CDC and other government agencies are working very hard at developing a vaccine.

Now as for the media, this is where I will share my opinion:  Of course they will hype this.  That is in their nature.

stormcris
by Christy on May. 17, 2009 at 2:41 PM

They realized it was killing an already fragile economy and of course money is more important than health. That being said:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A Texas man from Corpus Christi has died from the new strain of H1N1 swine flu, state health department officials said on Friday, making the fifth U.S. death from the virus.

State Health Department spokesman Doug McBride said the 33-year-old man had died earlier but the cause was only confirmed at H1N1 flu on Thursday.

On Thursday, officials reported that an Arizona woman with underlying lung disease had died from H1N1 flu. Texas reported two other deaths earlier, a 22-month old child and a pregnant woman, and Washington state has reported one.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Meh. It's influenza. And a not horrible one, at that, comparatively speaking.

I think my son had it last week, actually. He's fine.

Stand up, this is comedy. The DNA lotto may have left you smart, but can you stand up to beauty- dictator of the heart. I can stand up for hope, faith, love but while I'm getting over certainty. Stop walking God across the road like a little old lady. - Bono

SusieD250
by on May. 17, 2009 at 8:54 PM

It is still out there, so are the avian flu and the SARS problem. They are still there, just not talked about.

SabrinaL
by on May. 18, 2009 at 9:40 AM

It is definitely still out there.  It was on the news here last night about the 6th death.  I think the media has finally stopped trying to scare people.  I don't think it to be any worse than the flu and I have never been scared of it.  The media loves to make mountains out of mole hills. 

vlester
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2009 at 12:23 PM

its stil VERY much around. They are talking about it here inGA and people are getting. In some stae i can't remember a man just died

sweetie00
by on May. 18, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Quoting Goodwoman614:

My thoughts on this follow my understanding of the science behind it: the swine flu may not have been very virulent now, but will this remain so?  There is no way to predict this.  It is the nature of viruses to mutate.  The next outbreak may prove to be like the Spanish flu pandemic of WWI.

This is why the CDC and other government agencies are working very hard at developing a vaccine.

Now as for the media, this is where I will share my opinion:  Of course they will hype this.  That is in their nature.

CharmaineL
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2009 at 12:32 PM

The fervor died down for a bit, but a NYC Assistant Principal died (yesterday or today, not usre) after contracting the virus. A few more schools have also closed in the metro area.  In Japan, officials are worried as nearly 70 cases of the virus were diagnosed last week in just one day.  Currently, it seems to be spreading in schools at the fastest rate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured